+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada after citizenship ceremony

dodgeram12

Dec 6, 2022
You can leave with your current foreign passport just after the oath.....
.... but you won't be able to return to Canada.

Actually as soon as you are Canadian, you need a valid Canadian passport to re-enter Canada.
It seems that they are ways to get a travel document from abroad in case you don't have a passport. However I suggest that you stay a bit longer after the oath so you can get a passport before leaving.

All details: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html
Can he not apply for Canadian passport from abroad?

Navily

Dec 27, 2017
Hi all, I’m in a similar situation where I can’t wait any further for my citizenship certificate. My oath ceremony was done last week but I understand there’s a backlog and citizenship certificate (e certificate) can take almost a month.
Did anyone apply for their first passport outside Canada?
On cic web, passport application outside Canada section, I see a requirement of showing recent travel document (valid or expired) but our PRs were cut during the ceremony.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hi all, I’m in a similar situation where I can’t wait any further for my citizenship certificate. My oath ceremony was done last week but I understand there’s a backlog and citizenship certificate (e certificate) can take almost a month.
Did anyone apply for their first passport outside Canada?
On cic web, passport application outside Canada section, I see a requirement of showing recent travel document (valid or expired) but our PRs were cut during the ceremony.
The PR card is not a "travel document" and isn't needed here.
The requirement you're referring to is speaking about documents given to refugees. Have a look here if you're curious: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-non-canadians.html

Navily

Dec 27, 2017
The PR card is not a "travel document" and isn't needed here.
The requirement you're referring to is speaking about documents given to refugees. Have a look here if you're curious: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-non-canadians.html
thanks for sharing this. Does it mean I cannot travel until I receive my citizenship certificate?
I was hoping to leave Canada using my international passport and when I receive my e certificate I apply for the passport through the consulate of the country I’m in.

do you think it’s possible?

Navily

Dec 27, 2017
It is possible. The Canadian passport is only needed to go back to Canada.
That’s exactly my worry, will I be able to apply for passport from any other country’s consulate? If/when I want to return to Canada.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
That’s exactly my worry, will I be able to apply for passport from any other country’s consulate? If/when I want to return to Canada.
The "it is possible" part answers it.
Yes, you can apply for a passport anywhere in the world, at the closest Canadian consulate.

Reactions: tomlee1986

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Doing research for the same situation in 2024 April, may I ask did you applied your canadian passport outside of Canada?
Not the person you asked, but I personally know people who applied for their 1st passport from abroad.
You can do it, don't worry.

xf2278389393

Aug 27, 2023
Hi!

I've just been given a date for my citizenship ceremony, but I'm going to be overseas for work for the next couple of months. I'll fly to Vancouver for my citizenship ceremony/oath, but I understand there may be an issue with leaving the country afterwards on my non-Canadian passport? Do I need to get a Canadian passport before I leave? Thanks!
Depending on what your other citizenship is, you may be able to apply for a special authorization to return back to Canada on your other passport.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html#findOut

If you have a US passport, you can use it to fly into Canada without anything else.