+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My PGWP Expires Jan 27th, 2023 (After New Extension Policy)

MAJCanada

Sep 9, 2022
Hi guys, so my PGWP expires January 27, 2023 but the new extension policy only seems to consider expired PGWP up until Dec 31st, 2022.

• I’m considering just applying to renew my PGWP anyways (under this PGWP extension policy they have going on) and add a letter of explanation detailing my situation? Is this adviceable to do?

I have no other option on what to do since there’s nothing catered towards permits expiring beyond 2022 and mine unfortunately expires 27days after.

Is anyone else is my situation? And if so what measures have you taken or are planning to take?

Thank you in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys, so my PGWP expires January 27, 2023 but the new extension policy only seems to consider expired PGWP up until Dec 31st, 2022.

• I’m considering just applying to renew my PGWP anyways (under this PGWP extension policy they have going on) and add a letter of explanation detailing my situation? Is this adviceable to do?

I have no other option on what to do since there’s nothing catered towards permits expiring beyond 2022 and mine unfortunately expires 27days after.

Is anyone else is my situation? And if so what measures have you taken or are planning to take?

Thank you in advance.
No one can stop you from submitting an application. However it will be refused since you don't qualify under the policy. A letter unfortunately won't fix that.

You can consider:
- Trying to be select under an existing PR program before your PGWP expires so that you can qualify for a BOWP.
- Watching for the new PR programs that IRCC is supposed to announce and see if you can qualify under one of those.
- Finding an employer who is willing to go through the LMIA process so that you can get a closed work permit.
- Hoping IRCC will extend the policy. I personally would not count on this happening.

ASTONMARTIN0614

Star Member
Dec 19, 2018

Thank you in advance.
We are on the same boat. How are you dealing with it?

MAJCanada

Sep 9, 2022
We are on the same boat. How are you dealing with it?
At the moment, I’m gonna apply to renew/extend my PGWP anyway and hope for the best (it does hurt to try). In addition I’m attempting to redo my IELTS to improve my score so I can get a higher CRS score and hopefully get an ITA soon, and also applying to jobs on the job bank to provinces that might potentially nominate me (Alberta, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, e.t.c) and hopefully I can get an LMIA from the job offer. Those are the options I’m exploring. Wishing you all the best mate .

amr2022

Nov 16, 2022
I have no idea why they would restrict PGWP extension to only those who would expire in 2022, I went through all the scenarios explained in the reasoning for this PGWP extension but mine expires in Mar 2023 only because they delayed approving my PGWP. There is a logic we can use here to apply but not sure if that will fly.

Nov 27, 2022

Thank you in advance.
Hey have you tried applying and did it get rejected?

babyshamini14

Star Member
Dec 2, 2018

Thank you in advance.
Did u get approved.?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am in the same scenario, Visa till 06 Feb. 2023. Please let me know what can we do ?
Already answered above:

You can consider:
- Trying to be select under an existing PR program (e.g. Express Entry) before your PGWP expires so that you can qualify for a BOWP.
- Watching for the new PR programs that IRCC is supposed to announce and see if you can qualify under one of those.
- Finding an employer who is willing to go through the LMIA process so that you can get a closed work permit.
- Hoping IRCC will extend the policy. I personally would not count on this happening.

Dileep988

Nov 29, 2022
I have same situation. PGWP expiring on March 10. Don’t know what to do. If anyone have applied for extension successfully please advice.

Reactions: jbaak

achsah346

Star Member
Aug 19, 2018
Did anybody got WP EXT except pgwp letter after applying for extension of pgwp? which states 120 days to work on same condition as your previous pgwp or open work permit until decision has been taken on the application

Nazinadri

Star Member
May 28, 2019

Thank you in advance.
Good day,
Just way to see if you could get your PGWP extended? The EE draws are on pause and all PGWP holders are having these kind of issues.
Thanks a lot and good luck

Sumedh Tikare

Jan 11, 2023
Hello Guys,

I am also in the same boat my PGWP expires on 10th March 2023. Are we allowed to apply for open work permit and do they get approved?