+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada after citizenship ceremony

Discussion in 'Citizenship' started by vanmover, Mar 20, 2019.

1. #1 vanmover, Mar 20, 2019 at 6:04 PM
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Hi!

I've just been given a date for my citizenship ceremony, but I'm going to be overseas for work for the next couple of months. I'll fly to Vancouver for my citizenship ceremony/oath, but I understand there may be an issue with leaving the country afterwards on my non-Canadian passport? Do I need to get a Canadian passport before I leave? Thanks!

2. After the test you are not yet Canadian.. only after the oath. No Canadian passport available to you.
    So what you do prior to the oath is done on your current passport and PR card.

3. Sorry that was a terrible typo. I meant my oath/ceremony! I've passed my test :)

4. You can leave with your current foreign passport just after the oath.....
    .... but you won't be able to return to Canada.

Actually as soon as you are Canadian, you need a valid Canadian passport to re-enter Canada.
    It seems that they are ways to get a travel document from abroad in case you don't have a passport. However I suggest that you stay a bit longer after the oath so you can get a passport before leaving.

All details: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html

foodie69 and k300k3 like this.
  5. Hi, I have the same case as you.. just wondering if you get to leave Canada without your canadian passport? thank you very much.

6. Of course you can.
    The canadian passport ony matters when you want to go back. And you can apply for a passport anywhere...

7. you can get your canadian passport overseas with your citizenship certificate. there's no saying that you have to get you CA passport in CA