Doc's Request.
11-26-12 - Common law declaration/PRG/SSP
AOR Received.
Ottawa - 09-11-12 / DF 11-26-12
File Transfer...
09-17-12
Med's Done....
02-29-12
Here is our story and I am curious if anyone else has had a similar situation and how the process went for them.

We met in Canada almost two years ago now, he is mexican and I am canadian, we fell in love and moved in together, also have a daughter that has also fallen in love with him as a step-dad. He had been living illegally in Canada at the time, so needless to say we were always in fear of that phone call that he had been picked up. Last August they arrested him at our home and deported him almost emediately. We did very well at the hearing but they had already purchsed a plane ticket so we got him out on bail and spent our last few hours together as a family, a very tramatic experience for all of us.

We have since retained an immigration lawyer that seems to think we have a very good chance at having him come back with us, we have collected as much proof as possible. We didnt have anything joint as he was illegal, so that is a bit of an issue, he wasnt even on the rental agreement. However we have letters from neighbors confirming his residence, letters from both sides of our families, pictures, phone records, skype records and travel records (me traveling to visit him in mexico).

We have gotten everything together, police certificate, medical, all his identification for both him and his daughters, all my required info as a sponsor ect and are just about to submit it all for processing via our lawyer.

We are hoping that he will be back with us by December, but of course the immigration wheels move slowly, so who really knows. What is everyone elses experiences, my biggest worry is his illegal status and being deported. he had a one year ban which will expire in August. I guess the other thing to note is I am still married to my ex husband (Seperated 4 years) and am in the process of divorce (hopefully to be finalized soon) has anyone else been in this situation ?

We have applied common law, but wonder if once my divorce is finanlized if getting officially married will help our chances of having him come back with us or if it is really necissary....

Love this forum and reading all the progress everyone has gone through, Good luck to everyone else, this isnt easy!

lv1234

Star Member
Jan 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
mexico city
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2011
Doc's Request.
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
24-01-2012
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
02-12-2011
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
15-09-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
11-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Soon........
islenio said:
We used UPS, please make sure that they sell you a prepayed waybill to get your passport back and the use their UPS account to pay for the service. if they tell you that they need to enter your credit card on the waybill that is NOT a valid option in Mexico.

Good luck
Thanks. Also how do I sent the FBI to the CIC mexico city, do we drop it off at the same time as the constancia or dhl mail both documents together?

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
Ottawa: 23/07/2012 Mexico City: 20/08/2012
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
islenio said:
It says please consider that you will need to pay a fee for the constancia in Mexico
Thats what we figured, guess its just a weird way of writing it. Thanks islenio.

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
Hello everyone, I am new.

I have dual citizenship, US/Canada. I am married to a Mexican citizen who has been living in the US since he was a child and he is undocumented. Getting a green card is very difficult so we are going to move to Canada. I mailed the sponsorship application two weeks ago, mid Feb 2012. It is not showing up when I check application status yet.

Here is the situation: We applied for AND received a permanent resident card for him in 2010 but we couldn't move before it expired because I was pregnant and a few other reasons. We have a lovely little girl, 15 months old. She got her Canadian citizenship already. So it was a bummer to let that visa go and then have to do the ENTIRE process AGAIN including pay for everything again.

Last time it was so easy. 4 months which was way faster than expected, no interview, smooth sailing. But we need to move in April as my parents are moving to Toronto and we can put our stuff on the moving truck which saves us thousands. I sent in a visitor's visa application for him on Feb 29 but I was reading on other message boards that they might not let him in to Canada because there is no proof he will go back to Mexico as he cannot return to the US since he doesn't have a visa. He has no job, address or any real ties in Mexico.

Should the baby and I move in April and he stay in the US and wait? Because we don't want him denied entry to Canada with a temporary resident visa and then stuck in Mexico with nothing and no one.

I would appreciate your advice. Thank you.

islenio

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2-Aug-2011
AOR Received.
9-Nov-2011
File Transfer...
6-Oct-2011
Med's Done....
18-Jul-2011
Passport Req..
20-Jan-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Jan-2012
LANDED..........
4-Feb-2012
lv1234 said:
Thanks. Also how do I sent the FBI to the CIC mexico city, do we drop it off at the same time as the constancia or dhl mail both documents together?
Any of the two, we dropped our constancia the only "issue" is that they don't give you a receipt or anything. The courier option will give you that but we took the risk

M

mrandmrsromero

lv1234 said:
Emailed a photocopy with a covering note saying original would be dropped off in person at the embassy.

Also of note: although my husband did not receive receipts for dropping things off; every time he did so it was mentioned in the GCMS notes.

NAFTA.couple

Star Member
Jan 16, 2011
GTA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
05-04-11
LANDED..........
23-05-11
canadiangirl78 said:
Hello everyone, I am new.

I have dual citizenship, US/Canada. I am married to a Mexican citizen who has been living in the US since he was a child and he is undocumented. Getting a green card is very difficult so we are going to move to Canada. I mailed the sponsorship application two weeks ago, mid Feb 2012. It is not showing up when I check application status yet.

Here is the situation: We applied for AND received a permanent resident card for him in 2010 but we couldn't move before it expired because I was pregnant and a few other reasons. We have a lovely little girl, 15 months old. She got her Canadian citizenship already. So it was a bummer to let that visa go and then have to do the ENTIRE process AGAIN including pay for everything again.

Last time it was so easy. 4 months which was way faster than expected, no interview, smooth sailing. But we need to move in April as my parents are moving to Toronto and we can put our stuff on the moving truck which saves us thousands. I sent in a visitor's visa application for him on Feb 29 but I was reading on other message boards that they might not let him in to Canada because there is no proof he will go back to Mexico as he cannot return to the US since he doesn't have a visa. He has no job, address or any real ties in Mexico.

Should the baby and I move in April and he stay in the US and wait? Because we don't want him denied entry to Canada with a temporary resident visa and then stuck in Mexico with nothing and no one.

I would appreciate your advice. Thank you.
Welcome, girl78. You'll find lots of help here. These people are great and always willing to help.

(Off topic: I've been in Canada 10 months now. When do I get to call Canadians hosers? ;-p )

Anyhoo, my advice, girl78, is this: don't ever assume that things will go smoothly, even if everything was fine and quick the first time your hubby got a visa. As you read more accounts of how things go, you'll see that the unexpected happens. Also, things have definitely changed over the last two years. What does all this mean?
a. That visitor's visa has a slim chance of being approved. As you said, no real ties to Mexico, and then he'd be away from you and everything he knows. I guess it's not impossible, especially since he got a permanent res. visa before, but it's a big gamble.
b. Do you pack up hoping that he'll join you soon? See point a. There is really no way to know for sure how things will go this time around with either the TRV or the PR visa. The only sure thing you can do is to stay together until he gets his new PR visa. Do you hope for the best and go back to Canada to wait for him? It's a risk, and maybe it will pay off, but only you can decide whether you're willing to take the chance.

My story: undocumented in the US for many years, met a Canadian girl, we got married in AZ, then I moved back to Mexico to do the PR visa process; that process was surprisingly easy and quick, but it has been long and painful for others for reasons that aren't entirely clear (here's cheering for you, Mrs. Romero!)

Cheerio all

M

mrandmrsromero

NAFTA.couple said:
(here's cheering for you, Mrs. Romero!)
Thanks Nafta♥

Very nice response by the way! Sometimes I think its better for me to say nothing to new posters. I remember all too well the anxiety of analyzing all the potential complications - and hearing from an old-timer still waiting on the queue is probably not the most uplifting experience for a newbie. Our case is not exactly an advertisement for quick and easy :)

Jan 2, 2012
Queen Mason said:
Having a baby will not make the process faster, but it could be a good thing to prove that your relationship is genuine. Your husband can apply for a trv but he will have to convince the officer that he will return to mexico and that is very hard to prove when his wife lives there and she is pregnant and he has declared on his sponsorship application that he intends to live permanently in canda.

What i absolutely recomend you to do is apply for the visitor´s visa before u send the papers. Lets see. Does he live in canada or mexico?
send me a personal message if you want. I have some experience with visitors visas to canada. Take care and congratulations for the baby.

we did it!! we got our multi entry visa.. he leaves April 2nd . He will see his son when he is born!! thank god... we agreed he would return home on a certain day but will be catching the next flight back to canada to stay with us.. all the letters helped as well pics of our wedding and ultra sounds pics.. and doctors letters.. SUCCESS!!!!

now we are waiting for sponsorship but at least this hurdle has been passed!!! and we can focus on our canadian future ! thank you for all of your support!!

M

mrandmrsromero

That is so nice that you will be able to have your husband with you for the birth and beyond. Congratulations!

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
NAFTA.couple said:
Welcome, girl78. You'll find lots of help here. These people are great and always willing to help.

(Off topic: I've been in Canada 10 months now. When do I get to call Canadians hosers? ;-p )

Anyhoo, my advice, girl78, is this: don't ever assume that things will go smoothly, even if everything was fine and quick the first time your hubby got a visa. As you read more accounts of how things go, you'll see that the unexpected happens. Also, things have definitely changed over the last two years. What does all this mean?
a. That visitor's visa has a slim chance of being approved. As you said, no real ties to Mexico, and then he'd be away from you and everything he knows. I guess it's not impossible, especially since he got a permanent res. visa before, but it's a big gamble.
b. Do you pack up hoping that he'll join you soon? See point a. There is really no way to know for sure how things will go this time around with either the TRV or the PR visa. The only sure thing you can do is to stay together until he gets his new PR visa. Do you hope for the best and go back to Canada to wait for him? It's a risk, and maybe it will pay off, but only you can decide whether you're willing to take the chance.

My story: undocumented in the US for many years, met a Canadian girl, we got married in AZ, then I moved back to Mexico to do the PR visa process; that process was surprisingly easy and quick, but it has been long and painful for others for reasons that aren't entirely clear (here's cheering for you, Mrs. Romero!)

Cheerio all
Thank you for your response, NAFTA! I have a couple of questions.

1) What has changed in the last two years that could make our second visa application take longer or be less easy breazy?
2) If my husband is granted a visitors visa, is it still very risky to have him fly over? is it highly likely he will not be let in with the visa since he wont have a return ticket etc?
3) Why did you move back to Mexico for the process?

We are probably going to move our stuff with my parents, store it in Canada, and stay together in California until he gets the visa. I don't want daddy and daughter separated, it will be very hard on them. Hoping it takes 4 months again...at least we will have some furniture in the house that we were going to sell anyway.

Congrats on being in Canada for 10 months - I hope you like it!

islenio

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2-Aug-2011
AOR Received.
9-Nov-2011
File Transfer...
6-Oct-2011
Med's Done....
18-Jul-2011
Passport Req..
20-Jan-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Jan-2012
LANDED..........
4-Feb-2012
canadiangirl78,

Things are changing every day. The government is changing the rules and procedures and most people here will tell you that it is not as easy as it was.

But again each case is different.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Kenney+announces+controversial+immigration+policies/6237180/story.html

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
Baby on the way said:

we did it!! we got our multi entry visa.. he leaves April 2nd . He will see his son when he is born!! thank god... we agreed he would return home on a certain day but will be catching the next flight back to canada to stay with us.. all the letters helped as well pics of our wedding and ultra sounds pics.. and doctors letters.. SUCCESS!!!!

now we are waiting for sponsorship but at least this hurdle has been passed!!! and we can focus on our canadian future ! thank you for all of your support!!
congrats!!!

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
islenio said:
canadiangirl78,

Things are changing every day. The government is changing the rules and procedures and most people here will tell you that it is not as easy as it was.

But again each case is different.
Thank you for the link. That does seem mostly related to work visas not family sponsorship though. Has anything legally been changed in terms of family sponsorship or is it just being reported that it is taking longer? I looked at my records at the first PR visa that we received was processed in less than 3 months! We had no choice but to let it expire but sheesh it will be rough if it takes a lot longer this time.

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
canadiangirl78 said:
Thank you for the link. That does seem mostly related to work visas not family sponsorship though. Has anything legally been changed in terms of family sponsorship or is it just being reported that it is taking longer? I looked at my records at the first PR visa that we received was processed in less than 3 months! We had no choice but to let it expire but sheesh it will be rough if it takes a lot longer this time.
Nothing has changed yet, but I think Islenio's point is that things are changing in the immigration system.. they are talking about two year conditional visas (similar to the US) for spouses of Canada. That's all I heard, nothing has been implemented yet. The average wait time right now is 6 months if you pay the right of landing fee right away, but depending on how complex the case is, the wait can vary.

Correct me if I am wrong (mrs.romero and others) but if your spouse if illegal in the US, I think he has to return home to Mexico where he has actual legal status while applying for PR.. This is what I remember reading, maybe someone with personal experience can chime in..