+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi there,
Few questions.
-- Can I apply for Surrender Certificate at the BLS Toronto (Lawrence center)?
-- We are family of 3, parents + 1 kid. Do all 3 of us need to go together? I am assuming, it is better to take them along if they have any stupid demands of photos not accepted or need signature or thumb print etc.
-- If I submit the applications in person, can I collect them in person as well once all 3 are ready for pickup? Will it be always the same center where you submitted or it can change ?

Currently appointment available only for May 23 but I am thinking of going as a walk-in. Friend went today and they said they accept walk=ins based on rush only till 1 PM.

Thanks,
-Yes you can
-One member of the family can submit but you'll have to book separate appointments (if you going via the appointment route). Best is to take everyone together, like you said that BLS will create issues relating to photos etc. My 2 cents is that better to get the photos taken at BLS itself(they charge ~$15 for 2 photos) during the surrender.
Attach one photo with the surrender, keep the other one with you which you can use it for OCI application ;)
-BLS Toronto will force you to go with courier option only when they return

Reactions: JensonP

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
-Yes you can
-One member of the family can submit but you'll have to book separate appointments (if you going via the appointment route). Best is to take everyone together, like you said that BLS will create issues relating to photos etc. My 2 cents is that better to get the photos taken at BLS itself(they charge ~$15 for 2 photos) during the surrender.
Attach one photo with the surrender, keep the other one with you which you can use it for OCI application ;)
-BLS Toronto will force you to go with courier option only when they return
Thanks Abbas pasha for the prompt reply.
Thanks for the trick on using the photo for OCI.

So is there NO WAY I can decline the return courier delivery and instead do pickup? I don't want to pay purolator fee x 3 for 3 people.

I have never gone as a walk-in. Could you please confirm how does it work?
-- By what time should I get in line?
-- Any approximate duration by which I can be allowed in?
-- Are there chances we may be turned down and not allowed entry?

I can surely take the appointment on May 23rd but if walk-ins are possible then would like to try it rather than waiting.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thanks Abbas pasha for the prompt reply.
Thanks for the trick on using the photo for OCI.

So is there NO WAY I can decline the return courier delivery and instead do pickup? I don't want to pay purolator fee x 3 for 3 people.

I have never gone as a walk-in. Could you please confirm how does it work?
-- By what time should I get in line?
-- Any approximate duration by which I can be allowed in?
-- Are there chances we may be turned down and not allowed entry?

I can surely take the appointment on May 23rd but if walk-ins are possible then would like to try it rather than waiting.
BLS Toronto No Ways...
BLS Brampton.. maybe a possibility but it really depends how you pitch it ;) (I did pick up the Surrender Certificates(in Dec) and OCI (in Feb)) from Brampton
Walk in is esstintally first come basis.. earliest you go your chances will be bright.. Application Submission time for all BLS centers in Canada is 8:00AM to 1:00PM.
No idea how much time does walk in take it depends on the # of appointments and the walk ins in front of you
Later you go and your close to the 1pm cut off, you might be asked to come back next time.

Specially when you are going with family, appointments are the best options

Brampton jao, ghumke aao ;)

PS: May 23 is not far away... time flies

Reactions: OldH1B

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Thanks Abbas, it is a 45 mins drive for me. Whole day event ban jayega :)
I will try to take a chance at BLS Toronto.

So is it a confirmed rule/ policy mentioned anywhere which says clearly that BLS Toronto will give the SC by Purolator only. No in person pickups allowed?

May 3, 2023
i had applied for Proof of citizenship Canada application but my application is stuck in the stage on design made from last 2 months . what should I do now . i had also applied web form but no one replied. while on call they says it is still in process but the meaning of the design made as per IRCC website is that the design has been made on my file.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

So is it a confirmed rule/ policy mentioned anywhere which says clearly that BLS Toronto will give the SC by Purolator only. No in person pickups allowed?
Policy to BLS waale he bata sakte hain... you can ask members here about their experience at BLS Toronto...

Reactions: JensonP

motocrosstar

Star Member
Nov 1, 2020

I went to BLS Toronto yesterday for submitting my SC application. I reached a couple of minutes before 8 am. There were 18-19 people in front of me. I was out by 9:15 ish. My theory is that its not too crowded right now due to a break in Canadian passport issuance cause of the PSAC strike. But I could be wrong.

As for the purolator stuff, @abbas.pasha is right. They didn't even give me the option of pickup. Just handed me the purolator form to sign. Which I did cause I was just grateful that the whole thing went so smoothly.

ssingh5

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
I forgot to surrender my indian passport after getting canadian passport last year 2022. Can i still surrender ?

motocrosstar

Star Member
Nov 1, 2020
I forgot to surrender my indian passport after getting canadian passport last year 2022. Can i still surrender ?
As long as you haven't used your Indian passport since getting your Canadian passport you're good. You have up to 3 years to surrender passport.

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
I went to BLS Toronto yesterday for submitting my SC application. I reached a couple of minutes before 8 am. There were 18-19 people in front of me. I was out by 9:15 ish. My theory is that its not too crowded right now due to a break in Canadian passport issuance cause of the PSAC strike. But I could be wrong.

As for the purolator stuff, @abbas.pasha is right. They didn't even give me the option of pickup. Just handed me the purolator form to sign. Which I did cause I was just grateful that the whole thing went so smoothly.
Thanks for your reply motocrosstar.
I just got off the phone with customer care. The usual number no one picks up, but when you selection the option to buy a courier service, within 2 secs your call gets picked up. I asked the guy specifically - is there a rule or policy which says NO PICKUPS allowed and he confirmed NONE. There is no such rule.
Next I asked him - what if I don't want the VAS. He confirmed no one can force you to take the VAS.

I asked again, what if still someone does it. He then said, please escalate the ticket. I was like balls !!!! When the money is gone from my account no one will listen to me.
But thanks for letting me know, I will try the in person walk in

motocrosstar

Star Member
Nov 1, 2020
Thanks for your reply motocrosstar.
I just got off the phone with customer care. The usual number no one picks up, but when you selection the option to buy a courier service, within 2 secs your call gets picked up. I asked the guy specifically - is there a rule or policy which says NO PICKUPS allowed and he confirmed NONE. There is no such rule.
Next I asked him - what if I don't want the VAS. He confirmed no one can force you to take the VAS.

I asked again, what if still someone does it. He then said, please escalate the ticket. I was like balls !!!! When the money is gone from my account no one will listen to me.
But thanks for letting me know, I will try the in person walk in
LOL yeah its not like we can sue them for saying one thing on the phone and doing something different. For what its worth, I got my pictures taken at Staples and BLS didn't give me any trouble for it. I did see a few folks getting theirs taken onsite. You might want to lead with "I don't want courier service" when you get to an agent on the day of. Good luck!

Nonchalant

Apr 1, 2018
I've started filling out application form for surrender, but realized I hadn't added spouses name to my Indian passport. In the BLS sample forms its showing everything needs to match my passport so not clear what I should put for my marital status? Do I need to change my passport before submitting surrender certificate?