+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Policy for International Students - April 12th, 2021

Mari_Anne17

Apr 14, 2021
Hello,

The minister of immigration of Canada announced today a new policy that will help international students stay in Canada. I was going over the requirements and I have some questions about my eligibility.

I took one year program (full-time 2019-2020), and was granted a postgrad certificate in International Fashion Management.

The policy says:

" one or more diploma/certificate/attestation where the following conditions are met:
  • For diplomas/certificates/attestations, each program of study must be at least 8 months in duration and the combined length of the credential(s) must be equivalent to a two-year credential (at least 16 months in duration)."
Does it mean that I can apply since I have one year program? Or it means, I can't apply because they are asking for a 16 months length credentials?

It seems to me that, if I have one year program I can apply because they are asking for at least 8 month duration. If I had more than one diploma, certificate and wanted to combine them together, the length should not be less than 16 months.

Does it make sense? Or I'm complete wrong here? Pleaseeee help me!!!! Thanks in advance :)

Reactions: Swapnil Soni

farzadd

Sep 26, 2018
Does anybody know how we can apply for this on May 6th? Do we have to make an express entry profile? The announcement is not very clear about how is the application process.
Do we need to start gathering documents like police certificate now?

superMK

Feb 23, 2021
Does anybody know how we can apply for this on May 6th? Do we have to make an express entry profile? The announcement is not very clear about how is the application process.
Same question, they announce just today but no information on how to apply. Just waiting for more information.

rambag98

Jul 3, 2020
Same question, they announce just today but no information on how to apply. Just waiting for more information.
I read that additional details will show up on the day. I recommend booking your language test ASAP if you have not already done so.

JesssicaL

Apr 14, 2021
Hello. Hope you are all well and share your thoughts.

Under this stunning announcement, are graduates (from more than 16month duration program) required to be on a work permit? The wording in the announcement is confusing from the announcement at least for me,,," Be employed in Canada with a valid permit ".
I got laid-off right after Covid and currently on another study permit ( valid until Nov 2021) for switching my career, working part-time less than 20 hours.
I thought of applying for PGWP extension in June based upon the previous another innovative announcement for PGWP holders (expired or expiring) to apply for OINP.
Now with this new policy, Do I need to apply for PGWP first to secure application status while the application is processed then apply for this new stream? I am wondering if students who graduated but went back to school can be benefited from this new measure. Hope I can save some time and make a fresh start toward a new career.
Cheers!

Minky

rambag98

Jul 3, 2020

Under this stunning announcement, are graduates (from more than 16month duration program) required to be on a work permit? The wording in the announcement is confusing from the announcement at least for me,,," Be employed in Canada with a valid permit ".
I got laid-off right after Covid and currently on another study permit ( valid until Nov 2021) for switching my career, working part-time less than 20 hours.
I thought of applying for PGWP extension in June based upon the previous another innovative announcement for PGWP holders (expired or expiring) to apply for OINP.
Now with this new policy, Do I need to apply for PGWP first to secure application status while the application is processed then apply for this new stream? I am wondering if students who graduated but went back to school can be benefited from this new measure. Hope I can save some time and make a fresh start toward a new career.
Cheers!

Minky

So looking at the status requirements.. it says it needs to be a valid status.. which you have.. and employed.. which you are.. so I think you should be good unless the employment requirement is full time.

Reactions: Alberta2018

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Cheers!

Minky
Are you not studying? You should remain in school.

farzadd

Sep 26, 2018
I read that additional details will show up on the day. I recommend booking your language test ASAP if you have not already done so.
So they don’t announce sooner? I already have my test results because I tried to apply for Ontario masters stream and I missed it. I just don’t know how I can prepare for this. These kind of opportunities reach maximum intake in a few minutes.

rambag98

Jul 3, 2020
So they don’t announce sooner? I already have my test results because I tried to apply for Ontario masters stream and I missed it. I just don’t know how I can prepare for this. These kind of opportunities reach maximum intake in a few minutes.
I don't recall something like a 90,000 cap though. This isn't something that has ever happened before. Master's stream is like 1500 people and even that is open for at least an hour (and you only register then have 14 days to submit the documents). You wouldn't be expected to submit the entire application within an hour. It's extremely important to make sure the information you submit is clear and correct.

I would assume you'd need the following scanned and ready though:

1) Degree, final transcript, and completion letter.
2) Proof of employment and/or pay stubs and/or employment offer letter.
3) Passport pages that have any markings.
4) Work permit
5) Language test certificate (e.g. IELTS scores)

There is no mention of a medical exam or police certificate.. that might be required later or not, but if you can try to get the police certificate, I would.

I honestly feel like they wouldn't mention a November cut-off if it was something that is gone within a few minutes. They could just say "will open May 6 until quota is met". Don't stress out :) let's just be ready on May 6 and carefully fill out the application.

whatisit

Mar 26, 2017
So looking at the status requirements.. it says it needs to be a valid status.. which you have.. and employed.. which you are.. so I think you should be good unless the employment requirement is full time.
Quick question though! I seem to be eligible for application according to the criteria written in the announcement.

however, As you may aware, it is almost impossible to book a test for either ielts or celpip and was wondering if you think or know the test results are mandatory in order to apply or is it something I could submit after submitting the application?

Hope they add additional test slots though. :(

rambag98

Jul 3, 2020
Quick question though! I seem to be eligible for application according to the criteria written in the announcement.

however, As you may aware, it is almost impossible to book a test for either ielts or celpip and was wondering if you think or know the test results are mandatory in order to apply or is it something I could submit after submitting the application?

Hope they add additional test slots though. :(
Is IELTS fully booked till May 6? I'm unsure how the process is unfortunately, they haven't specified. I would book the earliest test.. there is no guarantee 40,000 slots will fill up immediately (it might take days), so doing things ASAP is best.

Reactions: JesssicaL

lumoxmaxima

Star Member
Jun 3, 2019
Hello,
Based on this: Temporary public policy to facilitate the granting of permanent residence for foreign nationals in Canada, outside of Quebec, with recent Canadian work experience in essential occupations - Canada.ca

The information given is not very explanatory.. How can we apply? Are we going to create an EE profile like regular way?

I already have my ECA from my home country which is equivalent for 4 years of Canadian bachelor degree and i already have my IELTS
I also have 1+1 combined 2 year post grad certificates from a canadian college

I am currently working as a skilled worked under NOC 4163 but that NOC isn't in the list but security guards and plumbers are in the list ?????
I was normally going to wait for June in order to complete my 1 year skilled work experience and create an EE profile but this new thing confused me a lot...

Can anyone who graduated from a canadian educational institution apply to this without a 1 year skilled work experience ?