+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed Immigrants: Share Landing, Job hunt, house hunt & other experience

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadian citizen, newcomer and temporary residents 12 years of age or older may apply SIN

arjo1977

Star Member
Jan 30, 2010
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-08-2006
Doc's Request.
30-11-2009
Med's Request
30-11-2009
Med's Done....
26-12-2009
Passport Req..
30-11-2009
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2010
LANDED..........
25-06-2010 (Toronto)
hello friends,

I reached Toronto 3 days back from Dhaka Int'l airport via Dubai by Emirates. We (me & spouse) have completed the landing procedure with 'zero problem'.

I believe people who are going through the posts in this forum are definitely become well-prepared about any procedure ahead, and all those help us to complete the procedure at any stage of immigration. Thanks to all forum members, particularly Qorax, Rocky and other seniors who made the forum so effective and useful.

Now we are trying to settle down with our new life in Toronto. Awaiting for the applied PR card, SIN card and other necessary cards in the line of this process.

Pls wish me luck for the upcoming days.

ARJO

sushid0c

Star Member
Oct 25, 2007
rupesh said:
Hi All,

I landed on 29th June 2010 at Pearson International airport at 4.30 pm. Here is my experience & observation during journey from Ahmedabad to Toronto. I booked ticket in Air India AI 131 28th June 2010, which goes from Ahmedabad to BOM and BOM to London; from London, I had a connecting flight with ~6hrs stop. From Ahmedabad flight was delayed by 40 mins. During transit @ Bombay, I was fortunate to get a closure look of yuvaraj singh (Indian cricketer). From Bombay to London (AI131) was again delayed by 1.5 hrs, boarded flight at 2.30 a.m. (local), and reached London at 7.45 a.m. (Local). There have to stay for ~06 hrs as flights time was 1.15 pm during this period no facility provided by air-India. About service of Air India, I cannot say much because I do not have any experience of any Int'l flights, but comparing with domestic flights in India service was not good as Kingfisher gives more facility then Air India (Int'l flight).

From London flight, AI187 was on time and reached Toronto at 4.25 p.m. This time in flight wine, soft drink served and lunch.
Now the real things – Landing formality – At the point of entry in airport officers were checking all persons passport, PR card. Lady Officer asked me to show passport and just checking my face with picture in passport and by looking at visa stamp, she said OK go. Then I went to CBSA counter – there are many counters so you can go anywhere. I again went to woman Officer, she took my passport, COPR, and the form given in flight (actually in my flight they were not having enough forms on board so they arranged at Canada airport and when we were coming out from the flight at that time they gave the form). She asked me how many $ I am carrying and then she filled in the amount. After that, she told me to go in immigration section. I went to Officer and he asked me few question like what kind of job you will do here, Is there any change in my relationship after getting visa, then he asked me about POF and address and told me to show POF.. then he told me to sign on COPR and said you will get PR card in 4 to 6 weeks time. After that, I got few broachers and bag. This ends the formality of Immigration and I went to collect my baggage again the same problem you need $2 for trolley i got from the man who stands there or you can ask to a person who is giving the trolley he can arrange the change for you. After collecting baggage, I went to customs -- where we need to get the sign on goods to follow list. I prepared two docs accompanying and goods to follow (2 copies each). There was line for checking so one officer called me at his desk and asked to show papers and passport. After that he asked me to show proof of fund but when he show that i have already shown this to one of the officer then he said ok and asked about items list. I gave both the list ... he took only goods to follow list and checked and he was amazed and asked from where you got this information to keep snaps and excel sheet , he was asking that is this information available on cic.gc.ca?? I said no this is available in canadavisa.com forum where people exchange their experience about immigration matters. He stamped all my papers and gave me one copy back. Finally, I said thank you and he smiled... this ends the landing procedure day 29th June 2010.

30th June 2010

I went to Canada service centre – Scarborough and got the SIN number in 10 mins (I already had filled SIN form and required docs (COPR and Passport)) and officer told me to get this in 10 days. Visited dollarama store where most of the items are available between $1 and $2. People having low fund or want to save some money should buy product from this store and what I have seen is they are available at various places.

Planning to take Fido prepaid card (no contract) because I brought my GSM mobile from India and only Fido is in GSM technology (as far as I know).

Also visited park (Scarborough) at night where all residents of this area comes for playing different games like ice skating, swimming, basket ball etc.

1st July 2010

Now long weekend is there so will start searching job from Monday... meanwhile planning to open account with RBC. Any suggestion on this front is highly appreciated.

I am from IT field and can do job either in Software development or in Network field. So if any kind of help in this matter is highly appreciated.
Thanks and will update you about Job hunting experience.

Rupesh

congratulations rupesh

sushidoc

maria cecilia primero

Star Member
Jun 21, 2010
philippines
Visa Office......
manila philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-12-2009
Doc's Request.
25-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
File Transfer...
03-03-2010
arjo1977 said:
hello friends,

I reached Toronto 3 days back from Dhaka Int'l airport via Dubai by Emirates. We (me & spouse) have completed the landing procedure with 'zero problem'.

I believe people who are going through the posts in this forum are definitely become well-prepared about any procedure ahead, and all those help us to complete the procedure at any stage of immigration. Thanks to all forum members, particularly Qorax, Rocky and other seniors who made the forum so effective and useful.

Now we are trying to settle down with our new life in Toronto. Awaiting for the applied PR card, SIN card and other necessary cards in the line of this process.

Pls wish me luck for the upcoming days.

ARJO

good luck!pls share ur experiences!

chefumang

Star Member
Jan 14, 2009
can someone please put a light on getting health insurance card in canada. how long it takes and what all things they need for newly landed immigrant.

May 16, 2010
Mumbai
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2009
Doc's Request.
04-11-2009
Med's Request
25-02-2010
Med's Done....
29-03-2010,Medical furtherance request on 14 april 10, sumitted on 1st June10
Interview........
waived off
Passport Req..
25-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
23rd June 2010
Dear seniors

Please share information on following queries.

1)Emigration check required or not....(whether this is required or not..)

2)How much time they take at Mumbai International airport... ( is it normal 2 hours or should you suggest reaching 4 hours before flight??

3)How much lagguage can we carry...(in weight as well number of suitcase)

4)Can somebody share any FORMAT of "goods to carry" & "goods to follow" LIST. please suggest whether to prepare lists of goods to carry with generic names like clothes, shoes etc or need to prepare in detail like number of shoes pair 5, jeans, jackets etc...

5) Is it advisable to carry kicthen crokery & utensiles to carry also....(how expensive these items to buy there??)

Please share information on above queries.

Thanks & regards

Flying to toronto on 30th July....

Appan

Jun 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Grace of God
Hi Rupesh

Pls. keep update us about your exprnc on Job Availablity for IT-Devlpng,N/W,Consultancy,Hrdwre Maintnce.

Best Wishes

maverick_stallion

Feb 18, 2010
maverick_stallion said:
Dear Rocky,

Since you have landed can you pl guide me whether we should also apply to placement consultants in respective province as they donot charge anything as per govt guide lines

...will it help
....have you tried this way to finding jobs
...are there any other angles involved like they donot entertain persons having qualif /exp other than canadian
....will they not take up our cases at all
...can they provide us any career counselling
....do they have any prescreening of the applicants like a informal interview

Can you pl throw some more light on the above topics and discuss them in detail...

Hi there Rocky,

ne tips on the above pl help.... ;)

penpal

Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0111/1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Planning in Autumn of 2010
Neel09 said:
Anushauc,

Good job!!! I was kinda getting bored with same landing experience stories. I am happy that you are thinking one step more. But too bad i will not be going to Toronto. If anyone willing to start this kind of thread for people who are willing to settle in Calgary i am up for it. I landed in Alberta and came back to US and will be moving to Calgary shortly. If anyone newly landed in Calgary looking for roommates also post it here. You can post it in this current thread too too if you do not want to start a new thread. I am also working towards to get my engineering license in Alberta. So if anyone in same boat we can discuss. Remember if you in contact with each other in same city or live as roommates for time being not only u will not feel lonely in a new country, you can also help each other with advices. Most people get jobs in North America through networks.
Hi Neel,

I was also on the lookout for a network for immigrants landing in Calgary.I am for it,but would be landing somewhere end of Sep'10.Anyhow let's keep up the zeal and spirit for future networking.I am a chartered accountant currently in dubai.

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can only repeat what was said to me by an Iranian engineer who immigrated to Toronto and had tried some various services open to new immigrants supposedly helping to find a job, Canadianize your CV etc. He said that they seemed to care mostly about getting his SIN so they could charge the government for their services provided to him and that they had not helped him find a job or shown him anything but what was obvious to him already.

While you are looking for a job and do not have your day full, you might as well try one but don't count on them to do anything for you. Use them as a supplement while you do your own work. You can google Canadian CV formats to change your CV accordingly. You can research what you should say in an interview. You should also research how people are dressed and how they cut their hair etc. in the places you want to work so you can look like you fit in when you go for a job interview.

I remember seeing an interview with a new immigrant who was complaining about his problems finding a job and it was obvious just from looking at him that he didn't fit in. His haircut and clothes were definitely from another world and that kind of thing, even if you might think it's not important, can give the employer the idea that his skills are not up to speed for Canada either.

oceana

Star Member
May 12, 2009
Boljet said:
My people,
Is SIN card for adults alone or minors too will get theirs

Boljet
Adults and children get SIN numbers, and the card follows in the mail btw 5-10days.

sahil303

Jun 22, 2010
hello guys

i m planing to land in oct.2010 but i m worried about that where i should settle , which is the best place there for new comers

anybody there who can suggest me ??????

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
read this and you will have some idea of some of the best place in canada

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/canadas-best-place-to-live-2010-named-t40469.0.html