+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada after citizenship ceremony

vanmover

Jan 31, 2015
Hi!

I've just been given a date for my citizenship ceremony, but I'm going to be overseas for work for the next couple of months. I'll fly to Vancouver for my citizenship ceremony/oath, but I understand there may be an issue with leaving the country afterwards on my non-Canadian passport? Do I need to get a Canadian passport before I leave? Thanks!

Last edited:

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hi!

I've just been given a date for my citizenship ceremony, but I'm going to be overseas for work for the next couple of months. I'll fly to Vancouver for my citizenship test, but I understand there may be an issue with leaving the country afterwards on my non-Canadian passport? Do I need to get a Canadian passport before I leave? Thanks!
After the test you are not yet Canadian.. only after the oath. No Canadian passport available to you.
So what you do prior to the oath is done on your current passport and PR card.

vanmover

Jan 31, 2015
After the test you are not yet Canadian.. only after the oath. No Canadian passport available to you.
So what you do prior to the oath is done on your current passport and PR card.

Sorry that was a terrible typo. I meant my oath/ceremony! I've passed my test :)

Gibe

Star Member
Aug 3, 2018
You can leave with your current foreign passport just after the oath.....
.... but you won't be able to return to Canada.

Actually as soon as you are Canadian, you need a valid Canadian passport to re-enter Canada.
It seems that they are ways to get a travel document from abroad in case you don't have a passport. However I suggest that you stay a bit longer after the oath so you can get a passport before leaving.

All details: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html

Reactions: foodie69 and k300k3

svsynk

Nov 9, 2019
Hi, I have the same case as you.. just wondering if you get to leave Canada without your canadian passport? thank you very much.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hi, I have the same case as you.. just wondering if you get to leave Canada without your canadian passport? thank you very much.
Of course you can.
The canadian passport ony matters when you want to go back. And you can apply for a passport anywhere...

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
Hi!

I've just been given a date for my citizenship ceremony, but I'm going to be overseas for work for the next couple of months. I'll fly to Vancouver for my citizenship ceremony/oath, but I understand there may be an issue with leaving the country afterwards on my non-Canadian passport? Do I need to get a Canadian passport before I leave? Thanks!
you can get your canadian passport overseas with your citizenship certificate. there's no saying that you have to get you CA passport in CA

Sohaib89

Star Member
Aug 14, 2014
Its an old thread but I will give it a try. Was anyone able to leave after oath and get their 1st ever Canadian passport from outside Canada ?

Rpa567

Jul 19, 2019
My friend is a truck driver who travels to USA daily for his job and comes back. He got invite for his citizenship oath ceremony.
It takes 2-6 weeks to get the citizenship certificate after the oath and they will have to cut the PR card during the oath ceremony. Will he be able to work for those few weeks until he gets the Citizenship certificate, without any PR card ? Or is there any process to expedite the process.

Esther8642

Apr 18, 2023
I took the citizenship ceremony today. and i have to leave Canada before applying for a passport. Did anybody apply it abroad?

SMNewMember

Star Member
Jan 28, 2019
I took the citizenship ceremony today. and i have to leave Canada before applying for a passport. Did anybody apply it abroad?
Were you able to travel outside Canada after citizenship ceremony and apply for the passport from outside of Canada? I am in a similar situation. I need to travel after my citizenship ceremony and apply for a Canadian passport from outside. Exploring all possibilities therefore.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
No need to ask for anecdotal evidence for people here. The official website says so.
It is possible to apply for a new passport wherever Canada offers consular services.
Have a look here : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports-abroad/new-adult-passport-abroad.html

The only complication (apart form the fact that it's more expensive!) is that a guarantor needs to sign the passport application form and a picture. You can do so right after oath and before leaving the country if you don't know any Canadian citizen in the country where you're going and want to avoid the hassle of looking for an occupation based guarantor https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html#outside-canada