+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Roxham road still open?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
It's just taking forever. He is almost 2. We are still waiting for his proof of citizenship. Can't get a passport without that according to the government.
10months is processing time for outside of Canada and United States, but it may take longer than that. I know it is frastruating to be separated by lovely one, i dont understand why someone would sit with minor’s file for 10months, if at all it doesnt even need background or medical screening…

Frozen11

May 3, 2021
When did you apply for spousal sponsorship if you were common law.
I never did..the plan was to get my son's citizenship papers and passport..and then get my partner a visitor visa to come here while we work on the other things. If we need to extend the visa, we can extend it. I have given my MP and MPP the authorization to look into the file.

Neither of us have any criminality. No red flags. With the ever-evolving situation in Colombia, I want them out of there!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I never did..the plan was to get my son's citizenship papers and passport..and then get my partner a visitor visa to come here while we work on the other things. If we need to extend the visa, we can extend it. I have given my MP and MPP the authorization to look into the file.

Neither of us have any criminality. No red flags. With the ever-evolving situation in Colombia, I want them out of there!
Ok. You could have applied for sponsorship right after the birth or even before. You should apply now.

Frozen11

May 3, 2021
Yah..that is what we are waiting for. I was told that I could apply for a "temp passport" but was told that I needed registration prior to applying.

I guess I am just looking for the easiest way to get this done. My guess is...other than Roxham Road, which I really don't want to do, the best option is to get my sons docs straightened out and then get my partners visitor visa. I want them here for Christmas. My son has three older brothers, two of whom came down to Colombia to meet their little brother when he was 7 months old. But they mis seeing him and I think it would be important for their little brother to be around them. Plus our little guy was born with 1 kidney..so if anything were to happen, it might make it easier to look after it here.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Yah..that is what we are waiting for. I was told that I could apply for a "temp passport" but was told that I needed registration prior to applying.

I guess I am just looking for the easiest way to get this done. My guess is...other than Roxham Road, which I really don't want to do, the best option is to get my sons docs straightened out and then get my partners visitor visa. I want them here for Christmas. My son has three older brothers, two of whom came down to Colombia to meet their little brother when he was 7 months old. But they mis seeing him and I think it would be important for their little brother to be around them. Plus our little guy was born with 1 kidney..so if anything were to happen, it might make it easier to look after it here.
The other options are not viable, so best is to wait for his certificate of registration approved. Looking at cost and paperwork involved for your spouse, i would apply spousal sponsorship at the same time… but its up to you. You would at ease if she is PR as well, from medical issues, other programs etc

Frozen11

May 3, 2021
I mean we can, technically, extend a Visitor's Visa up to 6 times. I would assume that the gov't would be mindful of the situation when determining to extend. Wouldn't they? They wouldn't want to separate a toddler from his mother now would they? Or would they?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I mean we can, technically, extend a Visitor's Visa up to 6 times. I would assume that the gov't would be mindful of the situation when determining to extend. Wouldn't they? They wouldn't want to separate a toddler from his mother now would they? Or would they?
They even deported families in two different countries. Why opting visitors visa if she is eligible for permanent resident through sponsorship? You can apply both if you wish to

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It isn’t about separating a child from their mother it is the fact that your partner is not a visitor so applying for a TRV when not planning on visiting but living in Canada is grounds for rejection. You keep on talking about extending a TRV so assume she is not coming to Canada on a short vacation. Partners usually can’t extend visits forever especially if you are already common law and qualify for sponsorship. They want to see that you have taken steps to sponsor your partner or that you are visiting until you meet the 1 year needed for common law (for other couples) and then apply for sponsorship. You are making a big error not sponsoring your common law partner expecting that they will easily get a TRV and if they somehow manage to get a TRV that they’ll be able to keep on extending their stay in Canada as a visitors when they are permanently living in Canada.

Claiming asylum has significant consequences even if approved so had she gone through Roxham road and claimed asylum she would have gone through a long and expensive process with no guarantees about being able to remain in Canada but potential limitations about returning to Colombia, creating difficulty for future family to come to Canada to visit, study or work, potential difficulties travelling, working or studying abroad for your whole family even spouse and children), etc.

Reactions: Simba112

Indeed

Jul 24, 2023
Can an international student in the United kingdom visit Canada from UK on a valid visit visa and seek asylum after attending conference

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can an international student in the United kingdom visit Canada from UK on a valid visit visa and seek asylum after attending conference
You can. IRCC may question why you did not claim asylum in the UK if you are truly at risk. So you need to be prepared that this may weaken your claim.

Indeed

Jul 24, 2023
Thank you so much for your response . I have been reasoning on coming to Canada from UK but I thought as much of what you thought. But can I do it this way coming to Canada from UK as an international student to attend a conference then after the conference I will go to the US border and come back and see asylum.