canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Dr_Midnite said:
1. Do not attempt to travel back into Canada without your PR card, the COPR sheet stapled into your passport clearly states “not authorized for travel”. It applies to any commercial carrier entering Canada i.e. plane, boat or train.

2. I was advised to ensure I arrive in the USA and cross into Canada via car, the document will allow me to enter Canada via car. As I am a UK citizen an passport holder I am able to enter the USA without any restriction and then travel into Canada.
Whoever told you this is an idiot. As a visa-exempt British citizen, you can travel directly to Canada on a commercial carrier on just the strength of your passport as if you were merely a visitor. Remove the COPR from you passport and don't mention your PR status to airline staff. Once in Canada, you would then present yourself as a PR to immigration, who can confirm it by simply swiping your passport.

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
canuck_in_uk said:
Whoever told you this is an idiot. As a visa-exempt British citizen, you can travel directly to Canada on a commercial carrier on just the strength of your passport as if you were merely a visitor. Remove the COPR from you passport and don't mention your PR status to airline staff. Once in Canada, you would then present yourself as a PR to immigration, who can confirm it by simply swiping your passport.
Well said. I second that.

Dr_Midnite

Jun 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-01-2014
Doc's Request.
21-03-2014
AOR Received.
19-02-2014
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
31-07-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 30-10-2014
LANDED..........
15-11-2014
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

I am aware I can travel into Canada as a visa exempt person. Travelling in as a visitor only would essentially mean you are misrepresenting your purpose to enter the country. A visitor can't work where as a resident can.

When you complete your landing you have a document stapled into you passport which clearly states not valid for travel. You can remove your COPR from your passport but you have a stamp in the passport which also has written under it your COPR number. In addition to that the border officer on arrival in Canada will see in the system that you have already landed and as such may ask where your COPR is or your PR card.

What astounds me is that people on this forum moan and groan about the process, the length of time to obtain the COPR etc and then the minute they get it they try to circumvent the rules or complain because they get their PPR requests etc and it interferes with their vacation!! Got to questions what's more important!!

Its simple if you choose to travel then you take a risk, you may get away with it, you may not. There is a mechanism to allow you to travel, just apply for a travel permit!!!!

Thx

A

Dr_Midnite

Jun 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-01-2014
Doc's Request.
21-03-2014
AOR Received.
19-02-2014
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
31-07-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 30-10-2014
LANDED..........
15-11-2014
MenicMonday said:
^Yes, but it's still CIC + it will be faster than having them send back a new COPR (not mentioning the CanadaPost risk).
I'd prefer to do it face-to-face than do a back-and-forth.
If I'd have sent them an email on corrections, who knows if I've gotten it back by now. By doing it yesterday, I was able to double-check in front of the CIC staff the corrections. More convenient don't you agree?
Hi

Your choice, good luck.

Thx

A

Gurindar

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-12-2014
Dr_Midnite said:
Hi

I am aware I can travel into Canada as a visa exempt person. Travelling in as a visitor only would essentially mean you are misrepresenting your purpose to enter the country. A visitor can't work where as a resident can.

When you complete your landing you have a document stapled into you passport which clearly states not valid for travel. You can remove your COPR from your passport but you have a stamp in the passport which also has written under it your COPR number. In addition to that the border officer on arrival in Canada will see in the system that you have already landed and as such may ask where your COPR is or your PR card.

What astounds me is that people on this forum moan and groan about the process, the length of time to obtain the COPR etc and then the minute they get it they try to circumvent the rules or complain because they get their PPR requests etc and it interferes with their vacation!! Got to questions what's more important!!

Its simple if you choose to travel then you take a risk, you may get away with it, you may not. There is a mechanism to allow you to travel, just apply for a travel permit!!!!

Thx

A
Completely agree with Midnight

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Dr_Midnite said:

Presenting yourself as a visitor to the airline in order to board the plane is not a crime and the airline really doesn't care.

"Not valid for travel" is on every single work permit, study permit and COPR issued by CIC. All it means is that you can't use ONLY that document to enter Canada; you must still have a valid passport or other acceptable travel document.

Read my post again. When you enter Canada, you present yourself as a PR to CBSA. There is NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT (cannot emphasize that enough) for a PR to have a PR card or COPR with them when they enter Canada. Once more time, a PR does not legally need a PR card or COPR to enter Canada. The CBSA officer will swipe your passport and see that you are a PR. If they mention your PR card, you simply say that you are still waiting for it to arrive. No big deal.

I received this information directly from the CBSA when my British partner landed; I asked because we had a trip planned within a few months. The officer said it was absolutely no problem for my partner to return to Canada using just his British passport and that the CBSA officer at entry would be able to see his PR status. When we re-entered Canada, the officer didn't even ask to see a PR card; she swiped his passport, saw his PR status in the system and said "Welcome home".

This is in no way circumventing or breaking any rules. The PR card is not required to actually enter Canada; it's required for non visa-exempt people to board a commercial carrier to initially come to Canada.

Reactions: GodLuck

Dr_Midnite

Jun 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-01-2014
Doc's Request.
21-03-2014
AOR Received.
19-02-2014
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
31-07-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 30-10-2014
LANDED..........
15-11-2014
canuck_in_uk said:
Presenting yourself as a visitor to the airline in order to board the plane is not a crime and the airline really doesn't care.

"Not valid for travel" is on every single work permit, study permit and COPR issued by CIC. All it means is that you can't use ONLY that document to enter Canada; you must still have a valid passport or other acceptable travel document.

Read my post again. When you enter Canada, you present yourself as a PR to CBSA. There is NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT (cannot emphasize that enough) for a PR to have a PR card or COPR with them when they enter Canada. Once more time, a PR does not legally need a PR card or COPR to enter Canada. The CBSA officer will swipe your passport and see that you are a PR. If they mention your PR card, you simply say that you are still waiting for it to arrive. No big deal.

I received this information directly from the CBSA when my British partner landed; I asked because we had a trip planned within a few months. The officer said it was absolutely no problem for my partner to return to Canada using just his British passport and that the CBSA officer at entry would be able to see his PR status. When we re-entered Canada, the officer didn't even ask to see a PR card; she swiped his passport, saw his PR status in the system and said "Welcome home".

This is in no way circumventing or breaking any rules. The PR card is not required to actually enter Canada; it's required for non visa-exempt people to board a commercial carrier to initially come to Canada.
Well then you have nothing to worry about.

Correct you do not need a PR card to enter Canada, however you need one to work!

My prior work permits state "Does not authorize re-entry". They do not state "Not valid for travel".

If its no big issue then why do they ask you not to travel? If its all good then why the restriction?

And of course CBSA & CIC have never provided incorrect information!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Dr_Midnite said:
Correct you do not need a PR card to enter Canada, however you need one to work!

My prior work permits state "Does not authorize re-entry". They do not state "Not valid for travel".

If its no big issue then why do they ask you not to travel? If its all good then why the restriction?
Actually, you don't. As a PR, all you need to work is a valid permanent SIN, which can be obtained with just the COPR and passport. Its only temporary SINs (start with 9) where an employer is required to verify status.

I misspoke about the permits. Its only COPRs that say it.

I have no idea. My partner was never told to not travel. I made it clear to the landing officer that we were going on a trip and he said it was perfectly fine.

sidaktoronto

Sep 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
NOC Code......
228X
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 7, 2015
Doc's Request.
October 28, 2015
Nomination.....
September 12, 2015
AOR Received.
October 7, 2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with EE Application
File Transfer...
Not Applicable
Med's Request
Med's Done....
October 6, 2015
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
Feb 19, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 24, 2016
LANDED..........
March 8, 2016
Gurindar said:
Hi All

Just received a call from CIC to complete Landing at CIC-Etobicoke , They asked me if I have any plans of vacation if YES they informed you cannot travel out of country until PR Card is delivered . Amazing part was she said it would take 6-8 weeks which is contradicting 16 days on CIC site.

Anyways she clearly said its a new process which CIC is now following now days to complete Landing though din't disclosed the reason behind it .

In the call she said , She will send a Appointment Letter with appointment date and Time which requires Photo to be clicked for PR Card. I got the mail in next 2 mins.

I was about to do landing yesterday missed it because of weather . If would have landed unnecessarily there would have been an confusion .

I personally believe Plus points on above process.

1. No need to go to border and deal with US folks specially when US visa is not acquired already.
2. Near to home , Hassle and tension free process.
3. Only COPR , Passport and Photo required.
4. Weather doesn't support to go to border specially Buffalo-Niagara Border its more convenient as far as time and money is concerned .
5. Looping out CBSA totally .

Best of Luck .

Thanks for the update...

This process is obviously faster for everyone but I have a question about this ,,

On my file I am the principal applicant living in edmonton alberta but my wife is living in vancouver for job.

How can we deal with this situation,

Can she land later on or she will have to travel to edmonton ??

After how many days from the day you got your passport did you received this call??

And do they said its a compulsory thing or its your choice ?

Also share your experience when you go on 3 December thanks !!

Gurindar

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-12-2014
Yah once done , Will share the experience for sure.

sidaktoronto

Sep 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
NOC Code......
228X
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 7, 2015
Doc's Request.
October 28, 2015
Nomination.....
September 12, 2015
AOR Received.
October 7, 2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Not Applicable
Med's Request
Med's Done....
October 6, 2015
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
Feb 19, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 24, 2016
LANDED..........
March 8, 2016
Gurindar said:
Yah once done , Will share the experience for sure.
On my file I am the principal applicant living in edmonton alberta but my wife is living in vancouver bc for job.

How can we deal with this situation, as they will give me a edmonton office for inland landing !

After how many days from the day you got your passport did you received this call??

Gurindar

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-12-2014
sidaktoronto said:
On my file I am the principal applicant living in edmonton alberta but my wife is living in vancouver bc for job.

How can we deal with this situation, as they will give me a edmonton office for inland landing !

Sorry Brother , No Idea .

I got a call in 7 days . Its clearly written in email if you have got the mail if you want to get it that rescheduled only if "you cannot attend your scheduled interview due to a personal, family or medical emergency."

"Failure to appear for this interview may be interpreted as evidence that you are no longer seeking permanent residence in Canada and your file may be closed."

I believe its better to proceed further the way they recommend , rather than looking for convenience .

Rest you are always free to call them and ask . You can land at border ASAP to nullify above scenario

sidaktoronto

Sep 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
NOC Code......
228X
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 7, 2015
Doc's Request.
October 28, 2015
Nomination.....
September 12, 2015
AOR Received.
October 7, 2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Not Applicable
Med's Request
Med's Done....
October 6, 2015
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
Feb 19, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 24, 2016
LANDED..........
March 8, 2016
Gurindar said:
Sorry Brother , No Idea .

I got a call in 7 days . Its clearly written in email if you have got the mail if you want to get it that rescheduled only if "you cannot attend your scheduled interview due to a personal, family or medical emergency."

"Failure to appear for this interview may be interpreted as evidence that you are no longer seeking permanent residence in Canada and your file may be closed."

I believe its better to proceed further the way they recommend , rather than looking for convenience .

Rest you are always free to call them and ask . You can land at border ASAP to nullify above scenario
Thanks for suggestion and help !!
much appreciated

Dr_Midnite

Jun 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-01-2014
Doc's Request.
21-03-2014
AOR Received.
19-02-2014
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
31-07-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 30-10-2014
LANDED..........
15-11-2014
sidaktoronto said:

Hi

Ok, you need to land first. You should have the option to cross the border in south Alberta, Couts (Spelling may be wrong) unless you are called to an inland interview/landing session.

Yes she can land later, the only rule is you have to land as principle applicant first.

When you have landed you partner can cross the border in BC, she will need the original COPR documents you have received.

She can then complete the landing process.

Thx

A

Dr_Midnite

Jun 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-01-2014
Doc's Request.
21-03-2014
AOR Received.
19-02-2014
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
31-07-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 30-10-2014
LANDED..........
15-11-2014
canuck_in_uk said:
Actually, you don't. As a PR, all you need to work is a valid permanent SIN, which can be obtained with just the COPR and passport. Its only temporary SINs (start with 9) where an employer is required to verify status.

I misspoke about the permits. Its only COPRs that say it.

I have no idea. My partner was never told to not travel. I made it clear to the landing officer that we were going on a trip and he said it was perfectly fine.
Ok, correct you need a valid SIN, however your SIN needs to be changed if you have a TFWP and your now a PR. You can change your SIN with the signed COPR.

We all offer our own experiences your original response was a little strong and implied what I was saying was an untruth. I have no reason to say anything that was not relayed to me.

I never said do not travel, what I said was you can use a land crossing as COPR is accepted. The officer advised leaving is not a problem, he advised us to ensure that we use the Buffalo airport as our airival point into the USA then use one of the land crossings to get back to Canada. Granted I am in Ontario and very close to a border so it may not be easy for some.

Where I come from we have a saying, never argue with an engineer, it's like wrestling a pig in mud, we actually like it!