+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada through USA during Covid-19

sam 1234

Jun 13, 2020
Soft Landing @ Peace Bridge Sep 9 and return the same day to US using AVR.

After taking “Canada only” exit, Reached Canadaian Checkpost. Canada Officer was polite and asked for the purpose of visit and checked my COPR and asked me to go into the stone building.

The first officer checked my, proof of funds, COPR And have me signed it. Asked me when am I coming back to Canada permanently. I said I’m planning very soon around end of the year.

the second officer checked my GTF and I did not fill the GTF with detailed description and so she asked me to fill it out again. It took me about 30 minutes in that counter and then proceeded to the third counter where they gave the receipt for GTF. I asked them where to take the U turn to US.
The officer was generous, he came out and pointed me the U turn to US.

US CBP:
Took my passport and i797 and asked my nationality and where do I live in US. After 10 minutes, said good to go.

rebelagain

Sep 16, 2020
Hi

looking to soft land in a week via plane. Would have to quarantine myself for 14 days there.
Wanted to check if I need to carry any proof of funds. I thought that was not mentioned in COPR to carry

also can one land and come back after 14 days? Is it still going on? Did anyone do recently ?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi

looking to soft land in a week via plane. Would have to quarantine myself for 14 days there.
Wanted to check if I need to carry any proof of funds. I thought that was not mentioned in COPR to carry

also can one land and come back after 14 days? Is it still going on? Did anyone do recently ?
Generally soft landings are not allowed currently so you do so at your own risk whether you might be turned back just depends on who you face at CBSA desk.

Suspect if arriving by air and have a convincing isolation plan maybe not as big a risk as crossing the land border given the latter easier to reject someone, but thats just a personal view. There are various posts on here about people succeeding through land and others being turned back so no consistency even through that route. With CBSA advice always to answer questions asked honestly but not to volunteer anything extra not asked so basically not to get into a conversation.

See this link about someone who landed Oct 1 without issue although they did not indicate in post how long they stayed on post the mandatory quarantine.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/soft-landing-vs-settling-permanently.704036/

Ultimately once in the country as long as meet the 14 day quarantine given the penalties for not doing so anybody can leave whenever they want

Last edited:

sam 1234

Jun 13, 2020
Hi All,

I have completed the soft landing and came back to USA the same day use AVR. In my i94 online, the last entry date did not change to my recent travel date to Canada in Sep 2020. It just shows my previous entry date which was 2019. Can someone advi

Ammjyo

Jun 2, 2019
Hi All,

I have completed the soft landing and came back to USA the same day use AVR. In my i94 online, the last entry date did not change to my recent travel date to Canada in Sep 2020. It just shows my previous entry date which was 2019. Can someone advi
Hi , Congratulations !

Quick question - was your expired visa that you used for AVR is from your current employer or past employer ? Does it really matter in case of AVR ?

Thanks