+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*HELP* PGWP EXTENSION UPON PASSPORT RENEWAL (AS PER NOTE)

easider

Dec 1, 2017
Hi shimmy,

You can reapply as soon as you can, and latest would be minimum a month before your current PGWP expires. For the medical certificate, I did not have to submit one when I applied because it was not on my requirements. Did you submit that in your PGWP application, and if yes, is it because you work/studied in a medical related course?
Hi, if my PGWP is expired. can i still apply for the remaining period of PGWP? I was also issued due to Passport Expiry. But my passport hasnt arrived yet and PGWP expires in Feb

easider

Dec 1, 2017
Guys, Please note! I extended my post graduate work permit completely free. I went to the US border and came back to canada. The officer didn't ask for a fee and the process was very easy. I just brought my passports and my current work permit and past study permit plus my graduation letter ( which I think he didnt take a look at).

Anyways, if you go to the border for extension due to passport expiration date, they won't ask for a fee (based on my experience)

Good luck!

Hi,

was your PGWP close to expiry? Did you bring any job letters or so?

Thanks for your time.

Eason

Jenna123

Dec 12, 2017
I will have to check but I called them last year and they gave me a link. So that said I can apply but never said they will issue a work permit on that behalf
Hi,

When did you call the CIC? Can you share the link they gave you with us? When submitting your application, did you attach your letter of job offer? I'm wondering if that would make a difference in why your application was rejected.

bdm90

Dec 6, 2017
Hi Waynebrown,

Yes, yashshah0809 above submitted his application online and got approved. There's nothing to worry about as long as you submit the right documents: letter of explanation (explain why you're extending and why you're applying online), old passport copies, previous study and work permits, educational documents (I combined my transcript, diploma, and completion of studies letter, and uploaded them under "completion of studies"). Also see yashshah's post below:

"After doing thorough online research and speaking to CIC agent, I submitted an online application for PGWP Extension due to passport expiry. I submitted my application on July 6, 2016 and received a positive response on July 21, 2016 receiving the pending 2 years + of the 3 years.

So all you need to do to apply is:
Fill out the questionnaire in the same manner as you would have done it for the initial PGWP application.
Add a letter of explanation with your current work permit, old passport and other educational documents.
Also attach your new passport and fill up the IMM form in the similar fashion.
Only in the section "Have you previously applied to remain in Canada", you need to write an explanation mentioning Work Permit was issued till passport expiry, have renewed my passport for further extensions.

Let me know if you have any questions."

Thanks
Hi Rccp,

I have a question regarding the IMM5710E form.

In the current status - did you put student or worker? You would have to put worker since the dates of your student permit would have expired by now and that would mean the form won't get validated. Can you please clarify what you did?

bdm90

Dec 6, 2017
Any one who reapplied do thwy have copy of imm5710 with them

Please share with me at avinashsharma2010@outlook.com

I am confused in some of the options whicah i wanna make sure before i apply

1 i.e status student but if i put my last student permit expiry it wont take it because of it should be after todays date

2. Last ten years of work

I have not work at any place what can be done
I am not able to leave it blank
Hi Avinash,

Did you apply online? What did you end up doing for those two above mentioned issues, I have the same problem.

Please give me an update so I can proceed with my online application.

Nima365

Jan 11, 2018
Guys, Please note! I extended my post graduate work permit completely free. I went to the US border and came back to canada. The officer didn't ask for a fee and the process was very easy. I just brought my passports and my current work permit and past study permit plus my graduation letter ( which I think he didnt take a look at).

Anyways, if you go to the border for extension due to passport expiration date, they won't ask for a fee (based on my experience)

Good luck!
Hi
Could you please tell us which border did you go since I want a couple of days ago but the officer said it is not possible!!! Thanks

mak4visa

Feb 3, 2018
Hi
Could you please tell us which border did you go since I want a couple of days ago but the officer said it is not possible!!! Thanks
Hi, I have been following this thread since my PGWP was issued until the date of expiry and there was still one year pending. You can do this online selecting yourself as a student but that would have a fee of $255 and wait time of 2-3 months. I simply went to the nearest border and they were able to do it within 10 minutes without any fee.

danlb34

Star Member
Feb 16, 2018
Hi, I have been following this thread since my PGWP was issued until the date of expiry and there was still one year pending. You can do this online selecting yourself as a student but that would have a fee of $255 and wait time of 2-3 months. I simply went to the nearest border and they were able to do it within 10 minutes without any fee.
Hi. Did u have a remark in your work permit saying that you could extend the pgwp? In the form that you used (probably IMM5710E) what was the duration of work that you put? The same initial and final date (from - to) or different?

I have to extend my pgwp too. It doesn't have a remark saying that I can extend or that the work permit was issued until passport expire date, but the work permit expiry date it's exactly the same as my old passport (17-March-2019), and my college program was 28 months eligible for 3 years(all my classmates got 3 years for their pgwp, while I got until march 2019 in a total of 20 months).

Last edited:

mak4visa

Feb 3, 2018
Hi. Did u have a remark in your work permit saying that you could extend the pgwp? In the form that you used (probably IMM5710E) what was the duration of work that you put? The same initial and final date (from - to) or different?

I have to extend my pgwp too. I doesn't have a remark saying that I can extend or that the work permit was issued until passport expire date, but the work permit expiry date it's exactly the same as my old passport (17-March-2019), and my college program was 28 months eligible for 3 years(all my classmates got 3 years for their pgwp, while I got until march 2019 in a total of 20 months).
I did not fill any form may be initially when I had filled out for the first time. Duration of work was temporarily more than 6 months.
No, my work permit did not state anything about the extension or something like issued for lesser time than required due to passport expiry.
You still have permit valid until March 2019 so, I would go to the border in February 2019 and just ask for an extension. They can access your profile online which has attached notes mentioning the duration you were supposed to get and the duration you were allowed for. It took me 15 minutes to get a new permit than waiting for 2 months online.

Reactions: danlb34

danlb34

Star Member
Feb 16, 2018
I did not fill any form may be initially when I had filled out for the first time. Duration of work was temporarily more than 6 months.
No, my work permit did not state anything about the extension or something like issued for lesser time than required due to passport expiry.
You still have permit valid until March 2019 so, I would go to the border in February 2019 and just ask for an extension. They can access your profile online which has attached notes mentioning the duration you were supposed to get and the duration you were allowed for. It took me 15 minutes to get a new permit than waiting for 2 months online.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'll do it as soon my new passport comes by mail (probably next week).
I just not understand why some officials put a 'remark' and others don't (they should all follow the same standard). Anyways, thanks again.

mak4visa

Feb 3, 2018
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'll do it as soon my new passport comes by mail (probably next week).
I just not understand why some officials put a 'remark' and others don't (they should all follow the same standard). Anyways, thanks again.
I dont think so they put remarks on the work permit itself. It is clearly mentioned on the website and you are entitled to the 3 years. Good luck!

Reactions: danlb34

zzeinab

Feb 15, 2018
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
18-12-2016
Med's Request
18-12-2017
Med's Done....
28-12-2017
Hi guys,

I have a question regarding my WP extension. I have two following choices. Which one is the best?

1) extension of my PGWP for only 4 months :(
2) extension through OWP but it would be limited to ON. Because I have applied through ON PNP but I have moved to Alberta temporarily and I can not work in AB :(

I am so stressed. Is it possible to apply for OWP and ask them to issue OWP for two provinces?

mak4visa

Feb 3, 2018
Hi guys,

I have a question regarding my WP extension. I have two following choices. Which one is the best?

1) extension of my PGWP for only 4 months :(
2) extension through OWP but it would be limited to ON. Because I have applied through ON PNP but I have moved to Alberta temporarily and I can not work in AB :(

I am so stressed. Is it possible to apply for OWP and ask them to issue OWP for two provinces?
Well, if you had applied for your PNP, it is done through your current employer. If you have moved and found a new job, you would need to update/cancel your PNP and apply from Alberta.

You can extend it for 4 months, within that time, you should be able to receive your PNP and file your PR. Immediately right now, you can request the PNP office to give you a work permit support letter which you will use to extend your work permit after 4 months.

zzeinab

Feb 15, 2018
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
18-12-2016
Med's Request
18-12-2017
Med's Done....
28-12-2017
Well, if you had applied for your PNP, it is done through your current employer. If you have moved and found a new job, you would need to update/cancel your PNP and apply from Alberta.

You can extend it for 4 months, within that time, you should be able to receive your PNP and file your PR. Immediately right now, you can request the PNP office to give you a work permit support letter which you will use to extend your work permit after 4 months.
Thanks for your reply. I have applied for ON PNP from Sep 2016. I know that I can apply for Bridging open work permit. But I will be restricted to ontario. Is there any case who has received his/her BOWP for two provinces upon request?