How to Get Canadian Driving License -for Newcomers

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
karamjeeet said:
Need advice friends,,

If I knew it correctly a new driver has to wait for 12 months before he can drive alone, my question is if he doesn't purchase or drive car in that 12 months period, even then is he eligible to take test and drive car if he passes the test?
Yes, there is no obligation to buy a car, take driving lessons or practice your driving during the 12 months.

josal83

Star Member
Sep 16, 2014
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14 Oct 2014
Doc's Request.
21 Aug 2015
Nomination.....
19 Jan 2015 (PER)
AOR Received.
31 Aug 2015 file transfer 19 Jan 2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
Feb 2015 (presuming)
Med's Request
21 Aug 2015
Med's Done....
25 Aug 2015, meds sent 10th Sep
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
14 Sep 2015, recvd by ADVO 30 Sep
VISA ISSUED...
14 Sep 2015, sent back by ADVO 11 Oct
LANDED..........
March 11, 2016
hello!

Anyone from Kuwait? (or Dubai, or anywhere in the Middle East)? Would appreciate knowing how you got a "letter of authentication" stating 12 or 24 months of driving? I have a 10 year Kuwait driving license (I'm Indian) and have been driving in Kuwait for nearly 8 years. Appreciate any advice or help.

thanks!

Hari412

Star Member
Sep 20, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2014
AOR Received.
27-01-2015
IELTS Request
submitted
File Transfer...
12-02-2015
Med's Request
20-03-2015
Med's Done....
1-4-2015, Third Line 11-4-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
12-06-2015
LANDED..........
17-07-2015
Can I submit my 1 year US drivers license and 4 years Indian drivers license to get an Ontario G license?

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hari412 said:
Can I submit my 1 year US drivers license and 4 years Indian drivers license to get an Ontario G license?
http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Exchanging-a-Reciprocal-Licence.aspx

PCJ

May 3, 2014
Hello friends,

I have 3years of driving experience in Oman. As per reading the post I am suppose to get 24months driving experience letter from Oman RTA.

Still I have few doubts please care to reply,

1) Validity period of driving experience letter from Oman and how many test attempts can be made in this period?
2) Can i drive using IDP especially in Alberta and Saskatoon?.
3) which type of license I will be given?

My questions might be very simple but please reply I am suppose to land after 30days.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PCJ said:
Hello friends,

I have 3years of driving experience in Oman. As per reading the post I am suppose to get 24months driving experience letter from Oman RTA.

Still I have few doubts please care to reply,

1) Validity period of driving experience letter from Oman and how many test attempts can be made in this period?
2) Can i drive using IDP especially in Alberta and Saskatoon?.
3) which type of license I will be given?

My questions might be very simple but please reply I am suppose to land after 30days.
1) For the written test, you can make as many attempts as you want to. For the road test, as far as I know, you get to take the advanced road test with 2 years experience and if you pass you get a full license and if you fail, you can still take the basic road test and get a GDL license. A GDL license allows you less demerit points before you lose it and zero blood alcohol.

2) As far as I know, you can in both provinces drive on your foreign license for 3 months after settling. If you are residing in AB, you need an AB license after that and if you are residing in SK, you need an SK license. You can drive in SK on an AB license and vice versa but if you move from one province to the other, you have 3 months to exchange, however no test is needed for that.

3) Depending on which test you pass, you could get a full license or a GDL license.

PCJ

May 3, 2014
Leon said:
1) For the written test, you can make as many attempts as you want to. For the road test, as far as I know, you get to take the advanced road test with 2 years experience and if you pass you get a full license and if you fail, you can still take the basic road test and get a GDL license. A GDL license allows you less demerit points before you lose it and zero blood alcohol.

2) As far as I know, you can in both provinces drive on your foreign license for 3 months after settling. If you are residing in AB, you need an AB license after that and if you are residing in SK, you need an SK license. You can drive in SK on an AB license and vice versa but if you move from one province to the other, you have 3 months to exchange, however no test is needed for that.

3) Depending on which test you pass, you could get a full license or a GDL license.

Hello Leon,

Thank you so much for your reply,

I have one small doubt, in case if I fail then what are the restrictions with basic GDL license and how long would I have to wait to give advanced road test In order to get full license?.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PCJ said:
Hello Leon,

Thank you so much for your reply,

I have one small doubt, in case if I fail then what are the restrictions with basic GDL license and how long would I have to wait to give advanced road test In order to get full license?.
In AB it's normally 2 years on a GDL license before you can take the advanced road test and get a full license. With a GDL license, you can not upgrade to a taxi, truck or bus driver license, you lose your license at 8 demerit points instead of 15 and you are allowed zero blood alcohol level and you may not serve as an accompanying driver to a person who has a learners license. In order to get a full license, you also have to have been suspension free in the 2nd year of your GDL.

In SK the GDL license is called Novice 2. You have to spend 12 months with Novice 2 before you can get a full license there. Also no alcohol, no commercial license, no accompanying a person who is a learner and also no cellphone while driving, not even hands free. Note in SK: Your 12 months in Novice 2 must be free from at-fault collisions, traffic convictions and licence suspensions. If you do have an incident, you must restart the 12 month incident-free period.

atzquebec

Aug 6, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
01-08-2015
Passport Req..
01-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
April 21 2016
mycan said:
Dear Qorax,

I am working in Oman and I have my driving License from 1995 which is Left Hand Drive.
I do have my Indian DL also from past 22 year.
Last time when I was on US / Canada tour I used IDL from Oman and driven the car in both countries.
Please let me know for getting the G2 license in Ontario, can I get IDL and letter from Oman ROP.
Is it valid or I have to get letter from Indian Transport Authority (Right Hand drive) & IDL to get G2 license in Ontario.

What exactly you mean by swapping?
After swapping if I go back to India or Oman can I use the license or Canadian Authorities take away the license?

Please advise.

Regards,
mycan
Mycan,

Did you manage to get that letter from Oman RTA ?

Rai Mazhar Farid Jami

Nov 18, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
Doc's Request.
Pics req 10 Feb, submitted on 16 Feb 2015....Schedule A & PCC request on 29 July2015
Nomination.....
31-12-2014
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
2nd line updated on 29 July 2015
Med's Request
22 January 2016 , RPRF and passport copies
Med's Done....
28 January 2016 and medical received line updated on 12 Feb 2016
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
10 February 2016 submitted on 16 Feb
VISA ISSUED...
11 March 2016
LANDED..........
30-01-2017
Dear all

Any friend who has moved or planning to move to Canada and has obtained " Letter from Traffic Police of Pakistan " regarding driving experience in Pakistan, can you please share the same. Please email same to me at "raijami@yahoo.com"

Thanks in advance.

PCJ

May 3, 2014
Leon said:
In AB it's normally 2 years on a GDL license before you can take the advanced road test and get a full license. With a GDL license, you can not upgrade to a taxi, truck or bus driver license, you lose your license at 8 demerit points instead of 15 and you are allowed zero blood alcohol level and you may not serve as an accompanying driver to a person who has a learners license. In order to get a full license, you also have to have been suspension free in the 2nd year of your GDL.

In SK the GDL license is called Novice 2. You have to spend 12 months with Novice 2 before you can get a full license there. Also no alcohol, no commercial license, no accompanying a person who is a learner and also no cellphone while driving, not even hands free. Note in SK: Your 12 months in Novice 2 must be free from at-fault collisions, traffic convictions and licence suspensions. If you do have an incident, you must restart the 12 month incident-free period.
Hello Leon,

I received the LOC today from Oman RTA. Its dated today, can you please tell me if i want to drive car in Alberta then How many months i can drive and what are the restrictions? I was planning to have some practice before attempting for advanced road.
Please share your views.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PCJ said:
Hello Leon,

I received the LOC today from Oman RTA. Its dated today, can you please tell me if i want to drive car in Alberta then How many months i can drive and what are the restrictions? I was planning to have some practice before attempting for advanced road.
Please share your views.
If you are settling in Alberta, you have 3 months time that you can still drive on your foreign license.

PCJ

May 3, 2014
Leon said:
If you are settling in Alberta, you have 3 months time that you can still drive on your foreign license.
Hello Leon,

Thank you so much for all your replies. My Oman license is in Arabic and English mixed. Is this ok or do I also need to have IDP.
I also have Indian DL.

And Leon bro any advice to search for bacehlors accomodation in Edmonton.

koolbhas88

Jan 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-OCT-2014
AOR Received.
10-FEB-2015
Med's Done....
14-MAR-2016 Upfront
Passport Req..
30-MAR-2016
I have a question. I have a G2 which is valid till 2019. I got this one when I was in Toronto with TRV. Now I am going to land as a PR. Now the SIN number will change, so what should I do. Do I need to apply for new License or only the documents needs to be updated?

mianchd

Star Member
Jun 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys, Need advice on Exchanging Driving Licence in Canada (Ontario).

1) My Wife has a full UAE Driving Licence with 1 year of Driving Experience in UAE.

2) I have full UAE Driving Licence with 1.5 Years of Drivin Experience in UAE.
Also, I hold a Full UK Driving Licence (2.2 Years Old) with no Driving experience in the UK.

We hold Pakistani Passports with Canadian PR.

Can you please advise on the best (quickest) way to get a Full (G) Ontario Driving Licence for both of us.

I would also like to know if any other Canadian province can offer a quicker way to get driving licences for people in our circumstances.