+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada through USA during Covid-19

Jun 4, 2020
Hi guys,

I heard from one of my friend today that one can do a "soft-landing" in Canada via Detriot-Windsor border and essentially one would have to let the officer know that you don't intend to enter Canada at this time but are doing a soft-landing as the CoPR is expiring soon and wants to go back to the US after this procedure. And that the officer allows you to do that after verifying all the documents. The friend of mine has his friend do this and hence I wanted to confirm if someone has done something like this here ?

nirjhar18

Apr 2, 2019
That is great!! Can you please share your experience at the USA border like what documents and questions were asked by the officer?
I took a flight from Toronto so all the immigration stuff happens at Toronto airport. They saw my passport and I797

RitzzG

Jun 24, 2019
You should have a plan to tell them where are you staying. I showed them our Airbnb reservation. We flew to Toronto so we did not have any food with us.
1. Is it required to carry printouts of Airbnb/hotel reservation or showing them on mobile app should be enough?
2. Are we able to use US credit/debit cards till the time we don't open a Canadian bank account?
3. Did US phone number worked without any hassles over there?
4. Would you please explain customs stage in more detail? - When to prepare GA/GTF list?What all things to include in them - all the personal belongings or only expensive items(mobile/laptop/vehicle/etc.)? Should we take pre-filled forms or can we also have all the details on a plain sheet which custom officer will stamp? Please address all these and other relevant things.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: kp549

lemonlemoning

Dec 2, 2019
I took a flight from Toronto so all the immigration stuff happens at Toronto airport. They saw my passport and I797
Hi, thank you so much for sharing!

Just wondering did they look at your H1b visa at all? Reason why im asking is mine expired long time ago, so I'm counting on the AVR to reenter the US.

Thanks!

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi, thank you so much for sharing!

Just wondering did they look at your H1b visa at all? Reason why im asking is mine expired long time ago, so I'm counting on the AVR to reenter the US.

Thanks!
AVR allows you to reenter especially for expired visa candidates. So being not looked for that person doesnt mean you would get the same treatment. You should be fine as one other post i saw who was here for 10 years. So i am sure you wont be here for 20 years(i assume). So dont worry on if they looked into his/her visa instead check the rules if they will allow you.

Reactions: lemonlemoning

lemonlemoning

Dec 2, 2019
AVR allows you to reenter especially for expired visa candidates. So being not looked for that person doesnt mean you would get the same treatment. You should be fine as one other post i saw who was here for 10 years. So i am sure you wont be here for 20 years(i assume). So dont worry on if they looked into his/her visa instead check the rules if they will allow you.
Thank you for the kind advise!

HoustonRodeo

Jun 17, 2020

Does visa officer call employer to verify employment when coming back to US using AVR (land or air)? My current job is fine but may get terminated by August mid. I plan to travel in July.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Does visa officer call employer to verify employment when coming back to US using AVR (land or air)? My current job is fine but may get terminated by August mid. I plan to travel in July.
99.9% they dont verify but rarely they do randomly or if officer is not convinced for some reason.
Just travel as usual and dont disclose more than what is asked/required. As long as you are on the job, it should be fine. Even if they ask on how long the current project/assignment, you can tell that its for 1-2-3 years(whichever you feel comfortable, mentioned at least till your current I94 is at least).

Its a rare scenario, Dont worry, travel normally, it should be, dont tell anything additional.

Reactions: HoustonRodeo

Tg123

Jun 12, 2019
Guys I am new to this group...we are playing to land in august as our COPR expires in september....Can anyone guide us if we can cross the border by land?? or since the borders are closd we can only land by air at this point??

sriks91

Sep 26, 2018
I am returning on Sunday. Will keep you posted.
Hey Nirjhar, I am now planning to travel via Windsor with my CoPR about to expire in July. Want to know if they are doing landing process or is it just enter and wait for someone to call for the landing? When I called IRCC I was told there wont be any CoPR Landing due to Covid-19. Can you tell me what was the process for you? I am planning to return back after the 14 day quarantine as well. I want to make sure I can come back with in 2-3 weeks of my stay as I am not planning to move at a later point of time.

Ontarioking

Jul 2, 2019
Hey Nirjhar, I am now planning to travel via Windsor with my CoPR about to expire in July. Want to know if they are doing landing process or is it just enter and wait for someone to call for the landing? When I called IRCC I was told there wont be any CoPR Landing due to Covid-19. Can you tell me what was the process for you? I am planning to return back after the 14 day quarantine as well. I want to make sure I can come back with in 2-3 weeks of my stay as I am not planning to move at a later point of time.
They are doing landing process,nothing to worry...I landed couple of days ago via same route.

Reactions: im2gaurav