+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

India PCC for US residents

dopehead

Star Member
Jan 28, 2017
DEEPCUR said:
Thanks for posting this. Bank of America doesn't notarize copies, they notarize only signatures.

For Indian passports that were recently issued in India, they will have PCC s up to date and can give it immediately. If it is a old passport, like 2008 or 2009 ones, they won't have clearance in their system and will request one. Most likely new verification request will be initiated and police will physically verify.
I wasn't aware of BofA's policy of only-signature-notarizations. I keep away from BofA and try to stick to our cute little credit union as much as possible:)
And good point about the passport issue date - mine was issued in 2015, so the PCC was up to date. I updated my original post to add the issue date.

ash_b

Oct 5, 2015
Maverick28 said:
Till you next visit India.
What if i initiate PCC for India now? I am currently in USA & supposed to move back to India immediately after PR application needs to be submitted (90th day is Jul 19th).

If India PCC results aren't received until this date, will it require me to take any action for India PCC once i land in India?

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
ash_b said:
What if i initiate PCC for India now? I am currently in USA & supposed to move back to India immediately after PR application needs to be submitted (90th day is Jul 19th).

If India PCC results aren't received until this date, will it require me to take any action for India PCC once i land in India?
If you travel to India after AOR, you are good. Anything before AOR will require a new one. I think you have sufficient time to get it - based on what I have read, embassy should issue PCC pretty fast - maybe a week or two at best even if it takes time.

binga777

Star Member
Jun 18, 2015
if you submit your application while you are in USA, your indian pcc will be valid. after submitting application you can travel anywhere.

ash_b

Oct 5, 2015
dopehead said:
So my wife and I drove up to NY last week to get the PCC done and over with in person at the Consulate General (CGNY). Here's our experience in case it helps anyone.
- There is an option to drop off all documents in person including original passport between 9.15 and 11.30am Mon - Fri, where the staff at the Consulate will verify that all documents are present and will issue a receipt (one per passport)
- In person, you can either pay by cash or money order/cashier's check. No credit/debit cards accepted
- The fees are: $25 for passports issued by CGNY, $40 for passports issued by other authorities. Plus $3 per passport for the Indian Community Welfare Fee
- For documents, we submitted per passport:
- Filled up form for miscellaneous services
- passport in original
- photocopy of driver's license for address proof (for proof that you do fall under the jurisdiction of that consulate)
- photocopy of first and last page of passport
- photocopy of visa page (or Green Card if applicable)
- copy of I-94 (if applicable)

Once the documents/passport were collected by the staff and receipts issued, we were asked to return between 12.30pm and 1pm, or 4.30pm and 5pm that day - these are the windows for delivery of documents.

We did not need to notarize any document since we were applying in person.
If you're applying via mail, all photocopies from the list above need to be notarized. I would suggest going to any bank you're a member of to get this done. We usually go to our local credit union where notarization is done for free.

The Misc. services form on the CGNY website has no reference to the country that the PCC is issued for, so we had to write something on the lines of "Applying for immigration to Canada" on the form.

Finally, my passport was issued in India (in 2015) while my wife's was issued in New York. According to https://www.indiacgny.org/pages.php?id=87 same day service is NOT applicable to passports not issued by CGNY. However while dropping off the passport, I asked the clerk if I could get the PCC the same day and she said it depends on what they see in their systems about my background. I.e. if it's all clear, the PCC would be issued the same day and if more details were needed, it would take longer.

We picked up the PCC's the same day at 12.30pm.

Hope this helps.
Thanks @dopehead.

So, if i understand this correctly, I should fill in "Canada" in the space below on the PCC application form?

o Police Clearance Certificate
for _____________________ (Country)
 For PPT issued in San Francisco $25
 For PPT issued in countries other
Than San Francisco

dopehead

Star Member
Jan 28, 2017
ash_b said:
Thanks @dopehead.

So, if i understand this correctly, I should fill in "Canada" in the space below on the PCC application form?

o Police Clearance Certificate
for _____________________ (Country)
 For PPT issued in San Francisco $25
 For PPT issued in countries other
Than San Francisco
That is correct.
This is needed as the PCC states "This is to certify that there is no adverse information in respect of <NAME> holder of Indian passport <Passport#> issued at <wherever> on <whatever date>, which would render him/her ineligible for the grant of travel facilities including visa for CANADA"

Reactions: jitrulz

ash_b

Oct 5, 2015
Hi All,

After i submitted all relevant docs to Indian consulate @ SFO, i received a call from the consulate asking me to submit my (& my wife's) original passports.
Per FedEx tracking, they received the consignment last Thu, 5/11. Per their request, i had also included return mailing envelope so they could stamp the passports & send it back to me in that envelope along with PCC.

Since these are original docs, i tried calling the consulate & emailing them several times but they don't care to respond. I am worried since USCIS could announce decision on my visa extension anytime and if its rejected, i hardly have 5 business days to leave the country.

I am in Washington so travelling to SFO ain't feasible.

What are the alternatives? How much time do they generally take to stamp the passports once they receive them?

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
I have my passport issued in 2009 , would I not get the same day PCC from NY consulate. Please suggest.
Same day services are typically only for those cases where passport was issued by that consulate - if passport was issued in India, I think it might take a bit longer but should not be too long. I too am in the same boat - waiting for ITA and then will go to Atlanta consulate - passport issued in 2009 in India - will report back on my experience and timeline

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
If you have recently issued passport, they can issue same day even if it was issued in India as police clearance would be up to date in the system. If the passport was issued in 2009 or so, I'd suggest you to apply well in advance as it might trigger a new police verification request to the address in passport. I renewed my passport in India with same address, even then I got police verification for my new passport. I did have a police verification in 2008 when I got my old passport too and was told that verification won't happen if the address is same, but still I got verification for new passport. So I presume they don't use the old report or they have had some kinda system upgrade recently.

ca_hopeful

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
Hello,

Slightly complicated case. Need help to figure out. I received my ITA yesterday and have time till 27 Sept to complete AOR. I plan to travel to India in the end of August for 3 weeks. Ideally, I would like to submit my AOR before leaving for India but I am doubtful if I will get the FBI history check before that as I submitted the request 2 weeks ago. In this scenario, should I get the India PCC done now itself or wait till the FBI one comes and if it comes after I return from India then do Indian PCC after I return?

vkumar7077

Star Member
Jun 30, 2017
Hello , I am trying to apply for Indian PCC in SFO, planning to send the document via courier. I am completing the Personal Particulars form and have a question here:
8a) Permanent address & Tel no. along with Police Station
8b) Present Residential address & Tel no. along with Police Station and residing since

Should we mention the police station name as well in this column , this column looks very small though. Can you share your experience?

Jun 6, 2017
That is correct.
This is needed as the PCC states "This is to certify that there is no adverse information in respect of <NAME> holder of Indian passport <Passport#> issued at <wherever> on <whatever date>, which would render him/her ineligible for the grant of travel facilities including visa for CANADA"
Hi... i have a query with reference to exactly this point, so posting here....
I received Indian PCC from New york consulate without much fuss and as you have stated above, same is written in the document.
But i read in other forum(posted in FB), that states most common reasons for rejections of PR (generic post, which i will be posting here later)

That had one point for PCC that states:

Dates dont cover complete period of stay....so does this mean dates has to be mentioned in PCC of the stay or how do you interpret this? Since in my PCC India received from New york consulate doesnt mention dates. So would this be a problem?

Any responses would be appreciated. Thanks in advance