+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

JUNE 2021 *Outland* Spousal Sponsorship

rcytsang

Aug 30, 2021
Thanks for your reply.
I sent to the SYDNEY office. I checked the excel progress file that 85% cases rcvd. the AOR. It supposes not take long to process the SA and AOR #. etc.. if the IRCC rcvd. the file.
We called the client support center several times and sent some web enquiries. Finally, they found my application and started processing. I got my application no. at least. More than 5 months for the AOR comes out.

Last edited:
Reactions: zuhkey

Huntingwhale

Star Member
Jun 5, 2021
Thanks
Any idea why they asked for PCC again as it was already submitted?
The original PCC we included was from my wife's birth country. When we submitted our application, we hadn't yet lived together for the 6 month threshold to send a PCC for where we live currently. I had a feeling they would ask for it down the road, so that's the reason for the request.

Also got our pre-arrival letter today. Happy we're seeing our file move forward bit by bit.

Reactions: akshaykhurana

akshaykhurana

Star Member
Mar 9, 2018
The original PCC we included was from my wife's birth country. When we submitted our application, we hadn't yet lived together for the 6 month threshold to send a PCC for where we live currently. I had a feeling they would ask for it down the road, so that's the reason for the request.

Also got our pre-arrival letter today. Happy we're seeing our file move forward bit by bit.
Congrats man
PPR is just around the corner

Reactions: Huntingwhale

AutumnSkies

May 31, 2019
Does AOR take this long? This is weird...You applied since June...What will happen to me then...My application was received November 9th..
This is what is so mind boggling about IRCC. It took 141 days for this person JUST to receive AOR1.

To put that in perspective, it took 109 days to process my husband’s entire application from the day it went out in the mail to COPR. (AOR1 took a month for us to receive.)

It took IRCC longer just to acknowledge this person’s application than to do a whole application. This person is also not a 2020 applicant but 2021 where we’ve gotten past most of the initial Covid delays.

Why? Why does this happen? How does this happen? If there was a logical explanation for it, why is that not communicated to the public? If it was, there would be less people holding up the phone lines and taking up their time. Less stress and less fear. I really do think they owe it to the public to explain how scenarios like this can happen.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
This is what is so mind boggling about IRCC. It took 141 days for this person JUST to receive AOR1.

To put that in perspective, it took 109 days to process my husband’s entire application from the day it went out in the mail to COPR. (AOR1 took a month for us to receive.)

It took IRCC longer just to acknowledge this person’s application than to do a whole application. This person is also not a 2020 applicant but 2021 where we’ve gotten past most of the initial Covid delays.

Why? Why does this happen? How does this happen? If there was a logical explanation for it, why is that not communicated to the public? If it was, there would be less people holding up the phone lines and taking up their time. Less stress and less fear. I really do think they owe it to the public to explain how scenarios like this can happen.
Can only guess (and not a defence) but seems some similarly held up at social assistance check. A couple provinces were particularly slow.

But why in some cases and not others, no idea.

Jojosa

Aug 25, 2021
AOR Received.
05-11-2021
I also think a bit more communication on their side would save them a ton of inquiries. I'm sure there are many areas of improvement, but two stand out for me:

First, there should be a true "Acknowledgment of Receipt" where they do just that: acknowledge they received the application. The AOR of today is an acknowledgement the application is complete, sometimes months after they actually received it - like my case. They even create a "temporary file number" during this time. Once an agent creates an file on the system and this temporary number is issued, an email should be sent - "we've received your application, now please wait for us to verify it is complete." I am sure that would take out a non-trivial amount of calls.

Second, include notes from the agent on the linked account portal. I don't know what they do but simple things like: "Verifying no social assistance with BC gov't", "Translated documents sent for verification", "Medicals/ police sent for review"... That would likely take out another big chunk of calls. I know there are templated stages in the portal, but actual notes are a sure signal things are moving.

Example, we have not received any communication since the AOR in Nov 5 while most folks got medical requests with a few days than the AOR, sometimes before it. Reading a "checking for X..." would avoid this mystery on our application process.

I'm scratching my head on what can be delaying our application. I would have assumed our profile is solid: I'm Canadian; married and living together for 10 years, kids, stable finances; employed; we own our Canadian home... so, I was thinking "yep, surely we'll be on the fast-track". Buuuut... here we are, almost 6 months after our application, a couple of months from having to start planning the move (kids' school related) and only an AOR.

:rolleyes:

Corbybravo

Aug 12, 2021
Manila
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila Visa Office
App. Filed.......
06-21-2021
AOR Received.
08-19-2021
File Transfer...
20-09-2021
Med's Request
20-09-2021
Med's Done....
04-10-2021
Passport Req..
05-04-2022
VISA ISSUED...
04-12-2022
Is there any document/authority that can prove that the sponsor has not availed social assistance/EI?
Our file is undergoing social assistance check, but there has been no movement on the file since more than 2 months now. So we are looking to proactively submit some proof that we've not availed any social assistance
Hi, I'm just curious how did you found out that your application is undergoing social assistance check? My husband is under EI when we applied but we already received sponsor approval last August. I'm done with bio and medical and it's been more than a month since the last update (Medical Passed).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, I'm just curious how did you found out that your application is undergoing social assistance check? My husband is under EI when we applied but we already received sponsor approval last August. I'm done with bio and medical and it's been more than a month since the last update (Medical Passed).
EI is not considered social assistance.

Corbybravo

Aug 12, 2021
Manila
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila Visa Office
App. Filed.......
06-21-2021
AOR Received.
08-19-2021
File Transfer...
20-09-2021
Med's Request
20-09-2021
Med's Done....
04-10-2021
Passport Req..
05-04-2022
VISA ISSUED...
04-12-2022
EI is not considered social assistance.
Ah yes, we read about that, that's why my husband already received the Sponsor approval last August. I'm just curious how Avani15 found out that their application is undergoing social assistance check?

AutumnSkies

May 31, 2019
I also think a bit more communication on their side would save them a ton of inquiries. I'm sure there are many areas of improvement, but two stand out for me:

First, there should be a true "Acknowledgment of Receipt" where they do just that: acknowledge they received the application. The AOR of today is an acknowledgement the application is complete, sometimes months after they actually received it - like my case. They even create a "temporary file number" during this time. Once an agent creates an file on the system and this temporary number is issued, an email should be sent - "we've received your application, now please wait for us to verify it is complete." I am sure that would take out a non-trivial amount of calls.

Second, include notes from the agent on the linked account portal. I don't know what they do but simple things like: "Verifying no social assistance with BC gov't", "Translated documents sent for verification", "Medicals/ police sent for review"... That would likely take out another big chunk of calls. I know there are templated stages in the portal, but actual notes are a sure signal things are moving.

Example, we have not received any communication since the AOR in Nov 5 while most folks got medical requests with a few days than the AOR, sometimes before it. Reading a "checking for X..." would avoid this mystery on our application process.

I'm scratching my head on what can be delaying our application. I would have assumed our profile is solid: I'm Canadian; married and living together for 10 years, kids, stable finances; employed; we own our Canadian home... so, I was thinking "yep, surely we'll be on the fast-track". Buuuut... here we are, almost 6 months after our application, a couple of months from having to start planning the move (kids' school related) and only an AOR.

Based off the info you gave, yours is a perfect example of the kind of case that just boggles my mind. I definitely agree there should be more communication in the early stages. That would clear up a lot of wasted time on both ends.

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021

Good ideas! Send them to IRCC as suggestions.

AutumnSkies

May 31, 2019
Can only guess (and not a defence) but seems some similarly held up at social assistance check. A couple provinces were particularly slow.

But why in some cases and not others, no idea.
Interesting. I had always just assumed the social assistance check happens during the process to confirm the sponsor is eligible and not during the initial check that the application is complete. Good to know!

jacam

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019

The tracking sheet has many examples like this and from what I have seen there is no pattern to it. From my experience it all comes down to if the agent who first reviews the file markets anything for review. If they mark anything for review the application will sit for a good couple months before it is checked.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
First, there should be a true "Acknowledgment of Receipt" where they do just that: acknowledge they received the application.
I believe this is now done with the online apps, which hints where this will go - all apps will go online (or those who apply by post will have 'limited functionality.')

In fact this probably pretty much tells us how this is likely to develop - as they transition to a process that is designed around the electronic versions, whatever functionality is needed will be added there.

Not sure that this is overall true - the bolded part I mean, the claim that 'more information will reduce the volume of calls.' I suspect it's not true - and quite possibly the reverse, that the more information provided, the more calls/inquiries it generates. (And those would have additional costs unless they find a way to automate handling for the easy stuff and separate out the easy from the hard/important).

You can often see that here: no matter how much information there is about how long a given step might take, there are still enormous numbers of inqiuries (here) about 'what next?' or 'is something wrong?' even when there is massive amounts of easy-to-find info that already answers those questions. (Side note: this forum probably saves the government a tonne of money)

If I'm right, it doesn't mean that more information should not be provided - but that attempts to justify it on a pure cost basis (as you've done here) may be the wrong approach.

What seems to be lacking overall is a way for the call centre/web forms/customer inquiries to a) handle the routine inquiries simply and efficiently; b) separate out and route the non-routine (things that need actual work done on them) to a human being or the right office; and c) use that system to solve problems with files/apps (and here I mean solve from the perspective of both clients and IRCC - which is good for IRCC because reduces timelines if done right.[A given in this type of system is also need a system to kick the seriously problematic cases - the ones that can only be resolved with lots of lots of extra time and probalby lawyers - to a different manual track.]

Examples:
a) people send in webforms to change their addresses and the system never reflects them. Changing addresses should be a routine online process - and feed directly into the file. This causes huge delays.

c) Take for example someone gets a passport request to submit passport abroad, and now they're in Canada. Right now uncertain delay of potentially months. (Actually most would be caught if changes of address were processed properly). Or some other similarly non-critical problem - can be resolved by a human with perhaps 15 mins of checks and new correspondence. Right now, responding even when IRCC asks for it doesn't necessarily get to the right desk and there's no way of knowing.

Anyway, sorry for side discussion.

yp098

Nov 22, 2021
Application sent : May 25th
Application received : June 2nd
Outland Application
spouse is in India
No update yet
No AOR
sent web form : no reply
No answer from the contact center
Anyone else is in the same boat?