+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

motocrosstar

Star Member
Nov 1, 2020
Purolator messed up and routed my package to Ottawa. :( I live literally 20 minutes drive from BLS Toronto and they couldn't manage to deliver it on time. I've been calling them and fighting with them since yesterday. Hopefully they haven't lost it and I get it by Monday.

• Wow
Reactions: abbas.pasha

Sammy3

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
Hello,

I am planning to send my surrender certificate application second time by mail and wanted to ask couple of things if someone could help.

1. Do I need to send my original Canadian passport or just a copy is enough? BLS checklist is inconsistent about this.
2. I did a legal name change to fix an error in my name after getting Canadian citizenship. So my new name in my Canadian passport and all the ID's now doesn't match with the Indian passport and the Canadian citizenship certificate. I have the legal name change certificate to connect 2 names. Will there be any issue with this? Do I need to write any letter or anything else to attach?

I tried to do this surrendering few months back and they sent my application back because of not having my Canadian passport at that time. Just wanted to make sure this time it doesn't come back again. I trust someone here more than BLS to clarify this.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello,

I am planning to send my surrender certificate application second time by mail and wanted to ask couple of things if someone could help.

1. Do I need to send my original Canadian passport or just a copy is enough? BLS checklist is inconsistent about this.
2. I did a legal name change to fix an error in my name after getting Canadian citizenship. So my new name in my Canadian passport and all the ID's now doesn't match with the Indian passport and the Canadian citizenship certificate. I have the legal name change certificate to connect 2 names. Will there be any issue with this? Do I need to write any letter or anything else to attach?

I tried to do this surrendering few months back and they sent my application back because of not having my Canadian passport at that time. Just wanted to make sure this time it doesn't come back again. I trust someone here more than BLS to clarify this.

Thanks. Much appreciated.
My suggestion is to submit this in person if you live in the city which has BLS.
Not 100% sure but you may need to notarize the name change certificate..

Reactions: Sammy3

milit16

Star Member
Jun 18, 2019
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
15-04-2019
Med's Done....
28-05-2019
Submitted application on May 10. The tracker on the portal updated showing certificate has been printed on May 12. I’m surprised by their turnaround time.
Received my surrender certificate today. Super fast turnaround time in my experience.

Abhinandhan7

Star Member
May 14, 2018
Hi everyone, few questions regarding surrender certificate. I live in Toronto and just got my Canadian passport and want to surrender Indian passport by mail. I do not want to go in person. For mailing application, do we need to send original Canadian passport? It is mentioned in the website that we need to pay by DD/Check, etc and also include delivery fees. But how would I know what is fees for courier return? It is so confusing. Finally, is there a pick up service where puralator will come to my place and pick up the application?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi everyone, few questions regarding surrender certificate. I live in Toronto and just got my Canadian passport and want to surrender Indian passport by mail. I do not want to go in person. For mailing application, do we need to send original Canadian passport? It is mentioned in the website that we need to pay by DD/Check, etc and also include delivery fees. But how would I know what is fees for courier return? It is so confusing. Finally, is there a pick up service where puralator will come to my place and pick up the application?
Dont send original documents with courier.
Only include self attested copies as per the check list.
Call BLS for the booking of the courier, you can book a pick up and return service through the call

Padms

Jan 5, 2021
I submitted my passport surrender application at BLS Edmonton today. It was quick in/out WITHOUT appointment. I got my picture clicked at BLS to avoid back & forth.

rjv2255

Mar 18, 2023
hi,
I need to submit appliocation for surrender passport for my minor child.I saw that every copies to be self sttested.For the minor,should i sign or the child's thumb needed on each document?
thanks

Abhinandhan7

Star Member
May 14, 2018
I submitted my passport surrender application at BLS Edmonton today. It was quick in/out WITHOUT appointment. I got my picture clicked at BLS to avoid back & forth.
Hi could you tell me if they ask for original Canadian passport when you submitted the application in-person at BLS. My understanding is no need to send orginial Canada passport for mailing application. Curious, what is the requirement when submitting application at BLS in person.

sajjarapu

Star Member
May 12, 2017
Hi Has anyone recently submitted for surrender certificate from Toronto jurisdiction or Winnipeg ??

what is the timelines looking like??