+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*HELP* PGWP EXTENSION UPON PASSPORT RENEWAL (AS PER NOTE)

frustrated121

Oct 22, 2015
Hello all! Can some one please provide me with clear instructions on how to apply for a postgraduate work permit extension.
PLEASE NOTE: I was only given a PGWP for 8 months due to the expiry date of my passport. My PGWP states below under notes: further extensions upon passport renewal.

I have scanned the CIC website high and low for information that fits my needs but cant seem to find any. Ive tried calling CIC but didn't get the info I wanted or atleast I dont feel secure enough. The lady emailed me a 5710E form.

Questions:
1) Do I have to pay a fee? If so how much and how?
2) Is it "MAIL" Only, is there no way to do this online? I'm guessing CIC isn't set up for such extensions online?
3) Do i have to provide some kind of letter of explanation?
4) What else do I need to know/do?

Any help would be great! Looking for someone who was in a similar situation to help or provide with info! Please and thanks!

What to do?

May 17, 2016
Hi there,
Check with your embassy/the high commission of your home country in Canada so yoy can get the passport renewed.
Your embassy will ususally charge a fee but they should be ableto process this within 2 weeks or less

If you have completed this step, check the cic website: to extend work permit
yes you will be required to pay a fee: $155
but if you want it to be open and not limited to the same employer, pay $100 extra.

Now here's the tricky bit:
Do the Questionnaire on the cic page ad try to submit your application online( this is faster)
if you get through successfully, please let us know what steps you took.
If not, apply via the paper route to the office in Vegreville, Alberta:
pls see relevant info below

To all people, who are in same situation. Following is the process explained that helped me get my PGWP for remaining 2 Years.

1. Write a Request Letter (Very Important)-
I used this template when applying for extension.

2. Make sure, you pay the PGWP application fee as well as $100 additional fees before you send your application.

3. You have to send your documents to "Unit 555" not Unit 202.

4. Overall Processing time for my entire application was 4 months.

5. Application Kit:

a. Document Checklist: Required

1. Tick following options under ALL APPLICANTS: IMM5710, IMM5556.
2. Tick following options under WORK PERMIT: Passport, Current Immigration Document.

b. IMM5710: Required

Answers for some important questions:

1. I am applying for one or more of the following:
* An Initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer
2. Under "Details of Intended Work in Canada" Section,
Select What type of work permit are you applying for: Post Graduation Work Permit
Leave all other sections blank.
3. Under "Employment" section,
Mention your current work experience in first box. It's enough.
4. Under "Background Information",
Select "Yes" for "Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?".
Add following line in box "*d)".
APPLIED FOR POST GRADUATION WORK PERMIT ON "Old PGWP Date". PERMIT ISSUED WITH VALIDITY UPTO "PGWP Expiry Date".

c. Attach photocopy of first page, last page of your Passport, PGWP and Official Receipt.

6. Use the fastest possible delivery service, I used Canada Post from Toronto. They charged me $55 and took 3 days to deliver the package to Vegreville.

Pls let us know how your processing goes if you have any loopholes in the process.
Thanks

Reactions: amanj96 and danlb34

choprakart

Star Member
Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
My PGWP expires end of June next month as per my old passport expiry.
My express entry application is still in process - I have applied under Inland FSW, Jan 21st 2016 AOR

Ideally my PGWP shud have been till Mar 2017.

Now as per the instructions above, I tried the Come to Canada wizard and it says I need LMIA to apply for work permit else I am not eligible.

What do I do?

cussyandrew

Feb 13, 2012
Islamabad
Visa Office......
CHC Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-12-2011
IELTS Request
waived
Med's Request
23-07-2012
Med's Done....
01-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2012
LANDED..........
14-09-2012
What to do? said:
Hi there,
Check with your embassy/the high commission of your home country in Canada so yoy can get the passport renewed.
Your embassy will ususally charge a fee but they should be ableto process this within 2 weeks or less

If you have completed this step, check the cic website: to extend work permit
yes you will be required to pay a fee: $155
but if you want it to be open and not limited to the same employer, pay $100 extra.

Now here's the tricky bit:
Do the Questionnaire on the cic page ad try to submit your application online( this is faster)
if you get through successfully, please let us know what steps you took.
If not, apply via the paper route to the office in Vegreville, Alberta:
pls see relevant info below

To all people, who are in same situation. Following is the process explained that helped me get my PGWP for remaining 2 Years.

1. Write a Request Letter (Very Important)-
I used this template when applying for extension.

2. Make sure, you pay the PGWP application fee as well as $100 additional fees before you send your application.

3. You have to send your documents to "Unit 555" not Unit 202.

4. Overall Processing time for my entire application was 4 months.

5. Application Kit:

a. Document Checklist: Required

1. Tick following options under ALL APPLICANTS: IMM5710, IMM5556.
2. Tick following options under WORK PERMIT: Passport, Current Immigration Document.

b. IMM5710: Required

Answers for some important questions:

1. I am applying for one or more of the following:
* An Initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer
2. Under "Details of Intended Work in Canada" Section,
Select What type of work permit are you applying for: Post Graduation Work Permit
Leave all other sections blank.
3. Under "Employment" section,
Mention your current work experience in first box. It's enough.
4. Under "Background Information",
Select "Yes" for "Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?".
Add following line in box "*d)".
APPLIED FOR POST GRADUATION WORK PERMIT ON "Old PGWP Date". PERMIT ISSUED WITH VALIDITY UPTO "PGWP Expiry Date".

c. Attach photocopy of first page, last page of your Passport, PGWP and Official Receipt.

6. Use the fastest possible delivery service, I used Canada Post from Toronto. They charged me $55 and took 3 days to deliver the package to Vegreville.

Pls let us know how your processing goes if you have any loopholes in the process.
Thanks

What is the request letter template you are referring to?

yashshah0809

May 27, 2016
After doing thorough online research and speaking to CIC agent, I submitted an online application for PGWP Extension due to passport expiry. I submitted my application on July 6, 2016 and received a positive response on July 21, 2016 receiving the pending 2 years + of the 3 years.

So all you need to do to apply is:
Fill out the questionnaire in the same manner as you would have done it for the initial PGWP application.
Add a letter of explanation with your current work permit, old passport and other educational documents.
Also attach your new passport and fill up the IMM form in the similar fashion.
Only in the section "Have you previously applied to remain in Canada", you need to write an explanation mentioning Work Permit was issued till passport expiry, have renewed my passport for further extensions.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Afi_at

Aug 28, 2016
Hi Yash,

Did you apply for the PGWP extension online? If so How did you submit the IMM5710 E form? Can you provide me with any sort of link?

rcpp

Star Member
Jan 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
Passport Req..
27-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-07-2014
yashshah0809 said:
After doing thorough online research and speaking to CIC agent, I submitted an online application for PGWP Extension due to passport expiry. I submitted my application on July 6, 2016 and received a positive response on July 21, 2016 receiving the pending 2 years + of the 3 years.

Fill out the questionnaire in the same manner as you would have done it for the initial PGWP application.
Add a letter of explanation with your current work permit, old passport and other educational documents.
Only in the section "Have you previously applied to remain in Canada", you need to write an explanation mentioning Work Permit was issued till passport expiry, have renewed my passport for further extensions.

Hey! With what you've said, it seems like it's possible to apply for a PGWP extension without having any trouble. When you said "would have done it for the initial PGWP application.", do you mean selecting "Student" in the "what is your current immigration status in Canada?"

Thanks and looking forward to your response.

ravdawg

Star Member
Oct 7, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yashshah0809 said:

Can you please elaborate on how you extended the PGWP online?? Much prefer to do it online rather than paper.

bhatia7990

Jan 11, 2017
rcpp said:
Hey! With what you've said, it seems like it's possible to apply for a PGWP extension without having any trouble. When you said "would have done it for the initial PGWP application.", do you mean selecting "Student" in the "what is your current immigration status in Canada?"

Thanks and looking forward to your response.
Hey rccp,
Can you please verify if you selected your current status as student when you we going to check the eligibility. Any updats is apprecaited.
Thanks.

rcpp

Star Member
Jan 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
Passport Req..
27-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-07-2014
ravdawg said:
Can you please elaborate on how you extended the PGWP online?? Much prefer to do it online rather than paper.
Hey,

I applied online to extend my PGWP, and I got approved without any issues! You are pretty much following the same procedure as when you were applying for your initial PGWP. Choose "Student" and not "Worker", then you will get through the checklist.

rcpp

Star Member
Jan 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
Passport Req..
27-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-07-2014
bhatia7990 said:
Hey rccp,
Can you please verify if you selected your current status as student when you we going to check the eligibility. Any updats is apprecaited.
Thanks.
Hey bhatia,

Yes, I did! Follow the same steps/procedures when you first applied for your PGWP. Just make sure you include all the necessary information proving that you are extending your PGWP - an explanation letter, and/or even a copy of your old passport's information page.

If you need any help, just let me know! :)

drajay

Oct 8, 2015
I wish I knew about this earlier. Never thought about selecting 'student'!

I applied by mail and am still waiting. It's been a month now. I'm sure that it's going to take another 3-4 months!

Waynebrown

Oct 14, 2012
Hi Rcpp,

I am just curious, do u know of anyone else who has applied for their PGWP extension online other than yourself and got approve. I am just nervous about submitting it online.

Thanks

Reactions: Karliverits

anzee84

Star Member
Jan 22, 2017
Saskatchewan
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yashshah0809 said:

Can you or anyone share the explanation letter please as I have to apply for my remaining period. Thanks