+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

**INLAND SPOUSE SPONSORSHIP JANUARY 2019**

Wemc

Mar 21, 2019
Question to OWP holders:
How's it going with finding a job? Is it easy to find a job with a foreign diploma? Did you get it translated?
In my opinion, it depends on your field, your resume, and the area you're moving to.
I've worked in an office management / accounts payable / administrative type setting full time at the same job for 10 years in addition to a part time career in emergency medicine. I did not bring my medical licensures to Canada, and opted to go the administrative route. I only have a 2 year diploma, already in English so no translation needed.
My work permit was approved online March 25, I started sending out my resumes immediately, had an interview with a company the 28th, got my permit in the mail the 29th, received a job offer April 2nd. I start work the 15th. The job is comparable to what I did prior to moving.

I think my process was a fast one. I feel like had I moved my licenses over and went back into the medical field, it would have taken longer.

Esmee178

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
In my opinion, it depends on your field, your resume, and the area you're moving to.
I've worked in an office management / accounts payable / administrative type setting full time at the same job for 10 years in addition to a part time career in emergency medicine. I did not bring my medical licensures to Canada, and opted to go the administrative route. I only have a 2 year diploma, already in English so no translation needed.
My work permit was approved online March 25, I started sending out my resumes immediately, had an interview with a company the 28th, got my permit in the mail the 29th, received a job offer April 2nd. I start work the 15th. The job is comparable to what I did prior to moving.

I think my process was a fast one. I feel like had I moved my licenses over and went back into the medical field, it would have taken longer.
Oh that's awesome! Congrats! I have a diploma in that exact field haha. Unfortunately not in English but I got an English translation from a government website. The process of gathering all documents and getting them officially translated and assessed is a long and expensive. Since I don't have as much work experience as you do I'm expecting it will be pretty hard for me to find a job but I'm not really in a rush.

Silver_Fox

Mar 30, 2019
Yes - it is moving! Medical exam requested today!

Here is the stats:
Inland spousal sponsorship application mailed Jan 27, 2019
Application received Jan 31, 2019
AOR March 19, 2019
E-mail confirming that OWP is approved March 28, 2019 (says it will come in the mail in 6 weeks)
OWP received in the mail April 4, 2019.
Medical request April 8, 2019.
Medical exam scheduled April 9, 2019.

Woo-hoo!

Wemc

Mar 21, 2019
Oh that's awesome! Congrats! I have a diploma in that exact field haha. Unfortunately not in English but I got an English translation from a government website. The process of gathering all documents and getting them officially translated and assessed is a long and expensive. Since I don't have as much work experience as you do I'm expecting it will be pretty hard for me to find a job but I'm not really in a rush.
I have no idea what the translation process is. I had an equivalency of US to Canada credentials of mine done though, just in case. The company that I'm going to work for didn't care about my diploma. I imagine a lot of actual companies won't care all that much for your entry level to mid tier positions. Executive levels or more specialized areas (I'm thinking HR, doctors, engineers, etc) you'd likely need the translations. Jobs within government sectors likely would as well.

I feel that a lot of it is how you present yourself. Have a well written resume AND cover letter. Be articulate. My cover letters were up front, relevant, and to the point. Something along the lines of: "Good afternoon. I found your position for XYZ via [ LinkedIn / Job Bank / Indeed / Wherever ] and would like to submit my resume and cover letter for consideration. I recently moved to Canada and am in the process of going through permanent residency, but do have an open work permit and social insurance number. Prior to moving, I was an ABC for X years at YZ Company. During my tenure, I specialized in blah blah blah and feel that these skills could be an asset to your company, and I would love the ability to explore open opportunities you have available. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Thank you for your time, and good luck in your hiring process."
For each cover letter, I highlighted the most relevant skills from my old position to best suit whatever position/company I was applying for. I was up front about the PR because let's face it, some companies flat out don't want to take the risk of having a foreign worker. And that's okay. But if they don't want to take that risk, I don't want to waste my time by finding that out in an interview and get my hopes up, ya know?

On thing I've noticed, at least in SK, is that unless it's a pressing matter, it might take a while to get a call back. It could also be because there are so many people applying for these types of positions. (Perhaps I just got lucky.) Not having 10 years under your belt at the same job might not be a bad thing either... I feel like I didn't get a call back from some places because I may be seen as "over qualified." That being said, also don't be afraid to take a pay cut from previous positions. For me, I could have gone without a job for a while longer, but I'm ridiclously bored and need something to do. The job I took is a little less in pay than what I was making at my old job, however, is a pretty good starting pay for the type of position that it is, and the company is offering a path for growth as well. Take those things into account. And once you do start your job application process, don't feel the necessity to take the first job that comes along if you think you wouldn't enjoy it.

Regardless, good luck. Since I got all of this out of the way, my latest ventures have revolved around if it's worth it to import my car or not, and how exactly to go about it since it's already here. No one locally seems to know lol

IamJems

Star Member
Jul 27, 2016
I know you weren't asking me for this, but I can help you out a bit! The forms were NOT easy to find on the Quebec website in the least. This is the link to the main page with the basic info for you.
https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/family-reunification/apply/index.html

Then the forms you need can be found at this page:
https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/family-reunification/apply/undertaking-application/index.html

If you scroll down to the bottom, you have to chose Kit A for sponsoring your spouse/common law partner. Here (if you just want the forms)
https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/forms/search-title/undertaking-application/kit-a.html

Heads up, all the forms are in French, and need to be filled out in French too. I just want to know how long after you received your AOR did you get the form to apply for the CSQ? I got my AOR last week and just wanted to know the time frame for it!
Hope I helped a little.
Thank you so much! CSQ came a few days after AOR, so expect it soon!

Esmee178

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
I have no idea what the translation process is. I had an equivalency of US to Canada credentials of mine done though, just in case. The company that I'm going to work for didn't care about my diploma. I imagine a lot of actual companies won't care all that much for your entry level to mid tier positions. Executive levels or more specialized areas (I'm thinking HR, doctors, engineers, etc) you'd likely need the translations. Jobs within government sectors likely would as well.

I feel that a lot of it is how you present yourself. Have a well written resume AND cover letter. Be articulate. My cover letters were up front, relevant, and to the point. Something along the lines of: "Good afternoon. I found your position for XYZ via [ LinkedIn / Job Bank / Indeed / Wherever ] and would like to submit my resume and cover letter for consideration. I recently moved to Canada and am in the process of going through permanent residency, but do have an open work permit and social insurance number. Prior to moving, I was an ABC for X years at YZ Company. During my tenure, I specialized in blah blah blah and feel that these skills could be an asset to your company, and I would love the ability to explore open opportunities you have available. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Thank you for your time, and good luck in your hiring process."
For each cover letter, I highlighted the most relevant skills from my old position to best suit whatever position/company I was applying for. I was up front about the PR because let's face it, some companies flat out don't want to take the risk of having a foreign worker. And that's okay. But if they don't want to take that risk, I don't want to waste my time by finding that out in an interview and get my hopes up, ya know?

On thing I've noticed, at least in SK, is that unless it's a pressing matter, it might take a while to get a call back. It could also be because there are so many people applying for these types of positions. (Perhaps I just got lucky.) Not having 10 years under your belt at the same job might not be a bad thing either... I feel like I didn't get a call back from some places because I may be seen as "over qualified." That being said, also don't be afraid to take a pay cut from previous positions. For me, I could have gone without a job for a while longer, but I'm ridiclously bored and need something to do. The job I took is a little less in pay than what I was making at my old job, however, is a pretty good starting pay for the type of position that it is, and the company is offering a path for growth as well. Take those things into account. And once you do start your job application process, don't feel the necessity to take the first job that comes along if you think you wouldn't enjoy it.

Regardless, good luck. Since I got all of this out of the way, my latest ventures have revolved around if it's worth it to import my car or not, and how exactly to go about it since it's already here. No one locally seems to know lol
Thank you so much for all this info ^^! You couldnt be more helpful haha.

The whole school system is a lot different here and they ask for documents I might not be able to get, In the Netherlands all that counts is your actual diploma and they don't look at all your grades. It's just a lot of pages I have to get translated (certified translation) which is pretty expensive and for that reason I haven't done it yet.

I'm just going to look around for jobs I might like and see if they accept my diploma with the translation I have now. And it might help that I have some references from previous jobs/internships. My husband has a good job and he recently got a contract so I have nothing to worry about but I'm also ridiculously bored haha.

xan

Mar 14, 2019
We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you.
You may not hear from us for a little while, this is normal. Most of the progress on your application happens closer to your estimated completion date. :)o_O:cool::p:D:eek::):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Reactions: Esmee178 and Wemc

Wemc

Mar 21, 2019
Thank you so much for all this info ^^! You couldnt be more helpful haha.

The whole school system is a lot different here and they ask for documents I might not be able to get, In the Netherlands all that counts is your actual diploma and they don't look at all your grades. It's just a lot of pages I have to get translated (certified translation) which is pretty expensive and for that reason I haven't done it yet.

I'm just going to look around for jobs I might like and see if they accept my diploma with the translation I have now. And it might help that I have some references from previous jobs/internships. My husband has a good job and he recently got a contract so I have nothing to worry about but I'm also ridiculously bored haha.
I understand the boredom far too well :(
The grades portion would be your transcripts. You hopefully shouldn't need those unless you're looking to go back to school; your diploma should be sufficient. Good luck!

Reactions: Esmee178

Rubyrenes88-2019

Apr 4, 2019
Congratulations! So we're you able to link it before getting the email? Because I called CIC twice since I'm not able to link the OWP after receiving the pr aor for a month now.. they said you can't link before you get a email. Also, what was your timeline?
We were able to link WP after i got the original document.
We tried numerous times to link, it clicked when we read in this forum that you ll have to mention ‘2’ under number of people under this application (principal applicant and sponsor).
My timeline
Application received: 29 Jan
AOR: 15 March
OWP email approval: 26 March
Medical request: 28 March

Still waiting for them to receive my medical, i am not sure if they do inform that they receive medical.

Reactions: Rekhapatel

paladinav

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
Hi all,

update to timeline:
App sent: 28th jan
Received: 30th Jan
AOR: 19th March
OWP received (physical): April 3rd
Med Request: 8th April
Med appointment: 10th April

Rekhapatel

Feb 15, 2019
We tried numerous times to link, it clicked when we read in this forum that you ll have to mention ‘2’ under number of people under this application (principal applicant and sponsor).
My timeline

Still waiting for them to receive my medical, i am not sure if they do inform that they receive medical.
Ok. I haven't heard from them on my OWP yet, hoping to get it soon. I also didn't recieve an email stating the medical was cleared but it was updated on my GC account.
I got a medical request and cleared but no news of OWP yet.

Rekhapatel

Feb 15, 2019
My timeline

So I'm understanding that I will only be able to link the OWP once I receive a application number for the OWP.

Pooriak

Star Member
Mar 5, 2019
Hey all ....
Let’s keep updated each other for rest of the process:
Documents sent on 23rd of jan
Received 25th jan
AOR 22 March
OWP returned on 26 march and resend in 27 March ( because of suficient fee )
OWP received 28th March
Quebec documents send on 27th & they received on 28th of March
No more updates till this moment

harsimrankaur24

Apr 9, 2019
Just wanna say hi for all who sent spouse sponsorship this month
I just sent my application together with OWP today
Crossing fingers! Wish us the best and smooth process! :)
HI,

I just want to know that if we are applying PR application and OWP then do we need to provide different sets of documents (like passport copies notarized , Birth certificates notarized , employment documents etc) for both applications or 1 set for both application are enough .
If there are different sets for both can you please advise me which documents need to attached for both applications differently.

I am quite confused while arranging everything.

Please help me to know document compilation process .