First Name: ABC<Space>BCD<Space>CDE
Last Name: XYZ

Open Work Permit
First Name: <Blank>
Last Name: ABC<Space>BCD<Space>CDE

Any idea what to do next?

Rubyrenes88-2019

Apr 4, 2019
I have received my OWP last month, and my 6 months on Visitor visa expire in may.

1. If I exit country, can I come back on same visitor visa or convert my visitor visa into TRV and then leave country?

2. Do I have to extend my stay by using the IRCC forms imm5708e?

I have check online eligibility and it provides me options in end to apply for new OWP or Renew VISA.

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I have received my OWP last month, and my 6 months on Visitor visa expire in may.

1. If I exit country, can I come back on same visitor visa or convert my visitor visa into TRV and then leave country?

2. Do I have to extend my stay by using the IRCC forms imm5708e?

I have check online eligibility and it provides me options in end to apply for new OWP or Renew VISA.
A visitor visa is TRV. When you say your visa has expired do you mean the counterfoils of your status?

Rubyrenes88-2019

Apr 4, 2019
A visitor visa is TRV. When you say your visa has expired do you mean the counterfoils of your status?
Initially when I came to Canada after Marriage (DEC 2018), I was on Visitor Visa. and in such case I am allowed to be in country for a continuous period of 6 months. Now that I have an Open Work Permit and awaiting approval of my Spousal PR, do I need to inform CIC that I will be staying > 6 months continuously in canada? and How?

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Initially when I came to Canada after Marriage (DEC 2018), I was on Visitor Visa. and in such case I am allowed to be in country for a continuous period of 6 months. Now that I have an Open Work Permit and awaiting approval of my Spousal PR, do I need to inform CIC that I will be staying > 6 months continuously in canada? and How?
No, the OWP gives you legal status.

But If you are planning to leave Canada and re enter, you should have a valid visa (The counterfoil they put in your passport).

You were allowed to stay for 6 months (visitor status). How long did they give you the TRV for... Was it multiple entry (again the counterfoil in your passport)? If it was then you dont have to apply for another TRV when you leave Canada, you can use the same to Re-enter.

Last edited:

Rubyrenes88-2019

Apr 4, 2019
No, the OWP gives you legal status.

But If you are planning to leave Canada and re enter, you should have a valid visa (The counterfoil they put in your passport).

You were allowed to stay for 6 months (visitor status). How long did they give you the TRV for... Was it multiple entry (again the counterfoil in your passport)? If it was then you dont have to apply for another TRV when you leave Canada, you can use the same to Re-enter.
Ok, so I am assuming that the couterfoil you say of is nothing but the Visa sticker on my passport, Thats valid until 2023, # Entries = Multiple so I should be good.

However, when I see carefully, Category is V-1 or Visitor, thats my question - say I get a job in AUG 2019, and I plan to exit country and will be returning as visitor say DEC 2019 (PR in process). Contradicts the fact that I already have OWP and may already have job or working when I re-enter.

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Ok, so I am assuming that the couterfoil you say of is nothing but the Visa sticker on my passport, Thats valid until 2023, # Entries = Multiple so I should be good.

However, when I see carefully, Category is V-1 or Visitor, thats my question - say I get a job in AUG 2019, and I plan to exit country and will be returning as visitor say DEC 2019 (PR in process). Contradicts the fact that I already have OWP and may already have job or working when I re-enter.
That is not an issue. It is actually a requirement for you to have the visa if you plan to leave and re enter because a work permit is not a visa: See here:

Leaving and returning to Canada
If you leave Canada while your work permit is still valid and return to continue working, the border services officer will re-assess your admissibility each time you enter Canada.

If you are still admissible, the border services officer will allow you to re-enter Canada with your original work permit.
The work permit states “This does not authorize re-entry.” This means the permit allows you to work in Canada after you have been legally admitted. The work permit is not:
  • a visa or passport that will allow you entry to Canada, or
  • a guarantee of your re-entry to Canada.
You should however be cautious about leaving with an ongoing inland application, 30 days can be seen as too long. If for any reasons you are denied entry, your inland application will be cancelled, and you will have to apply out-land.

Rubyrenes88-2019

Apr 4, 2019
That is not an issue. It is actually a requirement for you to have the visa if you plan to leave and re enter because a work permit is not a visa: See here:

Leaving and returning to Canada
If you leave Canada while your work permit is still valid and return to continue working, the border services officer will re-assess your admissibility each time you enter Canada.

If you are still admissible, the border services officer will allow you to re-enter Canada with your original work permit.
The work permit states “This does not authorize re-entry.” This means the permit allows you to work in Canada after you have been legally admitted. The work permit is not:
  • a visa or passport that will allow you entry to Canada, or
  • a guarantee of your re-entry to Canada.
You should however be cautious about leaving with an ongoing inland application, 30 days can be seen as too long. If for any reasons you are denied entry, your inland application will be cancelled, and you will have to apply out-land.
Thanks, got it.....

Reactions: Eveslm

hquiseo

Mar 28, 2019
Hi, I need some advice please.
My current wife (legally married to me and have a child already born on march 2019) will apply for Inland sponsorship for me here in Canada, we been living since march of 2017, Marriage breakdown from ex-wife started on 2015 , I am divorce from previous wife who never came to Canada ever since, divorce was granted on December of 2018 . As far as I know my ex wife tried to apply for open work permit made outside Canada and visitors visa for my son on October 2017 because I was a skilled worker that time but it was refused as per my sister.

Would my ex spouse work permit application and my son's visitors visa application at that time will affect my inland sponsorship? knowing that I have already a common law on march 2017, will the CIC examine my ex spouse and son in respect to our inland spousal sponsorship?

Would CIC consider my son as non accompanying as my ex spouse is pretty sure will not cooperate with an medical for my son, if yes, what documents should i present then?

Please thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Rekhapatel

Feb 15, 2019
Is anyone from the Jan applicates yet to receive OWP.? I'm getting so anxious..I haven't heard anything after receiving the AOR since 7th March.

corincan

Star Member
Apr 2, 2019
Thats my first hurdle yeah :( cant find the forms :(
I know you weren't asking me for this, but I can help you out a bit! The forms were NOT easy to find on the Quebec website in the least. This is the link to the main page with the basic info for you.
https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/family-reunification/apply/index.html

Then the forms you need can be found at this page:
https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/family-reunification/apply/undertaking-application/index.html

If you scroll down to the bottom, you have to chose Kit A for sponsoring your spouse/common law partner. Here (if you just want the forms)
https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/forms/search-title/undertaking-application/kit-a.html

Heads up, all the forms are in French, and need to be filled out in French too. I just want to know how long after you received your AOR did you get the form to apply for the CSQ? I got my AOR last week and just wanted to know the time frame for it!
Hope I helped a little.

Reactions: IamJems

Esmee178

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
Question to OWP holders:
How's it going with finding a job? Is it easy to find a job with a foreign diploma? Did you get it translated?

Rekhapatel

Feb 15, 2019
Hi,

Yes i received my WP approval in email and received the original document in mail.
Congratulations! So we're you able to link it before getting the email? Because I called CIC twice since I'm not able to link the OWP after receiving the pr aor for a month now.. they said you can't link before you get a email. Also, what was your timeline?