+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada through USA during Covid-19

sriks91

Sep 26, 2018
They are doing landing process,nothing to worry...I landed couple of days ago via same route.
Thanks for the heads up. Are you on 14 day quarantine in Windsor? I am planning to drive to Toronto for the quarantine but not sure if they will let me drive that far.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Unrelated to the travel ban. I called the NYS public health department today, asking whether they force mandatory quarantine from if the traveler, originating from one of the high Covid states, passes through NYS to Canada. The answer I've gotten is that there are no guidelines on this yet and they will need to discuss.
i presume such a thing would be applicable only to the visitors of the state. looks like the list for you to worry is getting endless!

Sid94587

Jan 9, 2018
I took a flight from Toronto so all the immigration stuff happens at Toronto airport. They saw my passport and I797
Hey Nirjhar, was your COPR after March 18? Mine is after and I am thinking if I drive to the border, will they let me enter?

im2gaurav

Jun 16, 2018
I took a flight and it was a smooth experience for me. I know someone who took their own car and they had a smooth experience as well.
Hi can you please let me know what did they ask when someone took their own vehicle? did us border ask anything ant their car coz they might have given they VIN number to the CBS for import. Appreciate your reply I am planning to do landing soon in my own car.

im2gaurav

Jun 16, 2018
They are doing landing process,nothing to worry...I landed couple of days ago via same route.
did they process your PR card application application? Did you landed on any specific day? Appreciate your reply I am planning to land soon. Also did you use your own car or rental?

nisu

Aug 19, 2019
Hi can you please let me know what did they ask when someone took their own vehicle? did us border ask anything ant their car coz they might have given they VIN number to the CBS for import. Appreciate your reply I am planning to do landing soon in my own car.

nisu

Aug 19, 2019
We traveled by our own car. Canadian Border agents only ask that if we own the car. We said yes and that's it. They never ask for title from us.
We didn't import the car, we told them we will do it later.
When arriving back to US, US agents ask weather we own the car or not, we said yes. That's all. They also didn't ask for title.

Reactions: im2gaurav

im2gaurav

Jun 16, 2018
We traveled by our own car. Canadian Border agents only ask that if we own the car. We said yes and that's it. They never ask for title from us.
We didn't import the car, we told them we will do it later.
When arriving back to US, US agents ask weather we own the car or not, we said yes. That's all. They also didn't ask for title.
Thank you so much appreciate your reply. Did you submitted PR card application at the border? did you go on any specific day?

hsent

Aug 20, 2020
My application was also approved before 3/18/2020. I still haven't made my first trip.
I work in Detroit. Can I do a soft landing now and travel for work everyday or would I still be subjected to 14 day quarantine?

Last edited:

im2gaurav

Jun 16, 2018
My application was approved after March 18th. I assume anybody who goes has to do 14th day quarantine and can come back as they want to and its not necessary to show the later plan after 14 day quarantine. Please correct me if I am wrong.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My application was approved after March 18th. I assume anybody who goes has to do 14th day quarantine and can come back as they want to and its not necessary to show the later plan after 14 day quarantine. Please correct me if I am wrong.
You need to show that your travel is essential.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My application was also approved before 3/18/2020. I still haven't made my first trip.
I work in Detroit. Can I do a soft landing now and travel for work everyday or would I still be subjected to 14 day quarantine?
Are you an essential worker?

im2gaurav

Jun 16, 2018
Are you an essential worker?
No. I am not. I am just going for soft landing. So if I am not essential worker. What are the things I have to tell them. Also my COPR is not expired.

Travelling from the US (group 2)
Applicants can travel to Canada from the US for non-discretionary reasons to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident if

• their application was approved
  • they received their COPR and PRV and both are still valid and
  • they have an acceptable plan to quarantine for 14 days in Canada

Last edited:

CanadaReady

Aug 23, 2020
I was able to do softlanding yesterday at the Detroit-Windsor tunnel.
The process was simple.
At border they asked if I was returning back to usa immediately. I said yes.
Then she pointed us to a parking spot and another officer attended to our documents.
He asked for the copr, got us to sign it, asked goods to follow list and car title.
Never asked for the canada address.
Returned a copy of copr with the passport.
and we were on our way back.

After reaching home, we tried to change the address online.....but it errors out saying the given information is wrong.
There is a dropdown for Place of Birth, but it has only country names. But in our documents "Place of Birth" is the town/city name.
Not able to change it. Did anyone face this issue???

Puneet076

Mar 22, 2019
I was able to do softlanding yesterday at the Detroit-Windsor tunnel.
The process was simple.
At border they asked if I was returning back to usa immediately. I said yes.
Then she pointed us to a parking spot and another officer attended to our documents.
He asked for the copr, got us to sign it, asked goods to follow list and car title.
Never asked for the canada address.
Returned a copy of copr with the passport.
and we were on our way back.

After reaching home, we tried to change the address online.....but it errors out saying the given information is wrong.
There is a dropdown for Place of Birth, but it has only country names. But in our documents "Place of Birth" is the town/city name.
Not able to change it. Did anyone face this issue???
I faced the same issue. While completing landing procedure, officer told me that they are not issuing PR card as such but provided the landing document that can be used to come to Canada anytime through land (not by air). When I tried to change the address online, it was giving me the same error that information is wrong. I did not find any solution other than going to Canada by land whenever I am ready to move permanently and applying for PR card. Let me know if you find anything.