Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-12-2014
Hi All

Just received a call from CIC to complete Landing at CIC-Etobicoke , They asked me if I have any plans of vacation if YES they informed you cannot travel out of country until PR Card is delivered . Amazing part was she said it would take 6-8 weeks which is contradicting 16 days on CIC site.

Anyways she clearly said its a new process which CIC is now following now days to complete Landing though din't disclosed the reason behind it .

In the call she said , She will send a Appointment Letter with appointment date and Time which requires Photo to be clicked for PR Card. I got the mail in next 2 mins.

I was about to do landing yesterday missed it because of weather . If would have landed unnecessarily there would have been an confusion .

I personally believe Plus points on above process.

1. No need to go to border and deal with US folks specially when US visa is not acquired already.
2. Near to home , Hassle and tension free process.
3. Only COPR , Passport and Photo required.
4. Weather doesn't support to go to border specially Buffalo-Niagara Border its more convenient as far as time and money is concerned .
5. Looping out CBSA totally .

Best of Luck .

rajapr17

Star Member
Feb 12, 2014
Gurindar said:
Hi All

Just received a call from CIC to complete Landing at CIC-Etobicoke , They asked me if I have any plans of vacation if YES they informed you cannot travel out of country until PR Card is delivered . Amazing part was she said it would take 6-8 weeks which is contradicting 16 days on CIC site.

Anyways she clearly said its a new process which CIC is now following now days to complete Landing though din't disclosed the reason behind it .

In the call she said , She will send a Appointment Letter with appointment date and Time which requires Photo to be clicked for PR Card. I got the mail in next 2 mins.

I was about to do landing yesterday missed it because of weather . If would have landed unnecessarily there would have been an confusion .

1. No need to go to border and deal with US folks specially when US visa is not acquired already.
4. Weather doesn't support to go to border specially Buffalo-Niagara Border its more convenient as far as time and money is concerned .

Best of Luck .
Hi Gurinder,
Thanks for the update.
Could you please let me know when is your appointment in Etobicoke

Thanks.

MenicMonday

Feb 25, 2014
^Also, as I have mentioned yesterday, there is a Service Canada staff that will immediately handle the SIN change.
AND, they will print out a new COPR with whatever changes you may have - no need to go through the amendment process.

BTW, they did not stamp anything on the passport, nor cross-out the visa. I "think" airlines may still board you if you show this one in lieu of the PR card if you haven't received it (remember that the main reason why you need a PR card is that airlines may not let you board; otherwise once you get to Canada, they can still let you in as a PR).

Gurindar

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-12-2014
rajapr17 said:
Hi Gurinder,
Thanks for the update.
Could you please let me know when is your appointment in Etobicoke

Thanks.
December 3rd they gave me the date .

Gurindar

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-12-2014
MenicMonday said:
^Also, as I have mentioned yesterday, there is a Service Canada staff that will immediately handle the SIN change.
AND, they will print out a new COPR with whatever changes you may have - no need to go through the amendment process.

BTW, they did not stamp anything on the passport, nor cross-out the visa. I "think" airlines may still board you if you show this one in lieu of the PR card if you haven't received it (remember that the main reason why you need a PR card is that airlines may not let you board; otherwise once you get to Canada, they can still let you in as a PR).
Technically you are correct , but once you land in Canada , You have to show PR card isn't it ? The one time visa is for Landing I guess only , Having no PR Card and CBSA will know with your client ID or passport that you have already landed r8t ? Then what will happen in this scenario ?

MenicMonday

Feb 25, 2014
^Good question. It's risky, but still doable.
Check out the following:
http://www.justlanded.com/english/Canada/Articles/Visas-Permits/Permanent-resident-cards
http://settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000607
http://canadianimmigrant.ca/immigrate/pr-card-myths-2

Excerpts:
- The PR card is the BEST proof that you are a permanent resident, but it's not the only proof
- You don't necessarily break any laws for traveling without a card

It's still best to do it by the book and get a travel document.

Things happen: you need to go out of Canada, but need to go back in even before a travel doc is issued. In this case, I would take my chances.

nov_2014

Star Member
May 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
16-May-2015
Yes, you can do that, Carry all your documents with you and complete landing process in Canada while returning back but keep in mind you can only land on your single entry visa if not landed before, otherwise either you need to have travel document or PR card.

new_guy said:
Can I still land if I have travelling plans and planned to land when coming back to Canada?

rks0101

Oct 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gurindar said:
Hi All

Best of Luck .
Thanks Gurinder for the info.

Did the official indicate that this is being adopted for all cases and that if one is in Canada, is he/she bound to use this process or landing at border is still possible?

Cheers!

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
Gurindar said:
Technically you are correct , but once you land in Canada , You have to show PR card isn't it ? The one time visa is for Landing I guess only , Having no PR Card and CBSA will know with your client ID or passport that you have already landed r8t ? Then what will happen in this scenario ?
Hi,
I would say the only problem with traveling back to Canada without PR card is to get in the plane (once you're in you're fine). There shouldn't be any problem in Canada side because you're in the system as a PR.

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
Gurindar said:
Hi All

Best of Luck .

Thanks for sharing this info. +1 for that

P.S. So one thing I figured out is that the only way to dodge this inland landing with interview is by landing within a week after getting passport back.

MenicMonday

Feb 25, 2014
^Yes, but what if (highly unlikely) they really need to clarify something with you, or in my case, I needed to point-out a couple of clarifications in my COPR. I think the CIC staff is better-equipped to handle all immigration-related stuffs.

Dr_Midnite

Jun 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-01-2014
Doc's Request.
21-03-2014
AOR Received.
19-02-2014
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
31-07-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 30-10-2014
LANDED..........
15-11-2014
Gurindar said:
Hi All

Best of Luck .
Hi

This landing process is not applicable to all people who have received COPR.

As an example I landed last weekend at Lewiston the good old fashioned way and I had my COPR 2 weeks prior to that, no request to attend any office.

A number of people in the forum have been asked to attend an interview and at that time landing is completed in the CIC office, many others have not.

Please do not assume that when you have receive your COPR that attending an office will be the way you will land.

In fact when you receive your COPR the accompanying documents say you can choose to land at a CIC office, you have to call and make an appointment, the reason we choose to cross the border is because we can do it quickly without the need to wait.

On the subject of travelling without a PR card. The instructions given to me last weekend were as follows.

1. Do not attempt to travel back into Canada without your PR card, the COPR sheet stapled into your passport clearly states “not authorized for travel”. It applies to any commercial carrier entering Canada i.e. plane, boat or train.

2. I was advised to ensure I arrive in the USA and cross into Canada via car, the document will allow me to enter Canada via car. As I am a UK citizen an passport holder I am able to enter the USA without any restriction and then travel into Canada.

Leaving Canada is not an issue, no one cares when you leave the country and you don’t need a PR card to do that. When you come back you take a gamble, if the airline allows you to board then you run the gauntlet of the office when you arrive. You are notified of your travel restriction at the time you land. As such they have the right to refuse entry.

Thx

A

Dr_Midnite

Jun 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-01-2014
Doc's Request.
21-03-2014
AOR Received.
19-02-2014
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
31-07-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 30-10-2014
LANDED..........
15-11-2014
MenicMonday said:
^Yes, but what if (highly unlikely) they really need to clarify something with you, or in my case, I needed to point-out a couple of clarifications in my COPR. I think the CIC staff is better-equipped to handle all immigration-related stuffs.
Hi

You are requested to raise any issues with your COPR at the time you receive it. You should not be looking to have it changed or point out any issues when you land. The instructions are clear when you receive the COPR.

Thx

A

MenicMonday

Feb 25, 2014
^Yes, but it's still CIC + it will be faster than having them send back a new COPR (not mentioning the CanadaPost risk).
I'd prefer to do it face-to-face than do a back-and-forth.
If I'd have sent them an email on corrections, who knows if I've gotten it back by now. By doing it yesterday, I was able to double-check in front of the CIC staff the corrections. More convenient don't you agree?