+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My PGWP Expires Jan 27th, 2023 (After New Extension Policy)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My friend is in the express entry pool and falls under CEC, sub 500 score.
Her PGWP expires this summer. Can she apply for an open work permit while she waits and hopefully gets invited for CEC?
On what basis would she apply for an OWP?

sampaul

Star Member
Feb 21, 2023
So if a PGWP is expiring this year someone cannot apply for an open work permit?
Post Graduate work permit is a one time thing. You can not get it for second time.

And you will not get the extension either.

But Still you can apply for extension, which will eventually buy you some time because the processing time is 6 months.

So the candidate will fall under "implied status", which means you can work until a decision is made on your application.

That decision is definitely a "Refusal". But you can work for 6 months till the decision is made.

Meanwhile you will get some more time to search for new Job s with LMIA or move to visitor status or take a new course(go back apply for study permit) or meantime if you get express entry invitation you can submit application and apply for bridging of work permit(BOWP).

These are the options.

MARCHDOT

Jan 16, 2023
Mine is expiring on this 10th MARCH, but now I have applied for Visitor Record. As my consultant said applying for pgwp extension wouldn't work.
1) it will be refusal for sure, but you will get at-least 6 month time.
2) As per present situation , IRCC cannot hold low crs score draws, so it would be not possible to get open bridge work permit while staying on implied status.
3) the time you get refusal yo get exclusion letter as well from IRCC, which can put in trouble. That's what i have heard from consultant.
4) if you are going on implied status, and look for LMIA. i would say its better to go on visitor record, because you will maintain a legal status. and at present the new extension policy for Visitor to Worker is an action as well.

But that's what i am going to do, if anybody can get help from this. I know its really hectic time for a lot of people like us, but i think there will be extension policy in this month, And there will be eligiblity criteria for sure. HOPE SO EVERY SINGLE ONE QUALIFY.

Chenna12

Mar 7, 2023
Mine is expiring on this 10th MARCH, but now I have applied for Visitor Record. As my consultant said applying for pgwp extension wouldn't work.
1) it will be refusal for sure, but you will get at-least 6 month time.
2) As per present situation , IRCC cannot hold low crs score draws, so it would be not possible to get open bridge work permit while staying on implied status.
3) the time you get refusal yo get exclusion letter as well from IRCC, which can put in trouble. That's what i have heard from consultant.
4) if you are going on implied status, and look for LMIA. i would say its better to go on visitor record, because you will maintain a legal status. and at present the new extension policy for Visitor to Worker is an action as well.

But that's what i am going to do, if anybody can get help from this. I know its really hectic time for a lot of people like us, but i think there will be extension policy in this month, And there will be eligiblity criteria for sure. HOPE SO EVERY SINGLE ONE QUALIFY.

Yes its a perfect option brother, Even I have applied for Visitor status and as per the policy of LMIA under visit visa extended to 2025, so it would be the best option to get some time in hand

Max_123

Mar 6, 2023
I am also applying for a restoration from PGWP to Visitor record, does anyone know how much time does it take for you to get the visitor record approved?

MARCHDOT

Jan 16, 2023
Whole process takes 6 months, but once you have applied visitor record, you will be on applied status, that is maintained legal status in Canada. Meanwhile you can look for LMIA, and if you find one you can get work permit on base of that.

Max_123

Mar 6, 2023
Whole process takes 6 months, but once you have applied visitor record, you will be on applied status, that is maintained legal status in Canada. Meanwhile you can look for LMIA, and if you find one you can get work permit on base of that.
Thank you for your response and help. Well, I wouldn't want to opt for the LMIA option only for the same reason that it does take a lot of time and resources. It will cost me less to be a visitor and burn my savings on rent than go for LMIA. I've been a student, to PGWP holder then I got PGWP extension under a public policy and now just hoping to get an ITA as soon as possible. I hope it doesn't take all of 6 months to obtain a visitor record as well.

Mar 8, 2023
Hello friends, my PGWP expired on Jan 18 2023, but I applied for open work permit based on my Wife's PGWP which was expiring in July. I was only expecting of work permit till July, but I got extension of 18 months under public policy, that's what my new work permit states.

So internally IRCC have already started giving extensions. I got considered under this policy, even though I applied as spouse of PGWP holder.

Wish you best luck guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thatsnotmyname

MARCHDOT

Jan 16, 2023
Any updates on the PGWP extension? mine is expiring on May 15 2023.
There is only one news going around Since weekend, but somewhere it feels like it is going to be true. Let's hope for the best. But whenever extension comes they will consider all those people who maintained there status after the expiry of Work permit. So, its highly recommended to keep your status legal, apply for Visitor Record before your Work permit expires.

Slim_shady

Jul 10, 2018
@
There is only one news going around Since weekend, but somewhere it feels like it is going to be true. Let's hope for the best. But whenever extension comes they will consider all those people who maintained there status after the expiry of Work permit. So, its highly recommended to keep your status legal, apply for Visitor Record before your Work permit expires.
What is the news? Can you please share link? How to manage man? If I need to quit my job. No money, better I should move back to home.

MARCHDOT

Jan 16, 2023
https://plus1news.ca/blog/pgwp-extension-2023/
Well, I don't know this is true or not, but its a bit relief. Because mine is expiring this Friday
@

What is the news? Can you please share link? How to manage man? If I need to quit my job. No money, better I should move back to home.
10th march. I am losing my job in 2 days. But i cannot be even upset about it, its affecting my health now. So, all my mates who are in same situation, stay positive, you cannot do anything for things which are out of our control. And its never happened that someone went back home after spending there crucial years and money in Canada, and when the fault is with Canadian Immigration. So, there will be for sure any solution on the way.

Reactions: Slim_shady