Is Roxham road still open?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Reactions: Buletruck

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I just saw the post on Canada government website, which announced it is closed from now on. Anybody know about the current situation? Thanks!

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/campaigns/irregular-border-crossings-asylum/asylum-seekers.html
it closed at midnight. Looks like they have closed the loophole regarding crossing at any unregulated point of the border. Anyone crossing outside of a designated point of entry will fall under the Safe Third Party agreement as of today.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Do you have family in Canada to make a claim at a land border? If not, you will be returned to the US. RCMP will return anyone to the US who arrive at Roxham. Must say that it was implemented quickly given it was just announced two days ago.

Alice778

Feb 22, 2023
No.I don't have any family members in Canada, just a couple of friends there. It is such a bad news for me as I planned to do it in next month.
I am thinking to make claim in US.but I am poor and sick,and deparately need money aid,which US government does not provide for asylum seekers. Also I know nobody in US. I don't know how I am going to survive there.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No.I don't have any family members in Canada, just a couple of friends there. It is such a bad news for me as I planned to do it in next month.
I am thinking to make claim in US.but I am poor and sick,and deparately need money aid,which US government does not provide for asylum seekers. Also I know nobody in US. I don't know how I am going to survive there.
You will be refused entry to Canada as the border is closed. You can make a claim in the US. How were you going to survive in Canada? Canada doesn’t give you money.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
… and you haven’t mentioned anything in regards to being in a situation that you’d qualify for asylum . Being ill & having financial issues isn’t basis for a claim . That’s economic.
And you had mentioned you hold a visa for the United States, you’d have been interviewed showing you have the finances , job , to visit the United States

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
Yes closed. If you were planning on flying to the US the option remains to claim asylum in the US. If you have family living in Canada you can claim asylum at a legal border.
Good morning,
I was wondering the family mean is just siblings and parents or for example my cousin's son is family too?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do you have family in Canada to make a claim at a land border? If not, you will be returned to the US. RCMP will return anyone to the US who arrive at Roxham. Must say that it was implemented quickly given it was just announced two days ago.
It had to be implemented quickly or there would have been a huge rush to the border until closed. I am sure there was still one since news got out 24hr+ in advance. Many aren’t connected to the news but assume many cities (like NYC) were telling people they needed to go to Canada now if they wanted to go and handing out lots of free bus tickets.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have you spoken to an immigration. Lawyer to see if you have a case for asylum? As previously noted being poor is not a reason for asylum.

Reactions: itzdrmac

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Good morning,
I was wondering the family mean is just siblings and parents or for example my cousin's son is family too?
So a second or third cousin? No.

The Safe Third Country Agreement recognizes a family member as the following:

• spouse
  • legal guardian
  • child
  • father or mother
  • sister or brother
  • grandfather or grandmother
  • grandchild
  • uncle or aunt
  • nephew or niece
  • common-law partner