+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Policy for International Students - April 12th, 2021

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Yes, my wife is not in those 52000. Her PGWP is valid until 2023. She received it last year and didn't have to extend now.

Varunp

Apr 25, 2021
Guys any news about people that have been temporarily laid off due to the government shutting everything down here in ontario/Toronto? How do we prove that we are employed during the time of application? Is a letter from HR stating that you are still employed with the company enough or do you need to show paystubs?

bootes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2021
Are temporary layoffs eligible?
According to the webinar earlier, IRCC said in their briefing that temporarily layoffs are not eligible. They want people who are actively working at the time of application. We will find out for sure when info is released

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
According to the webinar earlier, IRCC said in their briefing that temporarily layoffs are not eligible. They want people who are actively working at the time of application. We will find out for sure when info is released
I think this is why the stream is scheduled to be open until Nov, right away most of us in Ontario are either working from home, laid off or working “in person” if the business is considered essential

bootes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2021
I think this is why the stream is scheduled to be open until Nov, right away most of us in Ontario are either working from home, laid off or working “in person” if the business is considered essential
Unlike the non-francophone stream, it doesn't really matter if the stream goes up to November if ineligible folks still send in applications on the first day.

rambag98

Jul 3, 2020
Yea but Ford may make this thing even longer, I dont think kids here will go back to school this year, its going to be online.
So then it's a matter of if the quota fills with the current workforce or if it's going to be super sluggish and slow and then suddenly fill up when people are re-employed

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
I understand that they might not want to go through ineligible applications and open spots in their place, but I do think it would be much better if they were to accept 90 000 people and not 90 000 applications. This way, as soon as one application is deemed ineligible, a spot opens. So spots could pop up over the summer.

And I am not even talking about full application check. Just basic eligibility. This can be checked quickly, I feel.

Reactions: rambag98 and bootes

Anya833

Star Member
Jul 5, 2020
So then it's a matter of if the quota fills with the current workforce or if it's going to be super sluggish and slow and then suddenly fill up when people are re-employed
I think either this new stream will fill up in a matter of days or stay open maybe for a month or two. But again thats just my opinion. This is a new stream so we dont know yet.

Varunp

Apr 25, 2021
That’s so dumb man, this means we have so many people who qualify for the stream but are unable to apply just because the government shut all the business down . I hope they allow people who have been temporarily laid off to apply as well as long as you can prove that you will employed when the lockdown lifts.

Reactions: ALsw1989

rambag98

Jul 3, 2020
I understand that they might not want to go through ineligible applications and open spots in their place, but I do think it would be much better if they were to accept 90 000 people and not 90 000 applications. This way, as soon as one application is deemed ineligible, a spot opens. So spots could pop up over the summer.

And I am not even talking about full application check. Just basic eligibility. This can be checked quickly, I feel.
Yeah for sure, but again it's very difficult to submit an ineligible application without misrepresenting yourself.. there won't be many of those, they'd be risking a potential ban.