+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*HELP* PGWP EXTENSION UPON PASSPORT RENEWAL (AS PER NOTE)

qaplaza

Jul 14, 2018
hi there, I just have the same issue. I got the PGWP only for 3 months because of my passport expires in September.
I already have my new passport and I went back to the college today to ask the international adviser about what to do in this situation.
She said I only can apply on paper ( no online applications) and its gonna take like 6 months :D but she said its okay, im fine and I still can work while Im waiting for the respond.
Also my PGWP says that if I renew my passport I get until 2021, july 14 so I assume its okay if the new applicatin is in progress.

Im gonna apply soon i just need to collect every form I will need. The advisor said only the old and new passport, and the PGWP form and an explanation letter. Also make sure the fees are paid.
Hello.

Thank u for the reply. I appreciate you sharing your experience with PGWP. Mine won’t be the same as my passport is expiring after I finish my program. My question is do I need to renew my passport first before I should apply for the PGWP? If I finish on January 2020 and my study permit expires on April 2020 I think they won’t process my PGWP because if I process it and it’s going to be issued it would be near or same month as my passport expiration which is May 2020. Hoping you can share your insights on this please.

Thank you and all the best on your professional career.

idk.dr

Jul 24, 2018
Hello.

Thank u for the reply. I appreciate you sharing your experience with PGWP. Mine won’t be the same as my passport is expiring after I finish my program. My question is do I need to renew my passport first before I should apply for the PGWP? If I finish on January 2020 and my study permit expires on April 2020 I think they won’t process my PGWP because if I process it and it’s going to be issued it would be near or same month as my passport expiration which is May 2020. Hoping you can share your insights on this please.

Thank you and all the best on your professional career.

Hi,
Yes i think renew your passport before your study permit expires. My study permit expires July 31, 2018 and my old passport expires in Septermber, 2018. I apply with this passport so I only received my PGWP until septermber whicg is like 3 minths. its a waste of money, since ypu need to renew it and apply again and pay the 255$ fees.
Dont do the same mistake I did. Apply just a little bit earlier before your stude permit expires and apply with a new passpirt for the PGWP.
also just in case you can attach the old passport too and write an explanation letter, that this is the passport you used with your study permits, and you renewed it.

qaplaza

Jul 14, 2018
Hi,
Yes i think renew your passport before your study permit expires. My study permit expires July 31, 2018 and my old passport expires in Septermber, 2018. I apply with this passport so I only received my PGWP until septermber whicg is like 3 minths. its a waste of money, since ypu need to renew it and apply again and pay the 255$ fees.
Dont do the same mistake I did. Apply just a little bit earlier before your stude permit expires and apply with a new passpirt for the PGWP.
also just in case you can attach the old passport too and write an explanation letter, that this is the passport you used with your study permits, and you renewed it.
Hi Again.
Do you think it is advisable to renew my passport before applying for PGWP? If passport is renewed then it would mean my Study Permit and visa will be invalid as these documents have my passport details linked to it? And if I don’t have a valid study permit I won’t be allowed to apply for PGWP as it’s one of it’s requirement, what do u think?

idk.dr

Jul 24, 2018
If you dont renew your passport before applying you wont be able to get PGWP for 3 years. just for few month and you need to apply again and pay255$ again.
Id renew it before, and keep a copy of your old passport just in case, also when you apply write an explanation letter about your situation.

maybe im not rght, but id do that.
you still can ask at your school the advisor or try to ask someone who knows these things.

priyanka2890

Sep 7, 2017
After doing thorough online research and speaking to CIC agent, I submitted an online application for PGWP Extension due to passport expiry. I submitted my application on July 6, 2016 and received a positive response on July 21, 2016 receiving the pending 2 years + of the 3 years.

So all you need to do to apply is:
Fill out the questionnaire in the same manner as you would have done it for the initial PGWP application.
Add a letter of explanation with your current work permit, old passport and other educational documents.
Also attach your new passport and fill up the IMM form in the similar fashion.
Only in the section "Have you previously applied to remain in Canada", you need to write an explanation mentioning Work Permit was issued till passport expiry, have renewed my passport for further extensions.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Hey Yash, I am applying to extend my Work Permit (PGWP) as my passport is expiring this year. I have renewed my passport and I filled out the questionnaire and filled my current status as Worker. I got to the Page where I have to fill IMM5710 and there is an optional Form IMM5257 (Application for TRV made outside Canada). I had a study permit before. Can you please help to see if I am doing the right thing? - Priyanka K

Karliverits

Aug 16, 2018
Has somebody else applied online for the PGWP extension due to passport renewal recently (aug 2018)? Because yesterday I went to rainbow bridge in Niagara and after 5-hrs waiting they told me they had never issued such extension in there and that I should do it online. The officer was very rude and I'm 7-months pregnant so you can imagine my frustration and desperation. It was an awful experience.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
Guys, Please note! I extended my post graduate work permit completely free. I went to the US border and came back to canada. The officer didn't ask for a fee and the process was very easy. I just brought my passports and my current work permit and past study permit plus my graduation letter ( which I think he didnt take a look at).

Anyways, if you go to the border for extension due to passport expiration date, they won't ask for a fee (based on my experience)

Good luck!

pattipatts

Aug 18, 2018
Guys, Please note! I extended my post graduate work permit completely free. I went to the US border and came back to canada. The officer didn't ask for a fee and the process was very easy. I just brought my passports and my current work permit and past study permit plus my graduation letter ( which I think he didnt take a look at).

Anyways, if you go to the border for extension due to passport expiration date, they won't ask for a fee (based on my experience)

Good luck!
Hi Shm2008,

I have a couple of questions if you've got some time!
Which US border entry did you go through?
Was your PGWP still valid at the time and how much time left did you have on it?
Did you have a Canadian Visa (a multiple entry visa) as well? or are you from a country that does not require a visa?

Thank you!

Energy2016

Jul 28, 2018
Hello Guys,
I applied for PGWP and I got up to end of my passport which is less than three years. I did my master's degree in 20 month. However, in the remarks of my work permit it just says " Post Grad Emplyment". I saw the other posts that it should be mentioned that it can be extended when I renew my passport. In my case is there any problem? Can I still extend my work permit?

Thanks

shunjaruff

May 7, 2018
I just got my PGWP extended!
Initially, my PGWP was given for 9 months because of my old passport validity. I renewed my passport in Canada and applied for PGWP extension ONLINE. I filled the form exactly the same way as I did when I applied PGWP for the first time but I did attach a letter of explanation.

Janab1234

Star Member
Mar 31, 2018
Hey Yash, I am applying to extend my Work Permit (PGWP) as my passport is expiring this year. I have renewed my passport and I filled out the questionnaire and filled my current status as Worker. I got to the Page where I have to fill IMM5710 and there is an optional Form IMM5257 (Application for TRV made outside Canada). I had a study permit before. Can you please help to see if I am doing the right thing? - Priyanka K
He said what you answered for intial thats what you have to do again you have to enter student not worker

Janab1234

Star Member
Mar 31, 2018
I just got my PGWP extended!
Initially, my PGWP was given for 9 months because of my old passport validity. I renewed my passport in Canada and applied for PGWP extension ONLINE. I filled the form exactly the same way as I did when I applied PGWP for the first time but I did attach a letter of explanation.
Hy can you tell me what is letter of explanation and where did you attach it?

shunjaruff

May 7, 2018
Hy can you tell me what is letter of explanation and where did you attach it?
LOE is where you explain your situation. Not too elaborate. Just thay your passport was expiring on this day and you got permit for the same. Now you have your passport extended you need the remaining period of pgwp granted to you. Add the doc numbers of old passport, pgwp and new passport. Attach it in optional doc section.

nelsonjrl

Sep 23, 2018
LOE is where you explain your situation. Not too elaborate. Just thay your passport was expiring on this day and you got permit for the same. Now you have your passport extended you need the remaining period of pgwp granted to you. Add the doc numbers of old passport, pgwp and new passport. Attach it in optional doc section.
Hello Shunjaruff, so in the questionnaire where it asks you your current status, did you select student? even though you are not a student anymore? or as in my case a full time worker. And also in the question 7 in IMM5710 what did you select as your status? student or worker?

Thank you very much

shunjaruff

May 7, 2018
Hello Shunjaruff, so in the questionnaire where it asks you your current status, did you select student? even though you are not a student anymore? or as in my case a full time worker. And also in the question 7 in IMM5710 what did you select as your status? student or worker?

Thank you very much
Student. Everything exactly the same as the first time.