+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My landing experience at Toronto (YYZ)

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
How long should the first visit be? ( to ensure all formalities are completed)
2-3 business days should cover landing, getting a SIN number, opening a bank account. The rest you can do later.

I landed on a Wednesday, completed everything by Friday, spent the weekend sightseeing, and flew back on Monday morning.

Nitti

Apr 3, 2019
2-3 business days should cover landing, getting a SIN number, opening a bank account. The rest you can do later.

I landed on a Wednesday, completed everything by Friday, spent the weekend sightseeing, and flew back on Monday morning.
Hey am also planning to do a soft landing in start of may and then return back in 2 months to wrap up stuff in home country before moving back permanently. If I am unable to receive my pr card during my stay, will it be a sensible option to get it by FedEx or dhl?
P.s I think the photos on my copr are not of right dimensions ( the frame size is alright but the height from chin to crown is 41 mm that is much greater than accepted 36 mm height). Will it be ok if I staple another correctly dimensioned set of photos on my copr at Poe immigration counter?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

For those reading past comments I would discourage opening a bank account on a soft landing. The least ties to Canada th better.

Ranju@deepa

May 25, 2019
Apologies for all the typos and grammar mistakes. I'm using my cellphone.
Ur informations are really very helpful.next month I m traveling from India to Toronto via Frankfurt. From Toronto I have another flight for haliax. I am traveling with my 4 year old son it's first time in canada.My husband got work permit and he already there in May only. My husband told me that after reaching toronTo airport I should first collect all my luggage and then I need to be in line for work permit. Just need information from you that like India is there any Porter services are available I yyz airport or not because with me 6 bags are there and one kid also. It's difficult for me that with this much stuffs going one place to other.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Ur informations are really very helpful.next month I m traveling from India to Toronto via Frankfurt. From Toronto I have another flight for haliax. I am traveling with my 4 year old son it's first time in canada.My husband got work permit and he already there in May only. My husband told me that after reaching toronTo airport I should first collect all my luggage and then I need to be in line for work permit. Just need information from you that like India is there any Porter services are available I yyz airport or not because with me 6 bags are there and one kid also. It's difficult for me that with this much stuffs going one place to other.
Yes, Pearson has porters. You need to book in advance.

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/while-you-are-here/porter-services

mshergill

Star Member
Apr 5, 2015
Hello Everyone,

My spouse is landing on Sunday as an Immigrant. He is coming from India. Please let me know what paper work or question he can expect from at airport. If anyone can share their recent landing experience as a sponsored that would be great.

Thank you in advance.

Shessy

Apr 18, 2019
Continuing (each post has a 10000 char limit)

Phone:

For now I've signed up for the Public Mobile service. Will see how it goes.

Talked to the guys at freedom mobile but have read many negative reviews about data connectivity problems and call drops. Their rates are very competitive though.

Public mobile SIM cards are available at Walmart, wow mobile stores and online (no tracking on delivery though). I bought it at a Walmart (was asked to pay "exact" cash. Lol. Paid by card instead).

The sim costs $11 and some change. Plans and inclusions are available on their website.

Service up until now has been good. LTE and 3G speeds have been excellent.

Weather:

It's been overcast for the past few days with intermittent showers. Not too cold and not too warm.

Hope this helps.

Open to queries or other pointers if anyone needs.

Hope you all have a wonderful time in the country.

Best Regards,

RookieMistake.

Thanks as this is extremely helpful. I'm planning my landing for July. I have a question regarding goods to be brought in. I'm only coming in with personal items such as clothings and wears. I'm a bit confused about the requirement for listing. Do I really have to list my clothings? Like I have to list all my shirts, trousers, shoes etc. or am I completely misunderstanding what is required?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Thanks as this is extremely helpful. I'm planning my landing for July. I have a question regarding goods to be brought in. I'm only coming in with personal items such as clothings and wears. I'm a bit confused about the requirement for listing. Do I really have to list my clothings? Like I have to list all my shirts, trousers, shoes etc. or am I completely misunderstanding what is required?
1. If they are goods accompanying, then don't bother. If they are goods to follow then it would be x boxes of used clothing, and just put a minimum value.

Shessy

Apr 18, 2019
Hi

1. If they are goods accompanying, then don't bother. If they are goods to follow then it would be x boxes of used clothing, and just put a minimum value.
Thanks. I really appreciate your prompt response.

Ranju@deepa

May 25, 2019
Thanks for the information
I tried to book the Porter services in advance by using the shared link. After filling all required information in the form also, I didn't receive any confirmation mail from porter services. I don't hv any idea how I will contact them in the airport as they didn't accept any international number in the form. Kindly somebody share ur experience in Porter services in yyz international airport.

Thanks
Ranju

rishirajsing

Aug 14, 2018
Guys, Whats the conclusion for "Goods to Follow" and "Goods Accompanying" documents while doing SOFT LANDING. Should I fill it and submit ?

My plan to settle is after 1 year after doing first Landing

aleersurahio

Mar 18, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to share my (first) landing experience. I've divided the post into sections, so feel free to jump/skip if need be.

Bank Account:

Had opened up an account with Scotiabank from India itself (startright program) but decided to move ahead with TD.

Setup an appointment (their website allows to setup appointments) and the actual formalities took about 30 mins. They have a "new to Canada" package - quite similar to offerings by the other banks. Also, received a $1000 unsecured credit card along with a debit card.

Will repeat this exercise (for my wife) next week with the same bank and same person. The entire process was a breeze. He recommended that I order the personalised cheques online from my account as the branch can only give out generic ones.

Deposited all my cash (incl cash withdrawn from travel card) in the self banking machine and received all receipts with account balances updated immediately.

1: Thanks again, is it safe and reliable to open a bank beforehand and transfer the money? Moreover, why did you chose not to stay with Scotia? On more is, how long does it take to get your debit and unsecured credit cards? Appreciate your help. :)

2: Why would we need a mailbox?