+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****MAY 2019 Inland Spousal PR + OWP****

may2019

Star Member
Jun 21, 2019
Application received May 22
AOR: Still waiting

6 month temporary residency status expires September 30th. Do you recommend getting a visitor record extension OR leave Canada & then return (Thereby getting another 6 months in Canada? I still have a valid EtA.

Thanks everyone :)
I think you can wait till September.

SofiaMartins

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019

6 month temporary residency status expires September 30th. Do you recommend getting a visitor record extension OR leave Canada & then return (Thereby getting another 6 months in Canada? I still have a valid EtA.

Did you apply for a OWP?

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019

Where are you from? I'm American, and I was told by a CBSA officer one of the times I crossed that it's 180 cumulative days in a calendar year and it doesnt reset to day 1 if you leave and reenter. It might be different for citizens of other countries, idk

I would recommend applying for a Visitor Record regardless, in case your OWP doesnt come through before that. I applied for my VR in mid-April (because my status expired in early July) and I didn't get approved until July 4th. It was like 80 days, when the estimated waiting time was around 60. You do have implied status while waiting for your extension application to be processed if it does happen to put you into overstay territory, but they recommend you do it at least 30 days before your status expires.

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
Long time lurker, first time poster.

My timeline:

Mailed: March 23, 2019
Returned (missing birth certificate): May 16, 2019
Re-mailed: May 16, 2019
Received: June 3, 2019
AOR Recieved: July 24, 2019

Last edited:

Robslinga

Jan 26, 2019
Where are you from? I'm American, and I was told by a CBSA officer one of the times I crossed that it's 180 cumulative days in a calendar year and it doesnt reset to day 1 if you leave and reenter. It might be different for citizens of other countries, idk

I would recommend applying for a Visitor Record regardless, in case your OWP doesnt come through before that. I applied for my VR in mid-April (because my status expired in early July) and I didn't get approved until July 4th. It was like 80 days, when the estimated waiting time was around 60. You do have implied status while waiting for your extension application to be processed if it does happen to put you into overstay territory, but they recommend you do it at least 30 days before your status expires.
Thanks so much for your recommendation. I'm a UK passport holder so I get 180 days. That's interesting what you say about the time not "resetting" to day 1 on your return to Canada. I think I will definitely apply for a Visitor Record then. I'm hoping that my OWP arrives before end of September but there's no guarantee. I'd rather play it safe.

Do you perhaps have a website link for the Visitor Record extension process?

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
Thanks so much for your recommendation. I'm a UK passport holder so I get 180 days. That's interesting what you say about the time not "resetting" to day 1 on your return to Canada. I think I will definitely apply for a Visitor Record then. I'm hoping that my OWP arrives before end of September but there's no guarantee. I'd rather play it safe.

Do you perhaps have a website link for the Visitor Record extension process?
When my husband and I were making our plans for submitting all of this stuff and me living with him and all that, I made the same assumption that I could just leave and reenter (because the US has a similar Visa-exempt status to the UK though I'm not sure its exactly the same), and it wasn't until a helpful officer at the border told me that it's actually a cumulative thing out of a calendar year that I decided to apply for a Visitor Record just to be safe.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay/apply.html is the address that explains how to apply for a visitor record. You have to go through the little "are you eligible" wizard before you can get to the actual application package, but it's all done online so at least no having to worry about linking it properly and all that. It took me maybe 1/4 of the time that the PR/OWP apps took (but dont believe the est. waiting time, it's probably gonna take at least an extra 10 days)

Best of luck, and I hope your OWP arrives soon!

Chad4lyphe

Jul 28, 2019
I send in my pr sponsorship application without my police certificate with a explanation letter, I know received my police certificate should I send it now are wait until I get a reply from cic?

Robslinga

Jan 26, 2019
When my husband and I were making our plans for submitting all of this stuff and me living with him and all that, I made the same assumption that I could just leave and reenter (because the US has a similar Visa-exempt status to the UK though I'm not sure its exactly the same), and it wasn't until a helpful officer at the border told me that it's actually a cumulative thing out of a calendar year that I decided to apply for a Visitor Record just to be safe.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay/apply.html is the address that explains how to apply for a visitor record. You have to go through the little "are you eligible" wizard before you can get to the actual application package, but it's all done online so at least no having to worry about linking it properly and all that. It took me maybe 1/4 of the time that the PR/OWP apps took (but dont believe the est. waiting time, it's probably gonna take at least an extra 10 days)

Best of luck, and I hope your OWP arrives soon!
Great! I'll get on that immediately. Thanks so much for your help! Good luck with the rest of your PR application! :)

vanessalea

May 29, 2019

Hi! I am from the Philippines. I got here last Dec 2018 and trv expired last June 19. I was able to file an extension and got approved for 2 months only. May I know how many months were you approved for your extension?

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
Hi! I am from the Philippines. I got here last Dec 2018 and trv expired last June 19. I was able to file an extension and got approved for 2 months only. May I know how many months were you approved for your extension?
6 months (Dec. 31, 2019). That's what I asked for because I figured I'd have my OWP by then, but I knew that if I hadn't gotten my OWP yet, my ability to stay for 180 days per calendar year visa free resets on Januart 1st, so I'd be okay.

When did you request to stay until?