+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

November 2018 AOR - Join here

fawzy01

Jan 7, 2019
Shouldn't 4 months be shorter than 17 weeks! *thoughts of an impatient applicant*

I haven't received any emails or ghost updates since December 15t, is that normal?

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Shouldn't 4 months be shorter than 17 weeks! *thoughts of an impatient applicant*

I haven't received any emails or ghost updates since December 15t, is that normal?
It's normal.

In fact the new normal is not grttget any updates for months on end

pizzaboy99

Apr 3, 2018
It's normal.

In fact the new normal is not grttget any updates for months on end
It always was. The normal was not to get updates on applications for at least 2 years in 2015. Just talk with someone who applied pre-2015 and many will tell you they waited 3-4 years for their PRs with zero updates. In 2015, the applications were made online and processing time reduced to 6-8 months. Only 2017 was an abnormal year because IRCC increased their quota 4 times and, therefore, changed their system and staff count in anticipation.

The normal has always been 6-8 months. If you feel like that is too long, imagine waiting 4 years for your PR. That should help bring some perspective.

ViAchKoN

Jun 2, 2018
It always was. The normal was not to get updates on applications for at least 2 years in 2015. Just talk with someone who applied pre-2015 and many will tell you they waited 3-4 years for their PRs with zero updates. In 2015, the applications were made online and processing time reduced to 6-8 months. Only 2017 was an abnormal year because IRCC increased their quota 4 times and, therefore, changed their system and staff count in anticipation.

The normal has always been 6-8 months. If you feel like that is too long, imagine waiting 4 years for your PR. That should help bring some perspective.
6 months is not long but what is not okay it waiting without a clue what is going with your application. Maybe a VO is looking at my application and not satisfied with something. And I can't do anything about that :(

pizzaboy99

Apr 3, 2018
Guys, sharing some insights that should hopefully help you.

PPR will take 5-6 months from AOR date. There is no point being super optimistic and thinking that your application will be the exception. Unless you are super super lucky, just chill and prepare for a wait of another 2-3 months instead of getting needlessly worked up and bugging IRCC agents pointlessly. Trust me, a conversation with them will just put more doubt and questions in your mind than relieve your anxiety, while at the same time clogging up the line for people who have been waiting 8 months and genuinely need to get through an agent

All these IP1, IP2, RPRF, ghost updates etc are useless. It has been mentioned many times, incorrectly, that eligibility is done first and then background check is done. Well, thats how it used to be but IRCC changed the process in 2017 and now after R10, both eligibility and background check are done in parallel! Therefore, you can see how useless something like an IP1 to IP2 state change is now. Before, it used to signify eligibility has been completed - now it signifies nothing at all.

Ordering GCMS notes, unless you are anticipating any problems with eligibility such as inadequate funds or reference letter missing info, is again pointless. All GCMS notes will tell you whether there were any problems with eligibility. It will give you no insight into how close you are to getting PPR. GCMS notes wait times now are 40+ days, mostly because people seem to think ordering it 45 days into their application will do something for their anxiety... only to receive the notes and find out only R10 is complete.

Hope this all helps!

pizzaboy99

Apr 3, 2018
6 months is not long but what is not okay it waiting without a clue what is going with your application. Maybe a VO is looking at my application and not satisfied with something. And I can't do anything about that :(
VOs can't be unsatisfied with your application for arbitrary reasons. They have to follow the letter of the law. If there is anything specific that you are worried about e.g. rising exchange rates put you below the required funds amount or you could not get reference letter from work in the prescribed format, then order GCMS notes in 3 months. Otherwise, have faith in the fact that a VO has to have a good reason to reject your application.

ViAchKoN

Jun 2, 2018
VOs can't be unsatisfied with your application for arbitrary reasons. They have to follow the letter of the law. If there is anything specific that you are worried about e.g. rising exchange rates put you below the required funds amount or you could not get reference letter from work in the prescribed format, then order GCMS notes in 3 months. Otherwise, have faith in the fact that a VO has to have a good reason to reject your application.
I am more worried about evidence for common-law. Don't know, was it enough.

Money is fine, work experience should be also fine - one employer and job connected to nuclear industry, so there are should not be problems with NOC.

Overall, application is good but still there is some doubts.

Last edited:

dreamer101

Star Member
Nov 19, 2018
It is cool and all talking about how long it used to take and we should have more patience. Although the system HAS BEEN revised and it is still taking a lot of time as compared to 2017 and early 2018. I understand people taking the moral high road but i think if anyone is completely fine about the process taking forever than you are not as serious as others to immigrate. So , being impatient is OK, being excited on every ghost update is OK .Just loosing hope or being disheartened is not ok .

Well thats what i think.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
I think game theory will suggest that for individuals to maximize their utility (let's assume which in this case means that they minimize their anxiety) they should make a call to IRCC regardless of the stage of their application (and assuming a reasonable point of anxiety like no MEP or long time passed without any updates). This is because one has to look at their actions in relation to actions of others.

Now optimally every one should hold their horses until 6 months are done and then they will call and connect to IRCC helpline and find the status of their application. The problem is that there is no way to know that people will still be able to connect after 6 months either, making their long wait even worse. And that lack of connection will not just be because other people are calling in to find out early about their application status, it is also because IRCC deals with tons of other stuff including student permits,visit visas, PR issues, ctiizenship, issuing passports etc. So it is reasonable to assume that they are almost always busy. Add to that the problem that this forum constitues a small sample size and the pleas to not inundate IRCC with status updates will reach a very small portion of the EE applicant population the payoff for not calling frequently and finding your status goes down very quickly.

So: optimal choice for individuals, in the absence of a central control authority, is to call and find out their status, from a game theoretical perspective. Maybe I should actually write a paper on this :p

pizzaboy99

Apr 3, 2018
I think game theory will suggest that for individuals to maximize their utility (let's assume which in this case means that they minimize their anxiety) they should make a call to IRCC regardless of the stage of their application (and assuming a reasonable point of anxiety like no MEP or long time passed without any updates). This is because one has to look at their actions in relation to actions of others.

Now optimally every one should hold their horses until 6 months are done and then they will call and connect to IRCC helpline and find the status of their application. The problem is that there is no way to know that people will still be able to connect after 6 months either, making their long wait even worse. And that lack of connection will not just be because other people are calling in to find out early about their application status, it is also because IRCC deals with tons of other stuff including student permits,visit visas, PR issues, ctiizenship, issuing passports etc. So it is reasonable to assume that they are almost always busy. Add to that the problem that this forum constitues a small sample size and the pleas to not inundate IRCC with status updates will reach a very small portion of the EE applicant population the payoff for not calling frequently and finding your status goes down very quickly.

So: optimal choice for individuals, in the absence of a central control authority, is to call and find out their status, from a game theoretical perspective. Maybe I should actually write a paper on this :p

There is no utlily to maximize. IRCC doesn't care if you call 0 times or 10 times or 100 times. You cannot jump the queue. You application with take X amount of time to be approved and nothing you can do to change that. Since every call is logged and the VO has to read every transcript of your calls when he finally looks at your file, all what you will achieve by frequently calling them is possibly piss off a VO.

I recommend reading about "tragedy of the commons" and writing a paper about that, because that is what is happening right now. People are emailing MPs like Ralph after waiting for 20 days and now Ralph's office, who used to follow up with IRCC and get detailed status updates, is now giving out generic status updates now. IRCC agents used to help people select their NOCs over the phone and now they basically read out the same screen you see when you log into your application.

Reactions: fireonbalcony

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
ummm, what? Of course there is utility to maximize. That is what everybody tries to do in most situations. In this case people are maximizing utility by minimizing their anxiety. I know very well about the tragedy of the commons. You seem to have missed that point of my analysis. In the last statement I specifically mention a central authority because you need some sort of law enforcement to avoid the tragedy of the commons. While everybody would be better off being patient but because there is no way to ensure that everybody will be patient and there is no direct cost to individuals of being impatient.

Hence if people on this forum end up being patient they would probably end up getting the short end of the stick because the majority resides outside this forum, and not inside, and there is no reason to assume that they will abide by the exhortation of not calling IRCC