+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I've started filling out application form for surrender, but realized I hadn't added spouses name to my Indian passport. In the BLS sample forms its showing everything needs to match my passport so not clear what I should put for my marital status? Do I need to change my passport before submitting surrender certificate?
Change your passport? As in Indian one ?
After getting Canadian citizenship ?
Use the marriage certificate naa bhai

Nonchalant

Apr 1, 2018
Change your passport? As in Indian one ?
After getting Canadian citizenship ?
Use the marriage certificate naa bhai
Thanks for response. Yes Indian passport not showing the spouse name and I already have Canadian passport now. So just submitting marriage certificate attested is enough in this case?

eparker42

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
Other
Thanks for response. Yes Indian passport not showing the spouse name and I already have Canadian passport now. So just submitting marriage certificate attested is enough in this case?
I didn’t have my spouse’s name on my Indian passport either. I put marital status as married and filled the details of my spouse. BLS didn’t ask for marriage certificate but yes you can take it just in case.

Reactions: tejaspan

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Think thoda sa rationally dost..
What you don’t have you don’t have. No longer changes can be done on the Indian passport except cancellation
What you’ve got, you got to use that: that is marriage certificate, that will prove that you married.
Tension nahin lene ka

Reactions: tejaspan

eparker42

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
Other
Went to BLS Vancouver today as walk-in for surrender application.
Reached there at 8:30am, got a token and was done by 9:40am. There was no fuss about photos or anything, opted for courier since it's convenient for me.
They said, it'll be delivered in 3 weeks.
Timeline for Surrender Certificate (Walk-in, BLS Vancouver)

Application submitted: April 28, 2023
In process at CGI: May 1, 2023
Surrender certificate printed: May 3, 2023
On the way to BLS from CGI: May 5, 2023
Picked up by Purolator: May 8, 2023
Expected delivery: May 9, 2023

I have an appointment on May 10 for OCI application submission.

Reactions: sajjarapu
Jun 7, 2021
Dear All,
Asking for our relatives, does anyone know how long is the processing time for Montreal for surrender certificate.They have submitted passports for surrender on April 24 and the BLS portal shows processing in high commission while the passport site https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/ shows to be "surrender certificate under review at embassy/consulate". Is this normal kindly advise.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Dear All,
Asking for our relatives, does anyone know how long is the processing time for Montreal for surrender certificate.They have submitted passports for surrender on April 24 and the BLS portal shows processing in high commission while the passport site https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/ shows to be "surrender certificate under review at embassy/consulate". Is this normal kindly advise.
Yeah it takes about 3-4 weeks to get the surrender certificate processed.

milit16

Star Member
Jun 18, 2019
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
15-04-2019
Med's Done....
28-05-2019
There's a text box asking for Canadian passport number in the online application to surrender my Indian Citizenship. However, that text box isn't a mandatory field, so I'm able to proceed with the application without having to fill in my Canadian passport number.

So my question is, can I go ahead and submit my Indian Citizenship Surrender Application while waiting for my Canadian passport to arrive? I plan on walking-in to the BLS office and getting it done with ASAP.
I applied for surrendering my Indian passport at BLS (Vancouver) without having a Canadian passport.

CGI Vancouver says that a Canadian passport is required if held. I don't hold one yet. Was heading to office and decided to try a walk-in at BLS to surrender my Indian citizenship/ passport. The attendant (at the entrance of BLS) told me that they do allow people to apply for surrendering Indian passport because I wasn't an Indian citizen any longer anyway. I'm glad that even the attending officer (who processed my application) understood that one doesn't need a Canadian passport to justify holding Canadian citizenship, along with the automatic renunciation of Indian citizenship that happens on the day one takes the oath.

I was just asked to write a letter stating why do I not have my Canadian passport - my passport won't be ready for pick up until Friday. It went really smooth. Was in and out in about 35 mins. There was 1 other person behind me who was also applying for surrendering Indian citizenship who didn't have a Canadian passport as well.

The attending officer also said that, in their opinion, BLS helpline hasn't been trained well to address these questions, and that most of the time the agents answering phone calls use the appropriate checklist to clarify document requirements. I was asked to directly visit BLS for any questions if at all.

P.S. I left the Canadian passport number text box blank in my application.

motocrosstar

Star Member
Nov 1, 2020
I went to submit my application at the Toronto BLS center today (couldn't make it to Brampton). I was a walk-in, reached a few minutes before 8 am. There were about 20 people before me. Got in around 8:30 and was out by around 9:15. Everything went very smoothly. The BLS agent didn't even ask to see my originals that I was carrying :). Now the wait begins. Thanks you folks for your help so far! Might need some more when I graduate to OCI :p
My surrender certificate was generated and purolator is scheduled to deliver it tomorrow 05/12. I applied on 05/02 at BLS Toronto. Pretty fast. Just a note, the status on the passport seva website never changed after "Surrender certificate is printed". I directly got a notification from BLS 2 days after that status appeared on passport seva.

Reactions: Real796

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
I applied for surrendering my Indian passport at BLS (Vancouver) without having a Canadian passport.

CGI Vancouver says that a Canadian passport is required if held. I don't hold one yet. Was heading to office and decided to try a walk-in at BLS to surrender my Indian citizenship/ passport. The attendant (at the entrance of BLS) told me that they do allow people to apply for surrendering Indian passport because I wasn't an Indian citizen any longer anyway. I'm glad that even the attending officer (who processed my application) understood that one doesn't need a Canadian passport to justify holding Canadian citizenship, along with the automatic renunciation of Indian citizenship that happens on the day one takes the oath.

I was just asked to write a letter stating why do I not have my Canadian passport - my passport won't be ready for pick up until Friday. It went really smooth. Was in and out in about 35 mins. There was 1 other person behind me who was also applying for surrendering Indian citizenship who didn't have a Canadian passport as well.

The attending officer also said that, in their opinion, BLS helpline hasn't been trained well to address these questions, and that most of the time the agents answering phone calls use the appropriate checklist to clarify document requirements. I was asked to directly visit BLS for any questions if at all.

Vancouver office accepting it. Toronto/Brampton rejecting it. CGI Toronto confirmed they need a Canadian passport. Weird, but that's how things are with them.

milit16

Star Member
Jun 18, 2019
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
15-04-2019
Med's Done....
28-05-2019
Vancouver office accepting it. Toronto/Brampton rejecting it. CGI Toronto confirmed they need a Canadian passport. Weird, but that's how things are with them.
Ugh, the inconsistency is so annoying. Can’t wait to be done with BLS once and for all.

• Haha
Reactions: CoorsHeavy

milit16

Star Member
Jun 18, 2019
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
15-04-2019
Med's Done....
28-05-2019

Submitted application on May 10. The tracker on the portal updated showing certificate has been printed on May 12. I’m surprised by their turnaround time.