+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*HELP* PGWP EXTENSION UPON PASSPORT RENEWAL (AS PER NOTE)

Joerod

May 23, 2016
Hi all,

So I spoke with a CIC agent today, she said that the application must be a paper application submitted by mail to the office in Vegreville, Alberta. although, you guys mentioned that you submitted an online application and it worked. I would like to know if anyone who applied online has the same situation as mine.

So I am currently on working full-time and my PGWP was issued for a year only not 3 years due to the expiry date of my passport and it expires this coming August.

I am very hesitant to submit an online application as my status is not a student anymore. So I am not sure if I still can answer the question in the same manner I did last year when I graduated.

Can someone advice if it is safe to apply online or not ? What would happen if you get rejected because you're not supposed to submit an online application ?

Thanks,

danlb34

Star Member
Feb 16, 2018
Hi there. I believe that if your application be rejected it won't affect your current work permit (it would keep valid). So you would be able to re-apply for extension through a paper application. The great problem looks to be in the case of your WP become expired before you be able to re-apply for extension.

I'm in similar situation. I did a paper application about 2 weeks ago, and I also called CIC asking about the correct way for extension (paper) and what would happen if somehow the paper application be rejected. Reading the forum, I saw cases of success and fail through online application, so I believe you paper is more safe (you can try flagpole too, some people were successful this way as well).

mhkash

Nov 11, 2017
Hi there. I believe that if your application be rejected it won't affect your current work permit (it would keep valid). So you would be able to re-apply for extension through a paper application. The great problem looks to be in the case of your WP become expired before you be able to re-apply for extension.

I'm in similar situation. I did a paper application about 2 weeks ago, and I also called CIC asking about the correct way for extension (paper) and what would happen if somehow the paper application be rejected. Reading the forum, I saw cases of success and fail through online application, so I believe you paper is more safe (you can try flagpole too, some people were successful this way as well).
Hi, I have a question,
Do we need LMIA or offer letter to extend our PGWP? did you include this document?
Thanks for your advice.

danlb34

Star Member
Feb 16, 2018
Hi, I have a question,
Do we need LMIA or offer letter to extend our PGWP? did you include this document?
Thanks for your advice.
Hi there,
I didn't include these documents, they are not necessary for PGWP extension (in the case that you are asking an extension because you received less time than you would be able to get because of your old passport expiry date, and now you have a new passport).
The 'extension' is basically the same application that you did the first time you applied for PGWP (you use the same documents, just paying attention to add your new passport number in the imm5710 and other little details, plus the letter of explanation to tell why you're asking for extension).
There's a good tutorial at page 1, I think it's the second post (I followed what's written there).
You can find the application package here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html

Last edited:

mhkash

Nov 11, 2017
Hi there,
Check with your embassy/the high commission of your home country in Canada so yoy can get the passport renewed.
Your embassy will ususally charge a fee but they should be ableto process this within 2 weeks or less

If you have completed this step, check the cic website: to extend work permit
yes you will be required to pay a fee: $155
but if you want it to be open and not limited to the same employer, pay $100 extra.

Now here's the tricky bit:
Do the Questionnaire on the cic page ad try to submit your application online( this is faster)
if you get through successfully, please let us know what steps you took.
If not, apply via the paper route to the office in Vegreville, Alberta:
pls see relevant info below

To all people, who are in same situation. Following is the process explained that helped me get my PGWP for remaining 2 Years.

1. Write a Request Letter (Very Important)-
I used this template when applying for extension.

2. Make sure, you pay the PGWP application fee as well as $100 additional fees before you send your application.

3. You have to send your documents to "Unit 555" not Unit 202.

4. Overall Processing time for my entire application was 4 months.

5. Application Kit:

a. Document Checklist: Required

1. Tick following options under ALL APPLICANTS: IMM5710, IMM5556.
2. Tick following options under WORK PERMIT: Passport, Current Immigration Document.

b. IMM5710: Required

Answers for some important questions:

1. I am applying for one or more of the following:
* An Initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer
2. Under "Details of Intended Work in Canada" Section,
Select What type of work permit are you applying for: Post Graduation Work Permit
Leave all other sections blank.
3. Under "Employment" section,
Mention your current work experience in first box. It's enough.
4. Under "Background Information",
Select "Yes" for "Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?".
Add following line in box "*d)".
APPLIED FOR POST GRADUATION WORK PERMIT ON "Old PGWP Date". PERMIT ISSUED WITH VALIDITY UPTO "PGWP Expiry Date".

c. Attach photocopy of first page, last page of your Passport, PGWP and Official Receipt.

6. Use the fastest possible delivery service, I used Canada Post from Toronto. They charged me $55 and took 3 days to deliver the package to Vegreville.

Pls let us know how your processing goes if you have any loopholes in the process.
Thanks
Hi, the forms you are referring to are for extension of open work permits for example IMM5556, while I read in other posts that some people applied for extension of PGWP on paper and submitted all the required documents for PGWP for example IMM5583, like their initial PGWP. Please see the link below:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/passport-expires-before-3-years-of-pgwp-extend-pgwp-experience.487264/

I was wondering which approach is correct?

mhkash

Nov 11, 2017
Hi there,
I didn't include these documents, they are not necessary for PGWP.
The 'extension' is basically the same application that you did the first time you applied for PGWP (you use the same documents, just paying attention to add your new passport number in the imm5710 and other little details, plus the letter of explanation to tell why you're asking for extension).
There's a good tutorial at page 1, I think it's the second post (I followed what's written there).
You can find the application package here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html
Thanks for your quick response. The application package you are referring to is different from that for PGWP. I think this is the link for PGWP:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-apply-work-permit-student-guide.html
You mean we need to submit the letter of completion of study and other required documents for PGWP, or we need to provide the required documents for extension of open work permit like offer letter? Thanks for clarification.

danlb34

Star Member
Feb 16, 2018
Hi, the forms you are referring to are for extension of open work permits for example IMM5556, while I read in other posts that some people applied for extension of PGWP on paper and submitted all the required documents for PGWP for example IMM5583, like their initial PGWP. Please see the link below:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/passport-expires-before-3-years-of-pgwp-extend-pgwp-experience.487264/

I was wondering which approach is correct?
Hi there,
That link with the application package was sent to me by the CIC agent (I called them to ask the proper way to do the extension).
Anyway, what I sent as a paper application was:
1)forms: imm5556e, imm 5710e.
2)Letter of Explanation
3)Photocopies: current work permit, old passport, new passport, student permit, coop work permit (in my case I had it).
4)final transcript + School Letter (telling that I graduate in a 2 years college program...).
5)Payment receipt (work permit + open work permit = 255)**.
6)Extra (I believe are not necessary, but just in case): picture, imm5707e

Last edited:

danlb34

Star Member
Feb 16, 2018
Thanks for your quick response. The application package you are referring to is different from that for PGWP. I think this is the link for PGWP:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-apply-work-permit-student-guide.html
You mean we need to submit the letter of completion of study and other required documents for PGWP, or we need to provide the required documents for extension of open work permit like offer letter? Thanks for clarification.
Hi there, the application packages are not the same. However, the only document that's is different is the one for Document Checklist (imm5556 and imm5583). The other documents are the same (they both use the imm5710 that is the most important and complex in terms of filling).

For PGWP extension you need to submit basically the same documents you submit the first time you applied for it (In my previous answer I listed the documents I submit).

As the first time you applied for pgwp, you don't need a job offer letter. I'm supposing you will ask for an extension because you got a lower pgwp duration due an old passport (and now you have a new passport). If it's not the case, I'm not sure how to do the extension.

Last edited:

mhkash

Nov 11, 2017
Hi there,
That link with the application package was sent to me by the CIC agent (I called them to ask the proper way to do the extension).
Anyway, what I sent as a paper application was:
1)forms: imm5556e, imm 5710e.
2)Letter of Explanation
3)Photocopies: current work permit, old passport, new passport, student permit, coop work permit (in my case I had it).
4)final transcript + School Letter (telling that I graduate in a 2 years college program...).
5)Payment receipt (work permit + open work permit = 255)**.
6)Extra (I believe are not necessary, but just in case): picture, imm5707e
Thanks for your clarification. you mentioned in your first response to me that basically the documents are the same as initial PGWP, this sentence led to my misunderstanding.
Regarding the address, should I mail to unit 202 or 555?

danlb34

Star Member
Feb 16, 2018
Thanks for your clarification. you mentioned in your first response to me that basically the documents are the same as initial PGWP, this sentence led to my misunderstanding.
Regarding the address, should I mail to unit 202 or 555?
They are basically the same because you use again the imm5710 (plus final transcript, school letter, and photocopies of passport/study permit/etc...). The only difference is the document checklist.

The correct address is 555. You can take the complete address from here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html#5553E7

Last edited:

The_baradia

May 30, 2018
I had applied for PGWP extention after i renewed my passport on April 25,2018 by mail. I haven't heard back from CIC nor i can track my application online. Is something wrong here or this happens with most of us. Will appreciate all the help.

Rodrigo Ramos

Jun 26, 2018
In my case, my wife's passport is the one expiring. But I didn't any info about it. Someone know if in this case, I should apply the same I did on my PGWP but only for her extension or should I apply everything together again, once her VISA is connected to mine?

cakecake

Jul 13, 2018
hi everyone, I have the same situation about the work permit. I ask a consulting agent one needs to pay $300, other is pay $1000. I think is too expensive. I want to know it is an easier case can be handled by myself, or its a complex case that needs an agent? Will appreciate all the help.

qaplaza

Jul 14, 2018
Hey,

I applied online to extend my PGWP, and I got approved without any issues! You are pretty much following the same procedure as when you were applying for your initial PGWP. Choose "Student" and not "Worker", then you will get through the checklist.
Hello.

I wonder if you can give me an advise on my situation. My student visa is expires May 2020 same month and year my passport expires. Should I renew my passport first before applying for PGWP? But it says the requirement for PGWP application is a valid study permit. If I renew my passport then my student visa which is linked to my passport details will also be invalid. Can I still proceed with the PGWP application?

idk.dr

Jul 24, 2018
Hello.

I wonder if you can give me an advise on my situation. My student visa is expires May 2020 same month and year my passport expires. Should I renew my passport first before applying for PGWP? But it says the requirement for PGWP application is a valid study permit. If I renew my passport then my student visa which is linked to my passport details will also be invalid. Can I still proceed with the PGWP application?
hi there, I just have the same issue. I got the PGWP only for 3 months because of my passport expires in September.
I already have my new passport and I went back to the college today to ask the international adviser about what to do in this situation.
She said I only can apply on paper ( no online applications) and its gonna take like 6 months :D but she said its okay, im fine and I still can work while Im waiting for the respond.
Also my PGWP says that if I renew my passport I get until 2021, july 14 so I assume its okay if the new applicatin is in progress.

Im gonna apply soon i just need to collect every form I will need. The advisor said only the old and new passport, and the PGWP form and an explanation letter. Also make sure the fees are paid.