+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Get Canadian Driving License -for Newcomers

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mianchd said:
Hi Guys, Need advice on Exchanging Driving Licence in Canada (Ontario).

1) My Wife has a full UAE Driving Licence with 1 year of Driving Experience in UAE.

2) I have full UAE Driving Licence with 1.5 Years of Drivin Experience in UAE.
Also, I hold a Full UK Driving Licence (2.2 Years Old) with no Driving experience in the UK.

We hold Pakistani Passports with Canadian PR.

Can you please advise on the best (quickest) way to get a Full (G) Ontario Driving Licence for both of us.

I would also like to know if any other Canadian province can offer a quicker way to get driving licences for people in our circumstances.
You can't just go to any province and get a license, even if it's easier. You have to get a license in the province you live in.

As far as I know, Ontario will give you credit for up to 1 year driving experience self declared and more than that, you have to have a letter from some driving authority in your country verifying your driving experience.

You can read more here: http://www.drivetest.ca/en/licencing/pages/out-of-country-drivers.aspx

From your experience and licenses, I would assume that your wife would have to take the written test and basic road test and could get a G2 license right away if she passes. It will allow her to drive by herself. She would have to drive on her G2 license for 12 months and would then be able to take the advanced road test and get a G license.

For you, if you use your UAE license with 1.5 years experience, you should be able to take the written test and basic road test as well and if given credit for your experience, you may be able to take the advanced road test and get a G license after 6 months. If you use the UK license with no experience, you can get a G2 license without taking any tests based on the exchange agreement but you would have to wait longer before you can get your G license.

For most people, it doesn't matter if you have G2 or G as long as you are not aspiring to become a professional driver such as a taxi or truck driver.

mianchd

Star Member
Jun 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much. That was very helpful and informative.

I have not yet moved to Canada but am about to. I am currently deciding which province to choose.

I would really appreciate if you can also inform me regarding the other provinces.

saleem7821

Jul 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-09-2013
Nomination.....
PER Received :16-12-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
10-01-2014
Med's Request
26-06-2014 Remedical Assessment Request : 26-08-2015
Med's Done....
09-07-2014 Remedical done : 17-09-2015
Passport Req..
PPR1 : 28-Oct-2014 , PPR2 : 26-Oct-2015
VISA ISSUED...
26-Oct-2015
LANDED..........
InshahAllah May 2016 Welcome Edmonton
Hi, i am looking for a furnished separate basement in Edmonton downtown a single family with two kids age 2 and 3.5 years, starting from 5th May until end of June 2016. If anyone interested please contact:

+17806554554

mastfadi

May 24, 2013
Qatar
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2013
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
PER : 13-11-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
19-June-2014
Med's Done....
15-July-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1: 21-July-2014::PPR2:3-Aug-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
01-May-2015
Leon said:
If you are settling in Alberta, you have 3 months time that you can still drive on your foreign license.
Leon,

I am a PR. I did my first landing in Calgary last year in May and spent 3 weeks there. Now I am going back to Canada for few days only as well. Since I have not settled there yet, Can I still drive on my foreign license when I go to Calgary this time?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mastfadi said:
Leon,

I am a PR. I did my first landing in Calgary last year in May and spent 3 weeks there. Now I am going back to Canada for few days only as well. Since I have not settled there yet, Can I still drive on my foreign license when I go to Calgary this time?
As far as I know since you did not settle, you only visited for 3 weeks in May and now you are visiting again so like any other visitor, you can drive on your foreign license. However, if you settle, you have 3 months to exchange it and get an AB license.

Stilltryin

Feb 2, 2016
I am a recently landed PR pass the 5 months. I have over 17 years licenced driving experience. I will not have the drivers abstract when I go to apply for drivers licence. What will happen when the 60 days have passed? Is it that I cannot apply for any licence including the G1? I have no issues just working with the G2 but since it has passed 60 days since I have landed the. I want o know what repercussions there will be in applying now? Thanks for any info.

Sky_01

Aug 13, 2014
Hi;
I did a short landing in october15 for 15 days with 9yrs DL from Dubai & also international DL. While in Toronto, I used the rented car and covered substantial distances, also intercity.
Now I am going back for permanent settlement in late june16 (the resident visa of UAE will be cancelled in this month which is needed with the DL of another country). In the first week of July, I have to go to US Cleveland from Toronto via Fort Erie and the most economical & convenient way I have researched is to use a rented car.
What should I do to make the return journey to US possible? Is border crossing with the rented car possible?
Kindly advise.

I have following:
DL dubai Exp: 9july16
International Lic.
Indian passport
PR Card
US visit visa

tjdj

May 30, 2016
Vats said:
I got Full G licence in 4 months of landing here in Canada.
the main thing is needed proper process
1) get G1 asap as its simple
2) bring original licence and DL extract from home country
3) find good instructor (not good in marketing but real) no need to go to clasees etc
4) take 5-6 lessons and give G2 asap
5) G2 is not mandatory but it will give you time to practice for G and with G2 you can drive alone for practice
6) do proper practice drive car for 1/2 months and than go for full G
I am sure you will make it in first attempt

Can you tell me if the canadian authority will keep my current indian license with them or return it to me after the application is processed, if i go through the same way as you for applying for a g1 or g2 license? And also are the RTOs in Delhi providing DL extract?

Indocan56

Apr 30, 2015
New Delhi
Visa Office......
NDVO shifted to CVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17/12/2014
Nomination.....
PER - 04/03/2015
AOR Received.
28/04/2015
IELTS Request
Sent with file
File Transfer...
SLU 23/03/2015
Med's Request
24/09/2015
Med's Done....
05/10/2015/. 7th Line Medical Received update 14.10.15
Interview........
Waived- Status changes to 'Decision Made' on 5th Feb'16
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 2016
Need guidance from seniors and experts on short term accommodation in Toronto/ GTR
Mississauga, Brapton or Scarborough. We family of 2+ 2 kids r landing in Toronto in first week of July.

sajid shehzaad

Star Member
May 16, 2016
hello sir ... i also have full uk driving license which is more then 2 years old i have 3 points and 220 pound fine on it can u plz confirm me will it be ok to exchange or ontario authority wont accept my license

dems

Apr 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep. 29, 2014
Doc's Request.
photo request - 6-Feb-15
Nomination.....
PER: 9-Jan-15
File Transfer...
SLU updated 26Aug15, upto 5th Line update - 29Aug15
Med's Request
04-Sep-15
Med's Done....
14-Sep-15, except for our new born MR received 27Oct15
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
11-Nov-15
VISA ISSUED...
7-Dec-15
LANDED..........
In God's Time
Hi guys,

I have some query. I have driving experience letter from Dubai but it was already expired 2 weeks ago. by the way experience certificate from dubai has expiry date.

What do you think, They will approved my GDL exemption despite of the expired dubai experience certificate? I am here in Edmonton, Alberta.

These were my documents only.
1. Dubai original drivers license
2. International driving license from dubai.
3. RTA drivers experience certificate from dubai.- Expired 2 weeks ago.

Please advise....

Thank you

maplezone

Mar 2, 2015
Dear seniors,

I got my driving license from the country of my residence almost 9 months ago ( less than 12 months). I am planning to do a short landing for almost 2-3 months.

1) Please guide me , in my case how do I have to apply and under which category ? G1 or G2 ? What is the procedure for my case ?

2) For my current driving license do I need to issue a letter from the ministry of road and transport ? As I said, I have a driving license of less than 12 months , so will it help ?

3) Some ppl are saying that if I am planning to do a short landing that is for 2-3 months , then it is not a good idea to apply for a driving license .. Is it so ?

maplezone

Mar 2, 2015
Seniors , please advice !

maplezone said:
Dear seniors,

I got my driving license from the country of my residence almost 9 months ago ( less than 12 months). I am planning to do a short landing for almost 2-3 months.

1) Please guide me , in my case how do I have to apply and under which category ? G1 or G2 ? What is the procedure for my case ?

2) For my current driving license do I need to issue a letter from the ministry of road and transport ? As I said, I have a driving license of less than 12 months , so will it help ?

3) Some ppl are saying that if I am planning to do a short landing that is for 2-3 months , then it is not a good idea to apply for a driving license .. Is it so ?

dems

Apr 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep. 29, 2014
Doc's Request.
photo request - 6-Feb-15
Nomination.....
PER: 9-Jan-15
File Transfer...
SLU updated 26Aug15, upto 5th Line update - 29Aug15
Med's Request
04-Sep-15
Med's Done....
14-Sep-15, except for our new born MR received 27Oct15
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
11-Nov-15
VISA ISSUED...
7-Dec-15
LANDED..........
In God's Time
maplezone said:
Seniors , please advice !
Hi,

Just share my experience, i submitted my expired Dubai history certificate, dubai driving license and international driving license. After 10 days I received confirmation that I was exempted for GDL. I can proceed road test for advance class 5, and by the grace of God i passed just for one take.. My examiner here in Edmonton Alberta were just very professional, very friendly and very considerate. ;D

Thanks..

Abhishek901

Star Member
Jun 10, 2015
Toronto
Hi friends,

I am landing in Toronto in Aug. Would request if someone could guide me on getting Driving License extract from Delhi. I tried to google but couldn't get any relevant information.

My DL was issued in 2006 and is valid till 2026. It is in English. I also got myself the IDP a couple of days back. It doesn't talk about my driving experience either.

How do we approach the RTO for DL extract? Is there any procedure/forms to get it or is it an ad hoc letter?