+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed Immigrants: Share Landing, Job hunt, house hunt & other experience

Nit4canada

May 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rocky272727 said:
Earlier it was not required but I would suggest you check with Air India Staff they will let you know.

The U.S. has suspended its policy of allowing travelers to pass through U.S. airports in transit to foreign destinations without a visa if they would otherwise require a visa to enter the U.S. This change has no effect upon Canadian citizens nor upon those who qualify to enter the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program.

Source: http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/transit_without_visa_usa.asp
Thanks rocky for the information. I changed the route via London Heathrow. Hope you are having a great time in Toronto and is settling down smoothly. Thanks

Sam2Canada

Jan 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
02/02/2010
VISA ISSUED...
05/05/2010
LANDED..........
12/09/2010
kchakus said:
Hello Friends,

Any IT professionals residing in Canada/US and looking for a job/change, please mail
birendra.14 @ gmail.com asap with you're resume and cover letter.

All the best!!!

Thanks
Chakra

Hi Chakra

I am an IT professional and will be landing on Sep-Oct. I am looking for IT openings.BTW who is this person you mentioned birendra.14 @ gmail.com? Is he a consultant?

Thanks
Sam

Sam2Canada

Jan 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
02/02/2010
VISA ISSUED...
05/05/2010
LANDED..........
12/09/2010
Friends
This a great from for all of us but one observations, we are having too many information in landing and immigration part..that dose not hars though..but we have very less information about Job hunt,market senario, employers expectation and job related challenges etc..it will be a great help if our Landed friends share their experience with us..

Thanks
Sam

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nit4canada said:
Thanks rocky for the information. I changed the route via London Heathrow. Hope you are having a great time in Toronto and is settling down smoothly. Thanks
Good man. Yah I am having good time here. Things are very easy and organised here. Have a safe landing.

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sam2Canada said:
Friends
This a great from for all of us but one observations, we are having too many information in landing and immigration part..that dose not hars though..but we have very less information about Job hunt,market senario, employers expectation and job related challenges etc..it will be a great help if our Landed friends share their experience with us..

Thanks
Sam
Agree, I have added my stints below your post.

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

These are my stints about the job hunting part here in Canada.

You should firstly get your credentials recognized in Canada so that they can be recognized by the Canadian Employers. Usually this services will cost you CAD 200 approx.

Now there will be lots of jobs. It depends upon individuals how do they want to settle down here.

My suggest, go slow and be open. Be ready to do survival jobs.

Make you resume 1 pager for survival jobs and add minimal information. I know many of us may be very professionally qualified but it is better to write what the employer wants to hear. What I mean is what ever the job requirements are, make your resume around that requirement and present yourself accordingly. Add key words like customer service etc in your resume as most of the big companies have automated resume scanning to save time and this way your resume might now even reach the HR.

Be very polite and focus on behavioral and situational questions and they will be first in the interview and technical later.

Also if you have got a choice in taking up the survival jobs then take the one closest to your home so that you can save up the travel cost.

Buses cost you CAD 3 for 3 hours total travel anywhere in the city and if it is change of bus then you can ask them for a transfer. It is very easy.

Rest I will keep updating more.

Best of luck everyone.

CBI

Feb 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Dec 2009
Doc's Request.
12-Feb-2010
AOR Received.
12 Feb 2010 & 21st May 2010
IELTS Request
7.0 Band (6th March 2010)
File Transfer...
17 Feb 2010
Med's Request
23 Dec 2010
Med's Done....
07 Jan 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23 Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
14 Mar 2011
LANDED..........
06 May 2011
To get our credential recognized, we need to get it done from WES (World Education Service)?

If yes can we do it before we land in Canada?

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CBI said:
To get our credential recognized, we need to get it done from WES (World Education Service)?

If yes can we do it before we land in Canada?
Yes it is one of the options and Toronto University is as well another option. Check the website for more information for getting it done when you are outside Canada

CBI

Feb 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Dec 2009
Doc's Request.
12-Feb-2010
AOR Received.
12 Feb 2010 & 21st May 2010
IELTS Request
7.0 Band (6th March 2010)
File Transfer...
17 Feb 2010
Med's Request
23 Dec 2010
Med's Done....
07 Jan 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23 Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
14 Mar 2011
LANDED..........
06 May 2011
Thanks for info brother.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
PR Cards Arrival

Just for info... Our PR Cards arrived on Friday (25-6-2010), 43rd day of landing. All came together (Self, Spouse & 2 kids').

Qorax

at9459

May 30, 2009
qorax said:
PR Cards Arrival

Just for info... Our PR Cards arrived on Friday (25-6-2010), 43rd day of landing. All came together (Self, Spouse & 2 kids').

Qorax
Do they take their own photographs for PR cards or they attach the photos given by us? because it will not be possible for me to stay that long (45 days) to receive the cards. we plan to come back after 3 weeks and the card will be collected by our relatives. what do you say?

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Job Stints

You might see lot of people working here in survival jobs, but I would like to mention that many people who come here start working part time as well as it fetches them extra money and extra money is good to get settled down soon.

Just my opinion as I have seen many people who have been here for last 1 year in good jobs still do part time.

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Job Stints for people who are interested in getting into banks, sales.

Do,

CIFC or CSC, google them

meena

Champion Member
Apr 20, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25th June'09
Doc's Request.
18th Sep'09
AOR Received.
22nd Jan'10
Med's Request
7th April
Med's Done....
1st May
Passport Req..
7th April'10
VISA ISSUED...
31st May'10
LANDED..........
Landed on 12th March'11
HI rocky,

u r doing good job by posting such a useful information.

I have planned my travel in Feb due to some personal issues.

I wanted to know about the Job Market there. Have u faced any Interview yet. Also what about the JObs. I mean have u strated working jobs anywhere.

I am really scared of how to find jobs there.

I am already applying on lot of Canadain Job Sites but not getting any responses.

All the Best for your Job Hunt.

Regards

Meena

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
meena said:
HI rocky,

u r doing good job by posting such a useful information.

I have planned my travel in Feb due to some personal issues.

I wanted to know about the Job Market there. Have u faced any Interview yet. Also what about the JObs. I mean have u strated working jobs anywhere.

I am really scared of how to find jobs there.

I am already applying on lot of Canadain Job Sites but not getting any responses.

All the Best for your Job Hunt.

Regards

Meena
Hi,

I am doing good. Yes I have given couple of interviews here. You need to have a Canadian address on your resume and Canadian style resume to get calls. Best of luck for your landing.

Tc