Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-05-2015
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2015
Hi, I have foreign computerized driving license for more than 2 years.... but there is one problem...there is a small mistake in my name spelling...one alphabet is missing...

i am in ontario? also MTO need a certificate of license authenticity from embassy?

what options i have to avoid any problem and get my license accepted by transport authority.

Expert advise please...

hibakrey

Jul 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
BUCH
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Med's Done....
14/02/2014 SECOND TIME 02/07/2015
Passport Req..
PPR 31/8/2015
LANDED..........
INSHALA DECEMBER 2015
HELLO,
how much time we need after landing in Toronto on December 2015 and if we have all the right documents to get the G1 Driving licence?one month ? two month? more or less? i need the aproximatly time i want to know cs it important for us to get the licence as a prove of residency for our son school. thx in advance :D

CN_70

Dec 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hibakrey said:
HELLO,
how much time we need after landing in Toronto on December 2015 and if we have all the right documents to get the G1 Driving licence?one month ? two month? more or less? i need the aproximatly time i want to know cs it important for us to get the licence as a prove of residency for our son school. thx in advance :D
for G1 you will get in same day after passing the knowledge test. they will give you paper licence and the card licence I received after around two week.

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anyone from karachi who took letter of authorization from traffic police station ? do they know all about this or i have to explain them and there is a special format that i have to communicate to them ?

pr1711

Jul 29, 2014
Visa Office......
NDVO/<b>Colombo</b>
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
<b>Oct 09th 2014</b>
Doc's Request.
May 13th 2015
Nomination.....
<b>(PER):</b> Jan 15th 2015
AOR Received.
Feb 13th 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
<b>SLU:</b> May 01st 2015: Started processing on Apr 28th 2015
Med's Request
May 14th 2015
Med's Done....
May 20th 2015 || <b>Third Line: </b>May 28th 2015 || <b>Decision Made: </b>June 27th 2015
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
[color=#D4A017] <b>July 30th 2015</b>[/color] <b>
VISA ISSUED...
Aug 2015
LANDED..........
Oct 16th 2015
qorax said:
How to obtain Ontario Driving License
with our Home Country's D/License

Dear all,

Let me address another query which getting repetitive here. The procedure of obtaining a Canadian driving license is pretty much simple within our 1st few days [max a week]. Remember, this is 'easy' if we are coming from countries which has a similar driving & road management conditions [read 'left-hand drive']. If not, we may have to undertake some training before we apply.
Pre-conditions / Which License:
1. If we have over 24 months 'overseas' driving experience -we get the Ontario G2 Driving License.
2. If we have over 12 months [but less than 24] driving experience -we get the Ontario G1 Driving License.
(Details below)

Direct Swap of Licenses:
If our home country doesn't have a *reciprocal licence exchange agreement with Ontario, we cannot Swap our current D/License to get a Toronto-ON D/License.
*Reciprocal License Exchange Agreement exists between Ontario and: US, Japan, Korea, Switzerland, Germany, France, UK, Austria & Belgium.

What is the Procedure then:
But, in that case do we have to START all over Again? No... We can immediately apply & get a Toronto (Ontario) Driving License thru the following procedure:

Step-1 -Before we 'Land':
1. We must obtain a 'Letter of Authentication'* from the country's Roads & Transport Authority, explaining** our D/License.
2. Take also a 'True Translation Copy'* of our D/License from Road & Transport Authority. Both 1 & 2 maybe clubbed in one.
3. Obtain an International Driving License/Permit*** (IDL / IDP).
stating "more than 24 months" driving experience in our country.
*In English or French, the 2 Canadian Official Languages.
**The explanation should include 24 or 12 months driving experience [the Pre-conditions will apply].
***This is nothing but a translated copy of our present D/license. (it can be used in lieu of point-1 & 2 above).

Benefits of the IDL / IDP:
With the foregoing, we can drive a car abroad for three [3] months (2 months, in Ontario). Within that time apply for the Ontario Driving License. This International Driving Licenses [IDL/IDP]are issued against our original D/Licenses by the Automobile Associations or [sometimes] the RTA/RTO of our home country. Check them for more details.

Step-2 -After you 'Land':
In such cases we are called 'Out of Country Drivers' and we can skip the G2 'waiting period' and get the G2 license immediately [with that 24 months letter] or a G1 driving license [if we only have the above 12 months letter].

Now for the Ontario driver's licence are required to;
1. Present a valid foreign Driver's License*,
2. Provide an acceptable Proof of Identity [SIN, PR card etc.]
3. Pay all applicable Fees,
4. Pass a Vision Test
5. Pass the Written Knowledge Test -regarding Ontario's traffic rules.
*If it is not in English or French, it is to be accompanied by a written translation from a qualified translator; [we got that, as the Authentication Letter]

Note: Applicants are required to provide adequate proof of foreign driving experience. However, if it is not there, the ministry will accept applicants' declaration of their foreign driving experience on the driver's licence application for up to a maximum of 12 months experience. In that case we get the G1* license only.

Step-3 -The Tests to take:
Based on the 24 months Authentication Letter the ministry will recognize the applicant's foreign driving experience as certified on the authentication letter AND,

1. After Step-2, we can attempt the G2*Exit Road Tests (mandatory wait times are waived).
2. Upon successfully passing the G2* Exit Road Test, we get the G2* license.
3. After few months of driving under G2* we can apply for a G*Licence.
4. If we 'only' have the 12 months letter & not the 24, we qualify for G1* Road Test & the G1* driving license only.
5. If we don't provide any letter, we must pass the G1* road test and have a 12-month wait period for taking G2* road test.

*The License Grading Explained [G1, G2 & G]:
-G1 License has certain limitations like we have to always drive alongwith a G license holder. It is thus, useless for us, who have good & adequate driving experience under similar driving conditions & system as that of Canada [read 'left-hand drive' experience & similar road/traffic management conditions].
-G2 License is as good as G, except that we cannot drive on the Highway at certain times (Midnight Rush Hrs. when truck movement starts).
-G License is the 'full fledged' driving license.
Source:
http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx

Note:
1. The above procedure is mainly addressed for the Ontario (ON) province.
2. The procedure is pretty much similar with all other provinces as well [BC, NS, NB etc.].
3. If we are not coming from a similar driving condition country, we must take some training before we proceed.
4. Usually we can get the G2 driving license quite easily [with the foregoing steps].

Hope that helped...
Qorax
Hi,

this is very useful information. Thanks. I somehow managed to get the DL extract from the transport authority. Will this suffice the requirements to declare my experience of more than 2 years to get the canadian driving license?

Regards.

karunya.vemulapalli

Star Member
Mar 1, 2014
Hyderabad - India
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pr1711 said:
Hi,

this is very useful information. Thanks. I somehow managed to get the DL extract from the transport authority. Will this suffice the requirements to declare my experience of more than 2 years to get the canadian driving license?

Regards.
That should be fine. If you can email me the document and I check and let you know.

salvatore270

Star Member
Dec 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey y'all
so this is from drivetest.ca: drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Out-of-Country-Drivers.aspx
for experience greater than 24 months (as in my case) the G2 test is not required, mandatory times do not apply, but I am required to take the G test.
I live in Ontario.
Can somebody explain to me what this means?

Am I to take the G1 knowledge test?
What is the difference between G2 and G road test?

Thanks

Karbanah

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
Pretty useful. I've been looking around for stuff regarding my license.. I'm going to apply for an IDP this week..

if I have an IDP, do I still need the letter of authentication? I know I might have read that there's no need, but I just wanna make sure.

Would appreciate an accurate answer. Thanks!

Md.Azad

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
Australia
Visa Office......
Australia
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
17-09-2013
AOR Received.
02-10-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Hi

I am planning to move Toronto next year.Currently I have Australian driving license (>24 Months) .Do I need to take driving test in Canada ?
What procedure should I follow to get Canadian Driving License ?

Thanks
Azad

zain.abbas

Nov 15, 2015
ciscoccie said:
anyone from karachi who took letter of authorization from traffic police station ? do they know all about this or i have to explain them and there is a special format that i have to communicate to them ?
You will require a verification letter issued by the traffic police. Just visit the license center with an application stating that you require a verification letter along with a copy of DL and NIC. They will issue it to you right away. There is no official fee for the letter .... rest you know better

salvatore270

Star Member
Dec 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I passed my G1 license, and I have booked the Ontario G road test for next Tuesday.

Can I still use my International Drivers License in the meanwhile?

karamjeeet

Star Member
Jan 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw, poland
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12dec.2015
Nomination.....
Per 9 March,2015
AOR Received.
21may15
Med's Request
1june15
Med's Done....
9june,2015
Interview........
TLU 19june,,,,,,, DM 15 AUG. 2015
Need help friends,,
I am from India, I have licence with incorrect date of birth, this licence is simple one and doesn't have embedded chip in it. Is it mandatory to have latest driving licence that has embedded chip in it. Will a corrected paper licence will suffice,,, Please advise

shb

May 10, 2014
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-10-2014
Doc's Request.
Photo Request (18-02-15)
Nomination.....
18-01-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
24-06-2015 --> SLU 26-06-2015
Med's Done....
27-06-2015 --> Uploaded 30-06-2015 --> TLU 04-07-2015
Passport Req..
Request --> 14-07-15 PP submitted --> 03-08-15
VISA ISSUED...
Received pp with Maple Leaf :)
LANDED..........
Soon...
Hello guys,

Can Anyone guide me from where can I get translation done in Ontario?
Arabic to English?
I have the letter issued by ROP stating my driving exp. but not the translation.

Awaiting a reply.
Thanks.

engrijlal

Sep 30, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2014
File Transfer...
20-11-2014
Med's Request
30-6-2015
Med's Done....
29-7-2015
Passport Req..
18-8-2015
VISA ISSUED...
30-8-2015
LANDED..........
18-03-2016
ciscoccie said:
I will ask my friend and let you know.

karamjeeet

Star Member
Jan 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw, poland
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12dec.2015
Nomination.....
Per 9 March,2015
AOR Received.
21may15
Med's Request
1june15
Med's Done....
9june,2015
Interview........
TLU 19june,,,,,,, DM 15 AUG. 2015
Need advice friends,,

If I knew it correctly a new driver has to wait for 12 months before he can drive alone, my question is if he doesn't purchase or drive car in that 12 months period, even then is he eligible to take test and drive car if he passes the test?