+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*HELP* PGWP EXTENSION UPON PASSPORT RENEWAL (AS PER NOTE)

rcpp

Star Member
Jan 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
Passport Req..
27-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-07-2014
Waynebrown said:
Hi Rcpp,

I am just curious, do u know of anyone else who has applied for their PGWP extension online other than yourself and got approve. I am just nervous about submitting it online.

Thanks
Hi Waynebrown,

Yes, yashshah0809 above submitted his application online and got approved. There's nothing to worry about as long as you submit the right documents: letter of explanation (explain why you're extending and why you're applying online), old passport copies, previous study and work permits, educational documents (I combined my transcript, diploma, and completion of studies letter, and uploaded them under "completion of studies"). Also see yashshah's post below:

"After doing thorough online research and speaking to CIC agent, I submitted an online application for PGWP Extension due to passport expiry. I submitted my application on July 6, 2016 and received a positive response on July 21, 2016 receiving the pending 2 years + of the 3 years.

So all you need to do to apply is:
Fill out the questionnaire in the same manner as you would have done it for the initial PGWP application.
Add a letter of explanation with your current work permit, old passport and other educational documents.
Also attach your new passport and fill up the IMM form in the similar fashion.
Only in the section "Have you previously applied to remain in Canada", you need to write an explanation mentioning Work Permit was issued till passport expiry, have renewed my passport for further extensions.

Let me know if you have any questions."

Thanks

Reactions: Karliverits

correttoalia

Mar 1, 2017
rcpp said:
Hi Waynebrown,

Yes, yashshah0809 above submitted his application online and got approved. There's nothing to worry about as long as you submit the right documents: letter of explanation (explain why you're extending and why you're applying online), old passport copies, previous study and work permits, educational documents (I combined my transcript, diploma, and completion of studies letter, and uploaded them under "completion of studies"). Also see yashshah's post below:

"After doing thorough online research and speaking to CIC agent, I submitted an online application for PGWP Extension due to passport expiry. I submitted my application on July 6, 2016 and received a positive response on July 21, 2016 receiving the pending 2 years + of the 3 years.

So all you need to do to apply is:
Fill out the questionnaire in the same manner as you would have done it for the initial PGWP application.
Add a letter of explanation with your current work permit, old passport and other educational documents.
Also attach your new passport and fill up the IMM form in the similar fashion.
Only in the section "Have you previously applied to remain in Canada", you need to write an explanation mentioning Work Permit was issued till passport expiry, have renewed my passport for further extensions.

Let me know if you have any questions."

Thanks
Hi Rccp,
just a quick question, did you pay the application fee $255 again?

rcpp

Star Member
Jan 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
Passport Req..
27-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-07-2014
correttoalia said:
Hi Rccp,
just a quick question, did you pay the application fee $255 again?
Yes, I did.

Fherz

Mar 13, 2017
Hi all,

So I spoke with a CIC agent today, she said that the application must be a paper application submitted by mail to the office in Vegreville, Alberta. although, you guys mentioned that you submitted an online application and it worked. I would like to know if anyone who applied online has the same situation as mine.

So I am currently on working full-time and my PGWP was issued for a year only not 3 years due to the expiry date of my passport and it expires this coming August.

I am very hesitant to submit an online application as my status is not a student anymore. So I am not sure if I still can answer the question in the same manner I did last year when I graduated.

Can someone advice if it is safe to apply online or not ? What would happen if you get rejected because you're not supposed to submit an online application ?

Thanks,

shimmy_xx

Aug 8, 2015
rcpp said:
Hey bhatia,

Yes, I did! Follow the same steps/procedures when you first applied for your PGWP. Just make sure you include all the necessary information proving that you are extending your PGWP - an explanation letter, and/or even a copy of your old passport's information page.

If you need any help, just let me know! :)
hi rcpp,

I just received my pgwp this week same with my new passport. When would it be possible to reapply for the wp extension and how about the medical certificate did you submit that again? because mine is already expired last week.

rcpp

Star Member
Jan 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
Passport Req..
27-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-07-2014
shimmy_xx said:
hi rcpp,

I just received my pgwp this week same with my new passport. When would it be possible to reapply for the wp extension and how about the medical certificate did you submit that again? because mine is already expired last week.
Hi shimmy,

You can reapply as soon as you can, and latest would be minimum a month before your current PGWP expires. For the medical certificate, I did not have to submit one when I applied because it was not on my requirements. Did you submit that in your PGWP application, and if yes, is it because you work/studied in a medical related course?

bhandariji

Mar 4, 2014
rcpp said:
Hi shimmy,

You can reapply as soon as you can, and latest would be minimum a month before your current PGWP expires. For the medical certificate, I did not have to submit one when I applied because it was not on my requirements. Did you submit that in your PGWP application, and if yes, is it because you work/studied in a medical related course?
Hi rcpp,

Can you please share the letter of explanation you uploaded on the CIC site?

This would be a great help.

Also, do we need to scan all the stamps from old passport? or just the first and last page of old Passport?

Any update would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

CHANNO

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
rcpp said:
Hey bhatia,

Yes, I did! Follow the same steps/procedures when you first applied for your PGWP. Just make sure you include all the necessary information proving that you are extending your PGWP - an explanation letter, and/or even a copy of your old passport's information page.

If you need any help, just let me know! :)
Hi,

I got my PGWP for two years but I think it should be for three years as I did diploma for two years. I think, they issued PGWP till passport expiry but they have not mentioned any regarding passport expiry on PGWP. Can I get further extension, please advise.

regards,

Channo

bibu

May 5, 2017
For some reason, I am not able to apply online. I keep getting this error message "Your status expiry date in the answer you provided previously does not correspond to the Restoration in your form. Modify your answers or the value in your form". I have looked at all of my dates and they look right and corresponds.

Is anyone experiencing related issues? Thanks for your responses.

rahman2

Star Member
Feb 15, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2016
Nomination.....
06-09-2016
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
Hi all,

So I spoke with a CIC agent today, she said that the application must be a paper application submitted by mail to the office in Vegreville, Alberta. although, you guys mentioned that you submitted an online application and it worked. I would like to know if anyone who applied online has the same situation as mine.

So I am currently on working full-time and my PGWP was issued for a year only not 3 years due to the expiry date of my passport and it expires this coming August.

I am very hesitant to submit an online application as my status is not a student anymore. So I am not sure if I still can answer the question in the same manner I did last year when I graduated.

Can someone advice if it is safe to apply online or not ? What would happen if you get rejected because you're not supposed to submit an online application ?

Thanks,
I applied online on march 14 and My cic account has been updated today that my pgwp application has been approved.
so i would say it's okay to apply online.

make sure you write a letter of explanation and explain your situation why you applied for extension.

Varun84

Oct 21, 2016
Hi All,

Need your advise. Here's my situation:
- I was issued a PGWP in 2015, valid for 3 years - till October 2018
- However, my passport was expiring in Dec 2017 so the Worker Visa was valid only till Dec 2017
- I recently got my passport renewed
- I have also applied for my PR under CEC and apprised CIC regarding my updated passport

In summary, my work permit was valid for 3 years, but my work visa is expiring in December 2017. So do I still need to apply for a work permit extension? Do I need to go through some other route?

Thanks for your help guys. Any advise/suggestions much appreciated.

Did CIC ask for your passports as well for a new Visa once your work permit extension request was approved?

Cheers
Varun

Last edited:

bibu

May 5, 2017
For some reason, I am not able to apply online. I keep getting this error message "Your status expiry date in the answer you provided previously does not correspond to the Restoration in your form. Modify your answers or the value in your form". I have looked at all of my dates and they look right and corresponds.

Hello,

Can anyone put me through my request above? I have started all over several times but the error message remains the same. I do not know if this is a technical glitch or there is something I am doing wrong.

Stressedgirl

Star Member
Oct 13, 2015
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All. I have been in a rather unfortunate and complicated situation. I graduated last year and then applied for PGWP which I got for one year because of the similar issue you all had: my passport was expiring. I called CIC then and they explained me that I can apply for a renewal after getting my passport renewed. So, on 10th March 2017, I applied for extension of work permit online. I called CIC before applying and they gave me the form 5710E and the link. When I opened the link, it said right on top, 'click here to check if you are eligible to apply online'. So I applied online with all the documentation, my old passport and my degree and also a letter of explaination why i want the extension. I was still workng at my job, hoping it shouldnt be a problem. But then something unfortunate happened. I got a reply on 23rd April night saying my work permit has been refused because I dont fulfill the requirements and I am out of status. They didnt ask me to leave the country. I was devasted. I had also applied for PR in feburary on basis on PNP(ontario).
Sadly, I called CIC next day and asked why there was rejection, since all my documents were complete. They told me I was supposed to apply pn paper. That WAS THE SOLE REASON FOR REFUSAL. I was outraged. I work in IT department and that link said I can apply online as well. They also told me that since I have no status I cannot work and must reapply for restoration and extension via paper application. I took legal advice as well, and the lawyer told the same thing. So within a day I was jobless, totally shocked what has happened. I applied on May 3rd again via paper application. They said the processing time is 4 months. My employer sent me on unpaid leave but they said if I dont hear back in June, they will hire someone else. I dont have enough for rent and I am confused. When I call CIC they tell, that my application has not even gotten a file number so I am not yet in their system yet and I really dont know what I am supposed to do. I am clueless and jobless, and soon will be penniless. I really want to know if someone had a similar situation or any suggestions for me? Something to expediate the process. I am really stressed and desperate here. :(

m_garcia

Jun 25, 2017
Hi all,

Thanks,

Hi there,

I did spoke with an agent at IRCC today and he said that the application can be submitted on line by selecting open working permit. I kind of confuse with this process Im in the same situation as the rest here.

Can you please advise which way is the best to apply? Did you finally submitted your application on line as the first time you applied for your PGWP or did you send your application on paper to Alberta?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

parth278

Jun 29, 2017
Hi rcpp,

Can you please share the letter of explanation you uploaded on the CIC site?

This would be a great help.

Also, do we need to scan all the stamps from old passport? or just the first and last page of old Passport?

Any update would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
hello sir,

can you please share me you letter of explanation, as i am in same situation.