Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-06-2014
AOR Received.
08-08-2014
AIP = Approval in Principal = 1st stage approval. If all goes well, at AIP you get a letter saying meet the requirements for PR but are not necessarily given your PR card at this point (though many do get DM or decision made at the same time). AIP is currently taking approximately 18 months from the official application date. CIC may require further documentation also, which is likely to slow down things if it happens.

If you haven't yet, read through this document (its very helpful):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1exVjDW_qTVuCdi9Fnd5pKlOSA-XJ82Z4JDUZkUtQrE8/edit#heading=h.p3d4ee8uqizr

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
wopper said:
Thanks for all the advice!

i have checked the login information. I have already received that i am approved to be a sponsor, but my wife status is still in process. But the details says the medical report has been received. We did delay sending the medical report because of pregnancy by 3 months, so i guess i would still be within 1st stage? so i should call if i still don't receive anything by Jan?

sorry i'm not too familiar with this, but what is an approval in principle? is it some sort of assumed/will be approved status?

we applied within canada, so my wife came as a visitor and got a visitor visa and work permit currently.
AIP is something that comes when 1st stage is done. It means the sponsor application is approved and the applicant appears to be in a qualifying relationship with the sponsor.
Check out birdboy088's link, AIP is what you've been waiting for, and it's described further in that link.
Typically AIP means you're pretty-much-approved, unless there's an issue with the medical/security/background checks.

Medical/Security/Background checks for the Applicant have nothing to do with first stage, those are 2nd stage items, items that are only considered if 1st stage is done.
In fact, technically, they shouldn't even notice the medical is missing till 1st stage is over, but the truth is that no one has any idea how it really works.

A medical shouldn't hold up your AIP, in fact, there's only really two criteria for AIP:
1. Sponsor is eligible to sponsor someone (in Canada long enough, isn't dead, isn't on social assistance)
2. Sponsor is the legitimate monogamous spouse/partner of applicant.

Nowhere on the AIP will it say anything like "AIP" or "Approval in Principle", they like to make it interesting, so you have to look for magic words.
AIP's magic words are: ".... blah blah blah meet(s) the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence".
If you got a document like that, then you have AIP, and you can apply for Health Care now.

Have you received anything from CIC?

clarence80

Oct 22, 2014
i landed today in Calgary, and was given the confirmation PR document

but i really realised that on the document, its says:

Orig. entry date: 2014/08/03
Undertaking (mos): 36

Expiry date: 2018/04/09

has anyone else have dates like this? they seem a bit off to me?!?

MaryLou6

Oct 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, INLAND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014, common-law
Doc's Request.
OWP received May 26.2015, SA & AIP August 31, 2015, DM on September 3, 2015
AOR Received.
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
upfront
LANDED..........
24-09-2015
I just got off the phone with the most useless CIC agent ever. I called in regards to my card which is still not here.
He explained the fact that processing times change and even though mine has been exceeded, I should call after Dec 21 as the PR card processing centre is EXPERIENCING A HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS..........................................

So my prediction is: when I call on the 21, they'll tell me to call in after another extension period passes. Possibly late January, cause who'd want to go back to work right after Christmas. OR February, but wait it's Valentines Day. Fine, maybe after March Madness they'll be done with it.

Oh, and he said my ECAS won't reflect the fact that they send the card - the previous agent said it will have another bullet point, saying that it was sent.

I don't even know why I bothered to call.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
clarence80 said:
i landed today in Calgary, and was given the confirmation PR document

but i really realised that on the document, its says:

Orig. entry date: 2014/08/03
Undertaking (mos): 36

Expiry date: 2018/04/09

has anyone else have dates like this? they seem a bit off to me?!?
Original entry date is the date you entered Canada.
I was told that the expiry date is the deadline until which I would have been able to land, and after which I would have had to apply again (I don't know if it's actually true)
Length of undertaking is the time while your sponsor is financially responsible for you (if you collect social assistance, your sponsor will have to pay it back to the government)

xandt

Star Member
May 12, 2014
sophieee said:
Original entry date is the date you entered Canada.
I was told that the expiry date is the deadline until which I would have been able to land, and after which I would have had to apply again (I don't know if it's actually true)
Length of undertaking is the time while your sponsor is financially responsible for you (if you collect social assistance, your sponsor will have to pay it back to the government)
The expiry date is not the deadline for landing. The document is the proof that you've already landed.

Look to the left from "Expiry date". It is the expiry date of your travel document, which in most cases your passport.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
xandt said:
The expiry date is not the deadline for landing. The document is the proof that you've already landed.

Look to the left from "Expiry date". It is the expiry date of your travel document, which in most cases your passport.
Now I feel bad that I couldn't figure it out myself. And (almost) surprised how incompetent the officer was at my landing... He should have known what it was, but if he didn't, he still shouldn't have made up random things.
Thanks for the info!

wopper

Dec 14, 2015
birdboy008 said:
AIP = Approval in Principal = 1st stage approval. If all goes well, at AIP you get a letter saying meet the requirements for PR but are not necessarily given your PR card at this point (though many do get DM or decision made at the same time). AIP is currently taking approximately 18 months from the official application date. CIC may require further documentation also, which is likely to slow down things if it happens.

If you haven't yet, read through this document (its very helpful):
h ttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1exVjDW_qTVuCdi9Fnd5pKlOSA-XJ82Z4JDUZkUtQrE8/edit#heading=h.p3d4ee8uqizr
thanks for the info...the link doesn't seem to work though for some reason

wopper

Dec 14, 2015
GustavesF said:
AIP is something that comes when 1st stage is done. It means the sponsor application is approved and the applicant appears to be in a qualifying relationship with the sponsor.
Check out birdboy088's link, AIP is what you've been waiting for, and it's described further in that link.
Typically AIP means you're pretty-much-approved, unless there's an issue with the medical/security/background checks.

Medical/Security/Background checks for the Applicant have nothing to do with first stage, those are 2nd stage items, items that are only considered if 1st stage is done.
In fact, technically, they shouldn't even notice the medical is missing till 1st stage is over, but the truth is that no one has any idea how it really works.

A medical shouldn't hold up your AIP, in fact, there's only really two criteria for AIP:
1. Sponsor is eligible to sponsor someone (in Canada long enough, isn't dead, isn't on social assistance)
2. Sponsor is the legitimate monogamous spouse/partner of applicant.

Nowhere on the AIP will it say anything like "AIP" or "Approval in Principle", they like to make it interesting, so you have to look for magic words.
AIP's magic words are: ".... blah blah blah meet(s) the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence".
If you got a document like that, then you have AIP, and you can apply for Health Care now.

Have you received anything from CIC?

the only thing received from CIC on any requirement met was for me being a sponsor, and that was a few months ago. My wife still has not gotten anything like that from CIC. We proceeded with all the medical and background checks for her already and sent it in in October already. Really have no idea what is going on

wopper

Dec 14, 2015
Have another question. Wife has a visitor visa and an open work permit, both says at the bottom not authorized for re-entry.

So if we were to leave the country for vacation, she might not be able to enter back into the country?? Do i need to applying for a temporary resident visa?
Its confusing as on the CIC website, it seems visitor visa and temporary visa are the same, but in wording they are different?

what would i need to do if we need to leave the country for 3 weeks?

xandt

Star Member
May 12, 2014
sophieee said:
Now I feel bad that I couldn't figure it out myself. And (almost) surprised how incompetent the officer was at my landing... He should have known what it was, but if he didn't, he still shouldn't have made up random things.
Thanks for the info!
Haha, that's funny. :D The immigration officer told you that? :eek:

MelM2015

Star Member
Dec 3, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 27, 2014
Doc's Request.
October 6, 2015
Med's Request
September 9, 2015
Passport Req..
Not required
LANDED..........
December 15, 2015
Yay! We applied for sponsorship March 28 2014. Today in Ottawa my husband recieved his confirmation of PR. So glad we made it.

clarence80

Oct 22, 2014
xandt said:

thank you!!

and sophie too!

rmv

Star Member
Dec 15, 2015
Hi all. We are getting married in January 2016. I am from Scandinavia and my fiance is Canadian and we consider to use immigration lawyer to get through of this visa process under Family Class Sponsorship. I am here now with work&holiday visa which expires in June 2016. We have understood we need to start this Family Class Sponsorship 90 days before my visa expires to get visa extension and I don't need to leave country?
First step is to apply to be a sponsor? And that need to happen 90 days before my visa expires? Or way before to get answer is my fiance eligible?

Many here is saying it is not necessary to use lawyer? What is the truth?

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
xandt said:
Haha, that's funny. :D The immigration officer told you that? :eek:
Yes, he did indeed, with great confidence!
But he also told me, that I cannot get a permanent SIN number without the PR card (I did), and he was constantly talking rubbish during the interview...