+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing vs settling permanently

Aliasoufan

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
I have been following the updated instructions on the ircc website but still no possibility of soft landing if not willing to settle permanently.

My COPR which was issued in December 2019 expires on december 4th 2020. I had planned my soft landing trip this month but had to cancel my ticket as i still cannot land if i do not intend to settle permanently as per all the mentioned groups in the ircc website.

Knowing that i cannot do a soft landing at the moment, is it guaranteed that i don’t lose by copr after it expires in December? Will i get an extension for soft landing to process my PR?

Also when ready to travel, how much time ahead should i inform the IRCC? (Knowing that there are notice periods of 2 months i would have to give in the uae with regards to my work, apartment rent renewal, etc...)

I’ve sent the IRCc a webform explaining all of the above last week but still haven't received any response.

please share if anyone is in the same situation. and good luck to all.

Aliasoufan

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
I understand, i hope there is no risk losing it.. i trust them but a lot of questions in my head at the same time.

thank you for always replying :)

computer_leprechaun

Sep 9, 2020
I understand, i hope there is no risk losing it.. i trust them but a lot of questions in my head at the same time.

thank you for always replying :)
There is some risk - but given the circumstances, I think the odds are pretty good that you will be okay. Everyone knows this is a complicated time. I would just be ready to explain that it's not that you don't want to come - you can't.

Anks86

Star Member
Feb 1, 2020
Boston, U.S.A
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-09-2019
AOR Received.
03-09-2019
Med's Done....
16-09-2019
Hi, need some help here. I am the primary on my application and my wife is secondary. For some reason she cannot travel for soft landing at this time (visa processing issues in US). Can I do the soft landing alone? Can she do it at a later time? Does she have to so it within the given CoPR expiration dates?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Hi, need some help here. I am the primary on my application and my wife is secondary. For some reason she cannot travel for soft landing at this time (visa processing issues in US). Can I do the soft landing alone? Can she do it at a later time? Does she have to so it within the given CoPR expiration dates?
You can't soft land.

Anks86

Star Member
Feb 1, 2020
Boston, U.S.A
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-09-2019
AOR Received.
03-09-2019
Med's Done....
16-09-2019
Can I hard land/move there permanently and can she come in later using the CoPR? How lo g is CoPR usually valid for?
You can't soft land.

computer_leprechaun

Sep 9, 2020
Hi

isn’t many here soft landed and came back?
I read many posts like that.
Yes, many people do this and it's common, but it is not what you're supposed to be doing right now. That's because of COVID and, presumably, it will be allowed again when the pandemic is less of a threat, whenever that is.

So yes, many do it - but now is not the time. If you choose to try to land, you run the risk of being asked not to, and sent home. If you choose not to land, you run the risk of your documents expiring, but IRCC has indicated they'll likely honor expired documents or extend them given the circumstances. (But that can't be guaranteed to you by anyone other than IRCC.)

rebelagain

Sep 16, 2020
Well many ppl here have done soft landing during pandemic. That’s what I meant. We know you can soft land other times but if you read posts many have done soft landing even going and quarantining first 14 days and then coming back.

computer_leprechaun

Sep 9, 2020
Well many ppl here have done soft landing during pandemic. That’s what I meant. We know you can soft land other times but if you read posts many have done soft landing even going and quarantining first 14 days and then coming back.
Yes, people have done it. I just want to be clear with you about what the risks are. I'm not going to tell you to not do it, that's entirely your own choice - if you can afford it if you are turned away, I don't think there is a terrible penalty to be paid for trying - just know it is not in the spirit or the word of what IRCC wants you to do now.

Reactions: primaprime
Aug 26, 2020
Hi everybody,
I hope our experience will help some of you who are facing uncertainty whether to do soft landing or not. We arrived in Toronto on October 1. Our CoPR will expire on November 27. We were not sure if we will be allowed into Canada as the website said come to Canada only if you are permanently settling down. But we took the risk and thanks God there was no problem. Everything at the immigration was easy and smooth. They didn't ask why we are coming, or why we are travelling during pandemic, they just asked for passports and CoPR and asked us to wait, after 10 minutes everything was ready.
Good luck to everyone and hope this helps to clarify your doubts...

The Spectacle

Sep 16, 2020
Hi everybody,
I hope our experience will help some of you who are facing uncertainty whether to do soft landing or not. We arrived in Toronto on October 1. Our CoPR will expire on November 27. We were not sure if we will be allowed into Canada as the website said come to Canada only if you are permanently settling down. But we took the risk and thanks God there was no problem. Everything at the immigration was easy and smooth. They didn't ask why we are coming, or why we are travelling during pandemic, they just asked for passports and CoPR and asked us to wait, after 10 minutes everything was ready.
Good luck to everyone and hope this helps to clarify your doubts...
This is fantastic... I’m guessing you are only planning to soft land? With quarantine and everything how long will you be in Canada?