+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Policy for International Students - April 12th, 2021

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
There's a reason IRCC has placed these intake caps. They approximate the eligible population for the streams based on whatever data they have. Sure they might be off by a little, but the caps aren't that low.
I hope you are right! I fear they set intake caps based on how many new people they need (when they calculated the number of people they couldn't invite this year from abroad). But I do hope you are correct about this.

bootes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2021
There has to be a reason why IELTS and CELPIP are booked even beyond Aug/Sept, either those eligible don't have valid tests, or those ineligible too are applying for language tests like crazy.
Oh there are definitely ineligible folks who are booking language tests. It's gonna suck though when they go through with their application and find out they were actually ineligible because the IRCC hasn't clarified the vague eligibility requirements in the policy.

Reactions: captainarabiia

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
PSA :

If someone speaks, knows French, please be considerate and go under the francophone stream :p
Leave some spots for those who only know English.

Reactions: hhzara

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
There's also the small detail of whether or not they want to approve 90k people in general or just want to process 90k applications. Because if it is the former, will they use the french quota to fill up the slots left from refused applications or will this be a recurring thing depending on how many slots they have left to approve to meet the cap.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
They will process 90k applications only. But French ones have no limit, so even if there are 90k of those, they will process them.

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
There has to be a reason why IELTS and CELPIP are booked even beyond Aug/Sept, either those eligible don't have valid tests, or those ineligible too are applying for language tests like crazy.
After checking a CICnews, I found this in an article with the De 2020 composition of Canada's TFW force:

• 717,000 IMP work permit holders. The International Mobility Program enables foreign nationals to hold a work permit in Canada that does not require a Labour Market Impact Assessment (the LMIA is used by the federal government to assess how the hiring of a foreign national will affect workers in Canada);
  • 77,000 TFWP work permit holders. Those who fall under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program need a positive LMIA in order to be eligible to work in Canada;
  • 530,000 study permit holders.
Many of those TFW have applied for EE

Reactions: captainarabiia

rambag98

Jul 3, 2020
After checking a CICnews, I found this in an article with the current composition of Canada's TFW force:

• 717,000 IMP work permit holders. The International Mobility Program enables foreign nationals to hold a work permit in Canada that does not require a Labour Market Impact Assessment (the LMIA is used by the federal government to assess how the hiring of a foreign national will affect workers in Canada);
  • 77,000 TFWP work permit holders. Those who fall under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program need a positive LMIA in order to be eligible to work in Canada;
  • 530,000 study permit holders.
Who usually holds IMP work permits? I wish there was a PGWP one so we can narrow it down to graduates.

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
Who usually holds IMP work permits? I wish there was a PGWP one so we can narrow it down to graduates.
I guess NAFTA, CUSMA, IEC...Not all countries have access to this

PGWP falls under TFW, which includes work permits issued under a positive LMIA and BOWP, PGWP, SOWP...

In addition, the following number of work permits took effect in January and February 2021:

• 62,000 IMP work permits;
  • 20,000 TFWP work permits.

The grand total becomes nearly 1.5 million work and study permit holders in Canada when the programs launch May 6. It is important to stress, however, this grand total over-estimates the number of people who will be vying for the six new permanent resident programs.

In fact, it is virtually impossible for IRCC or anyone else to provide a precise figure on the extent of demand for the streams. Reasons include:

• There is duplication among the permit numbers due to individuals transitioning between categories (e.g., a graduate transitioning from a study permit to a PGWP);
  • Not all these people are interested in applying for permanent residence;
  • Some have already obtained permanent residence or have submitted immigration applications. For instance, we know 52,708 Canadian Experience Class (CEC) candidates have been invited to apply for permanent residence under Express Entry in 2021. IRCC estimates some 90 per cent of these candidates reside in Canada. Hence, we can deduct this figure from the grand total. The same can be said for the other permit holders currently in Canada who are going through the immigration process (e.g., the partners of Canadian citizens and permanent residents living here while IRCC processes their in-land sponsorship application);
  • Some are not eligible to apply under the new streams. For instance, they do not have eligible work experience or will not be able to get their IELTS or CELPIP test result in time. Or maybe they will not graduate from their Canadian program before the new programs close;
  • Others have since left Canada or their permits are no longer valid.
Well, that's a lot

rambag98

Jul 3, 2020
I guess NAFTA, CUSMA, IEC...Not all countries have access to this

PGWP falls under TFW, which includes work permits issued under a positive LMIA and BOWP, PGWP, SOWP...
But PGWP holder don't need an LMIA so aren't they under the 717,000?

rambag98

Jul 3, 2020
TFW includes all foreign workers, LMIA or not that don't fall under international agreements

52,000 is the closest number we have for PGWP holders.. this doesn't take into account new applicants from Jan till now, those who have it valid beyond November 2021 anyway, but also doesn't take into account how many are unemployed and those that applied for CEC. It is tricky to tell how many are in the eligible pool.

https://www.cicnews.com/2021/02/up-to-52000-people-eligible-for-new-18-month-canadian-work-permit-0217022.html#gs.ztqpvk