+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

India PCC for US residents

ash_b

Oct 5, 2015
Hello!

While I understand that US residents need to apply for India PCC at one of the Indian consulates, the instructions on the link below confuse me a bit -

http://www.cgisf.org/page/display/143/236

Do we only need the docs mentioned under the section "how to apply"? If its for PCC in India, why would they require proofs for US residence address & visa? Would they not need anything like Indian PAN card# etc?

Am i missing something?

Thanks!

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
ash_b said:
Hello!

While I understand that US residents need to apply for India PCC at one of the Indian consulates, the instructions on the link below confuse me a bit -

http://www.cgisf.org/page/display/143/236

Do we only need the docs mentioned under the section "how to apply"? If its for PCC in India, why would they require proofs for US residence address & visa? Would they not need anything like Indian PAN card# etc?

Am i missing something?

Thanks!
Your passport is your proof. They ask for proof of residence like visa and US address because only people with residence visa such as F1, H1, L1 etc. can get PCC from Consulate or Embassy. They want to make sure of that since people on tourist visa have to get it from India only.

ash_b

Oct 5, 2015
Maverick28 said:
Your passport is your proof. They ask for proof of residence like visa and US address because only people with residence visa such as F1, H1, L1 etc. can get PCC from Consulate or Embassy. They want to make sure of that since people on tourist visa have to get it from India only.
Thanks @Maverick28

So just to confirm, from their below statement, is it safe to assume that the only doc from India needed is the passport? And copies of all pages (except visa & entry/exit stamps page) need to be self-attested. Visa & entry/exit stamps page copies need to be notarized?

"Copies of Indian passport and other documents issued in India need not be notarized but only self-attested. However, relevant and valid visa pages, green card copy, address proof in the US are to be notarized if applications are sent by mail."

dopehead

Star Member
Jan 28, 2017
The only document to be sent in original is the passport. Copies of all other required documents (I-94, green card/visa stamp, address proof - license etc) need to be notarized.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
They ask resident proofs for two things..

1) To see if the person lives in embassy's jurisdiction. Every consulate is meant to serve some number of states.
2) To make sure you don't apply PCC from them while being a tourist or visitor. They are meant to serve only Indian residents on US.

EhhCanada

Star Member
Mar 20, 2017
Do we need to notarize or just the copies are fine because when I called NY Embassy few weeks ago they told that copies should be fine.

I am little skeptical on this

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
EhhCanada said:
Do we need to notarize or just the copies are fine because when I called NY Embassy few weeks ago they told that copies should be fine.

Copies are fine if you are submitting the application in person. If sending by mail, it is advisable to get them notarized. You don't want them to reject it on that ground and lose more time in the process. The other challenge is in many states (especially Georgia), they don't notarize the photocopy of any document which has your picture on it. It is very difficult.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
EhhCanada said:

Why would you want risk this with original passports being with them? You can get it notarized in no time visiting nearby UPS store. They charge $10 per page.

ash_b

Oct 5, 2015
I agree. Nothing needs to be sent in original (including passport). Notarized copies include all visa related docs (visa page in passport, entry/exit stamps, i797/i94 forms), address proofs

One more question that i have now after i started filling the application -

http://www.cgisf.org/pdf/misc2.pdf

What do i need to fill in below? Should the country be Canada?

o Police Clearance Certificate
for _____________________ (Country)
 For PPT issued in San Francisco $25
 For PPT issued in countries other
Than San Francisco

ash_b

Oct 5, 2015
One additional question-

"Filled in Personal Particulars Proforma PDF Document Link. (three copies)."

We need to paste a photograph on the main form. Can we take 3 copies from this main form, which would mean the photos would also be photocopied? Or do we need to affix a hard photograph on each of the 3 copies?

Thanks!

dopehead

Star Member
Jan 28, 2017
So my wife and I drove up to NY last week to get the PCC done and over with in person at the Consulate General (CGNY). Here's our experience in case it helps anyone.
- There is an option to drop off all documents in person including original passport between 9.15 and 11.30am Mon - Fri, where the staff at the Consulate will verify that all documents are present and will issue a receipt (one per passport)
- In person, you can either pay by cash or money order/cashier's check. No credit/debit cards accepted
- The fees are: $25 for passports issued by CGNY, $40 for passports issued by other authorities. Plus $3 per passport for the Indian Community Welfare Fee
- For documents, we submitted per passport:
- Filled up form for miscellaneous services
- passport in original
- photocopy of driver's license for address proof (for proof that you do fall under the jurisdiction of that consulate)
- photocopy of first and last page of passport
- photocopy of visa page (or Green Card if applicable)
- copy of I-94 (if applicable)

Once the documents/passport were collected by the staff and receipts issued, we were asked to return between 12.30pm and 1pm, or 4.30pm and 5pm that day - these are the windows for delivery of documents.

We did not need to notarize any document since we were applying in person.
If you're applying via mail, all photocopies from the list above need to be notarized. I would suggest going to any bank you're a member of to get this done. We usually go to our local credit union where notarization is done for free.

The Misc. services form on the CGNY website has no reference to the country that the PCC is issued for, so we had to write something on the lines of "Applying for immigration to Canada" on the form.

Finally, my passport was issued in India (in 2015) while my wife's was issued in New York. According to https://www.indiacgny.org/pages.php?id=87 same day service is NOT applicable to passports not issued by CGNY. However while dropping off the passport, I asked the clerk if I could get the PCC the same day and she said it depends on what they see in their systems about my background. I.e. if it's all clear, the PCC would be issued the same day and if more details were needed, it would take longer.

We picked up the PCC's the same day at 12.30pm.

Hope this helps.

binga777

Star Member
Jun 18, 2015
I thought we need to sumit passport in original.. coz Indian comsulate will stamp on one of the passport page for PCC issued. i applied in person.

EhhCanada

Star Member
Mar 20, 2017
dopehead said:
So my wife and I drove up to NY last week to get the PCC done and over with in person at the Consulate General (CGNY). Here's our experience in case it helps anyone.
- There is an option to drop off all documents in person including original passport between 9.15 and 11.30am Mon - Fri, where the staff at the Consulate will verify that all documents are present and will issue a receipt (one per passport)
- In person, you can either pay by cash or money order/cashier's check. No credit/debit cards accepted
- The fees are: $25 for passports issued by CGNY, $40 for passports issued by other authorities. Plus $3 per passport for the Indian Community Welfare Fee
- passport in original
- photocopy of driver's license for address proof (for proof that you do fall under the jurisdiction of that consulate)

Once the documents/passport were collected by the staff and receipts issued, we were asked to return between 12.30pm and 1pm, or 4.30pm and 5pm that day - these are the windows for delivery of documents.

If you're applying via mail, all photocopies from the list above need to be notarized. I would suggest going to any bank you're a member of to get this done. We usually go to our local credit union where notarization is done for free.

The Misc. services form on the CGNY website has no reference to the country that the PCC is issued for, so we had to write something on the lines of "Applying for immigration to Canada" on the form.

Finally, my passport was issued in India while my wife's was issued in New York. According to https://www.indiacgny.org/pages.php?id=87 same day service is NOT applicable to passports not issued by CGNY. However while dropping off the passport, I asked the clerk if I could get the PCC the same day and she said it depends on what they see in their systems about my background. I.e. if it's all clear, the PCC would be issued the same day and if more details were needed, it would take longer.

Hope this helps.
one QQ How long is the India PCC valid for
till our next visit to India or any time frame is mentioned on the PCC?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
dopehead said:
- passport in original

Finally, my passport was issued in India while my wife's was issued in New York. According to https://www.indiacgny.org/pages.php?id=87 same day service is NOT applicable to passports not issued by CGNY. However while dropping off the passport, I asked the clerk if I could get the PCC the same day and she said it depends on what they see in their systems about my background. I.e. if it's all clear, the PCC would be issued the same day and if more details were needed, it would take longer.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for posting this. Bank of America doesn't notarize copies, they notarize only signatures.

For Indian passports that were recently issued in India, they will have PCC s up to date and can give it immediately. If it is a old passport, like 2008 or 2009 ones, they won't have clearance in their system and will request one. Most likely new verification request will be initiated and police will physically verify.