+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada through USA during Covid-19

vikas.trades25

Jan 8, 2019
Hi everyone..
I am planning to do a soft landing mid-September at Toronto (going via air from Newark). I am planning to return the same day from the airport.
1.) Could anyone let me know can I do the above or do i need to do a 14 day quarantine.
2.)Also did anyone face any issues returning to USA on H-1b.
3.) I have read above that the PR card is not being issued and one can use the landing document to enter again via land. Is this changed now, do they ask for canada address or not. I read above that people were trying to change the address online. Is this related to the address you want to receive the PR card in future or something else.

Would really appreciate if someone could answer all these queries.

vamsikgr

Sep 22, 2019
Did any one complete landing requirements, in a August 2020 and returned back on the same day? If so can you share your experiences.

TIA

CanadaReady

Aug 23, 2020
I faced the same issue. While completing landing procedure, officer told me that they are not issuing PR card as such but provided the landing document that can be used to come to Canada anytime through land (not by air). When I tried to change the address online, it was giving me the same error that information is wrong. I did not find any solution other than going to Canada by land whenever I am ready to move permanently and applying for PR card. Let me know if you find anything.
For now I sent them a webform request with the canada address

CanadaReady

Aug 23, 2020
Hi everyone..
I am planning to do a soft landing mid-September at Toronto (going via air from Newark). I am planning to return the same day from the airport.
1.) Could anyone let me know can I do the above or do i need to do a 14 day quarantine.
2.)Also did anyone face any issues returning to USA on H-1b.
3.) I have read above that the PR card is not being issued and one can use the landing document to enter again via land. Is this changed now, do they ask for canada address or not. I read above that people were trying to change the address online. Is this related to the address you want to receive the PR card in future or something else.

Would really appreciate if someone could answer all these queries.
1. As far as I know returning the same day is possible only when you travel by land. Not air. You will have to quarantine
2. Should not have any issue if your H1b is already stamped. If you have given for your extension look out for the posts that mention AVR
3. It depends on the officer you get. Some officers ask for the address. Mine did not. So I planned to give my friends current address via webform to where they will send my PR card, hopefully in the next 90 days.

vikas.trades25

Jan 8, 2019
1. As far as I know returning the same day is possible only when you travel by land. Not air. You will have to quarantine
2. Should not have any issue if your H1b is already stamped. If you have given for your extension look out for the posts that mention AVR
3. It depends on the officer you get. Some officers ask for the address. Mine did not. So I planned to give my friends current address via webform to where they will send my PR card, hopefully in the next 90 days.
Hi CanadaReady,
Thanks for replying. Really appreciate it.
Regarding your reply to point 1, can I travel by train (could take the Amtrak Maple leaf train from NYC) and do the immigration stuff at Niagara Falls station and then plan to return from their itself (Would need to take a look at returning train timings). If I plan to cross by road, I could fly to Buffalo, NY and then try to cross the land border. Is it possible to take a taxi or some public transport for the crossing or one needs to take his own vehicle.

Thanks again

vikas.trades25

Jan 8, 2019
I live about 12 hrs away from the border. It might be ok if you drive through NYS to CAN. But if you fly there to cross they will get a list from the airline and start calling people.
Hi decdeccan,
Reading your earlier comments, I wanted to know if you crossed the rainbow bridge by foot and were able to return back.
I plan to either fly to buffalo or take a train from NY and then cross the rainbow bridge via foot and come back. Is there still quarantine requirements for Buffalo state for ppl coming from NY or NJ state.
Thanks

sam 1234

Jun 13, 2020

CanadaReady

Aug 23, 2020
Hi CanadaReady,
Thanks for replying. Really appreciate it.
Regarding your reply to point 1, can I travel by train (could take the Amtrak Maple leaf train from NYC) and do the immigration stuff at Niagara Falls station and then plan to return from their itself (Would need to take a look at returning train timings). If I plan to cross by road, I could fly to Buffalo, NY and then try to cross the land border. Is it possible to take a taxi or some public transport for the crossing or one needs to take his own vehicle.

Thanks again
Probably flight to Buffalo and a rental car to cross the border. Any public transportation might require quarantine.

pp90032

Jul 16, 2020
Ok, so I went to complete the CoPR landing procedures. Here it goes:

Where: Detroit-Windsor Tunnel
What: Complete CoPR landing process/soft landing, come back to USA right after.
Who: Self, wife, kid
When: Aug 28th
Visa Status: Self/H1b, Wife/H4, Kid/USC

Went to the Detroit-Windsor tunnel. Paid the toll USD 4.75 and drove further through the tunnel. At the end of it, there was a checkpoint where we do the first set of checking.

First checkpoint.
Visa officer: What is your purpose to enter Canada. Takes our passports.
P: We are here to complete the landing procedure for CoPR.
VO: Are you staying inside Canada?
P: No. We will go back to USA after the process is complete.
VO: (He was pissed off at that point.) Why are you going back right away? Why did you come here if not going inside? Why didn't you doing it all at once?
P: (almost shivering at that point, thinking he might turn away and not let us go any further). It is really weird timing and due to Covid situation it is not safe to complete everything at once. The border was closed a few times and so we would like to come back at a better time.
VO: (still pissed off and not convinced. )
P: Also our CoPR is expiring in next month. We waited until we can and now want to complete the process.
VO: (still not backing off) well you could have asked them and they could have extended it.
P: (now really shivering) uttering all that I could regarding how difficult it was regarding Covid and other stuff.
Finally, he let it go.
VO: Whose car is this? How much cash are you carrying? Any firearms? All of you doing landing today?
Answered all those questions. and then he returned back passports. Go a litter further and take a right just about in 100 feet and park there. Someone will help you.

2nd office. Stayed in the car only.
Overthere 2 officers came out and took our passports, CoPRs. I also showed him I have filled out goods to follow list and B4 form. He asked whats your address in Canada. I gave a friend's address. he asked, is this your house? I said no it's a friend's house. He then refuses to take the address to apply for PR card. He said you can't do that and got pissed off as well. He said you should have come for settlement and then only apply for PR card. I tried to not say much at that point and wanted to just complete CoPR. Hoped to get that done and apply for PR later.

He then went inside and after a few mins came back with my B4 form. He clarified if I was bringing anything from the list, I said that list is for the next time when I actually bring the stuff. He said I should have used B4a for good to follow. This form is for goods to accompany. He then wrote "goods to follow" on the form when signed it.

Didn't take much after. Took my sign, wife's sign and returned back passports, signed CoPR, goods to follow list. Showed us where to take a u-turn. Thanked both officers a couple of times and left. Took ~1hr total for the family for both checkpoints combined.

Coming back to the US side it was like 5 mins. Took our passports, asked why are you here, why did you cross the border. Explained him briefly. He scanned the passports and let us go.

So there! Completed CoPR landing but they didn't let us apply for the PR card. I guess I will apply for it via some webform as read in this or other posts. But at least PR is now approved so happy for that and not worrying too much about the PR card.

A big thank you to other members who shared their experiences and knowledge here that helped me and sharing my exp as well for others to take some hints. Happy to answer any questions if anyone comes across this.

Reactions: Cananm and sam 1234

sam 1234

Jun 13, 2020
Ok, so I went to complete the CoPR landing procedures. Here it goes:

Where: Detroit-Windsor Tunnel
What: Complete CoPR landing process/soft landing, come back to USA right after.
Who: Self, wife, kid
When: Aug 28th
Visa Status: Self/H1b, Wife/H4, Kid/USC

Went to the Detroit-Windsor tunnel. Paid the toll USD 4.75 and drove further through the tunnel. At the end of it, there was a checkpoint where we do the first set of checking.

First checkpoint.
Visa officer: What is your purpose to enter Canada. Takes our passports.
P: We are here to complete the landing procedure for CoPR.
VO: Are you staying inside Canada?
P: No. We will go back to USA after the process is complete.
VO: (He was pissed off at that point.) Why are you going back right away? Why did you come here if not going inside? Why didn't you doing it all at once?
P: (almost shivering at that point, thinking he might turn away and not let us go any further). It is really weird timing and due to Covid situation it is not safe to complete everything at once. The border was closed a few times and so we would like to come back at a better time.
VO: (still pissed off and not convinced. )
P: Also our CoPR is expiring in next month. We waited until we can and now want to complete the process.
VO: (still not backing off) well you could have asked them and they could have extended it.
P: (now really shivering) uttering all that I could regarding how difficult it was regarding Covid and other stuff.
Finally, he let it go.
VO: Whose car is this? How much cash are you carrying? Any firearms? All of you doing landing today?
Answered all those questions. and then he returned back passports. Go a litter further and take a right just about in 100 feet and park there. Someone will help you.

2nd office. Stayed in the car only.
Overthere 2 officers came out and took our passports, CoPRs. I also showed him I have filled out goods to follow list and B4 form. He asked whats your address in Canada. I gave a friend's address. he asked, is this your house? I said no it's a friend's house. He then refuses to take the address to apply for PR card. He said you can't do that and got pissed off as well. He said you should have come for settlement and then only apply for PR card. I tried to not say much at that point and wanted to just complete CoPR. Hoped to get that done and apply for PR later.

He then went inside and after a few mins came back with my B4 form. He clarified if I was bringing anything from the list, I said that list is for the next time when I actually bring the stuff. He said I should have used B4a for good to follow. This form is for goods to accompany. He then wrote "goods to follow" on the form when signed it.

Didn't take much after. Took my sign, wife's sign and returned back passports, signed CoPR, goods to follow list. Showed us where to take a u-turn. Thanked both officers a couple of times and left. Took ~1hr total for the family for both checkpoints combined.

Coming back to the US side it was like 5 mins. Took our passports, asked why are you here, why did you cross the border. Explained him briefly. He scanned the passports and let us go.

So there! Completed CoPR landing but they didn't let us apply for the PR card. I guess I will apply for it via some webform as read in this or other posts. But at least PR is now approved so happy for that and not worrying too much about the PR card.

A big thank you to other members who shared their experiences and knowledge here that helped me and sharing my exp as well for others to take some hints. Happy to answer any questions if anyone comes across this.
Congrats and Thanks for sharing the information.

Reactions: pp90032