+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help! Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada? (Maybe?!)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello! So I'm applying for a study permit and obviously have to answer this question in my application.
I had applied for EE a year ago and am still in the pool (profile about to expire end of month).
1) Do I withdraw my profile ?
2) Should I answer - Yes or No ?
Thanks in advance :)
The records of the application will remain so you can’t lie about it.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello! So I'm applying for a study permit and obviously have to answer this question in my application.
I had applied for EE a year ago and am still in the pool (profile about to expire end of month).
1. No need.
2. Answer is no, you have an Express of Interest, not an application as you haven't received an Invitation to apply.

akansha.1111

Nov 16, 2019
Hello,
I am intending to apply for a study permit.
However, I had my EE profile and I had received an ITA too but I did not accept the ITA. I declined it, so technically I did not apply to enter Canada.

Yet I’m not sure about what my answer should be for this question.
Please guide me regarding this.

Thanks !

akansha.1111

Nov 16, 2019
I'm sharing how the members in the Express Entry forum interpret it:
If you are still in the pool, it does not count.
It only counts if you get an ITA and submit an electronic PR application.

However, there's no harm in saying "yes" even if you are still in the pool, as it is still an intent to enter Canada.
I'm sharing how the members in the Express Entry forum interpret it:
If you are still in the pool, it does not count.
It only counts if you get an ITA and submit an electronic PR application.

However, there's no harm in saying "yes" even if you are still in the pool, as it is still an intent to enter Canada.
I want to apply for a study permit. However I had applied for EE and had gotten the ITA, but I decline the ITA. So technically, I did not apply to enter Canada.

However, I’m still confused what should I answer ? Did I apply to enter Canada or not ?
Thank you !

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I want to apply for a study permit. However I had applied for EE and had gotten the ITA, but I decline the ITA. So technically, I did not apply to enter Canada.

However, I’m still confused what should I answer ? Did I apply to enter Canada or not ?
Thank you !
As quoted in your post, you technically did not apply to enter Canada since you declined the ITA. However, if you want to be really safe, you can say "yes" and explain that you were in the pool, received an ITA, and declined it. Nothing bad can happen that way.

akansha.1111

Nov 16, 2019
As quoted in your post, you technically did not apply to enter Canada since you declined the ITA. However, if you want to be really safe, you can say "yes" and explain that you were in the pool, received an ITA, and declined it. Nothing bad can happen that way.
Thank you for your response. I was just wondering that would it affect my study permit application if I mention that I did receive ITA but I declined it ?
Since I’ve read it at a few times that intent of visit should be solely for studying, but having applied for PR prior to this ?
I’m just confused regarding this.
Thank you !

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Thank you for your response. I was just wondering that would it affect my study permit application if I mention that I did receive ITA but I declined it ?
Since I’ve read it at a few times that intent of visit should be solely for studying, but having applied for PR prior to this ?
I’m just confused regarding this.
Thank you !
You don't have to answer yes because you have not previously applied to enter Canada. You can if you want to. Personally, I wouldn't.

mukthar7702

Nov 2, 2020
Hi. Any update regarding your application? I am applying for Visa through Non-SDS from Oman. Want to know about the application process.

ht247758

Nov 24, 2020
Hello.
I applied to Expression of Interest via Arrima portal for immigrating to Québec back in 2018 and I received the following message from them in 2020:
"Your expression of interest has expired and has been deleted. If you still intend to immigrate to Quebec, you can submit a new expression of interest."
Now, I am going to apply for study permit. I am wondering what I have to answer to this question in form 1294e:
"Have you previously applied to enter or remain in canada?"
Is it Yes or No?

Thank you!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello.
I applied to Expression of Interest via Arrima portal for immigrating to Québec back in 2018 and I received the following message from them in 2020:
"Your expression of interest has expired and has been deleted. If you still intend to immigrate to Quebec, you can submit a new expression of interest."
Now, I am going to apply for study permit. I am wondering what I have to answer to this question in form 1294e:
"Have you previously applied to enter or remain in canada?"
Is it Yes or No?

Thank you!
1. The answer is No, you only submitted an Expression of Interest, not an application.

Reactions: ht247758

itspossible9

Feb 17, 2021
@scylla @PMM @NOC98 @caipsnotes I recently submitted my TRV application and my PR application is in progress. I am currently in Canada on PGWP. The problem is while submitting the TRV application, I answered the question "Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?" I answered "Yes" and then it ask provide details. I wrote I applied for PGWP in January 2020 but forgot to mention about my PR application. I already submitted 2-3 case specific inquiry to add that information and I also requested to withdraw application. I got response for the application withdraw and they said they added note and office will determine if application can be withdrawn. I didn't get any response for adding my PR application in previous applications list. What should I do now? Should I call them and let them know about my situation? Is it possible that I ask them on phone to add a note to my TRV application about this mistake so officer can not charge me with misrepresentation. Please help me, I am really worried.

Last edited:

Garminium

Nov 12, 2021
Hello and thank for all answers that you gave here.
I have a question on my case.
I am from Visa exempt Country even before the Eta rules was applied.
min 2009 I came to Canada and applied for Refugee status in Montreal. After 3 years of waiting I decided not to wait until the court day and withdraw my application.
I respectEd all rules and left Canada before time that was given to me by Immigration Canada. Left without any problems and have all the papers.
Now we want to travel to Canada with my wife and kid for a vacation.
1. Do I need to put Yes?
I am dual citizen of 2 Europeans Countries that do not need Visa to USA or Canada. And was in USA more than 10 times after Coming back from Canada.
2. Should I apply for ETA or it’s a waist of time in my case?

Thanks in Advance.

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022
LANDED..........
25-08-2022
Friends @legalfalcon I have a question. My daughter is a non accompanying dependant on my PR Application. I recently applied for visitor visa for he so she can come visit me for a couple of weeks. In the question "Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada" I mentioned "No" as though my daughter has a UCI, she is non accompanying and never entered Canada. Do you think I did a mistake here and risk misrepresentation?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Friends @legalfalcon I have a question. My daughter is a non accompanying dependant on my PR Application. I recently applied for visitor visa for he so she can come visit me for a couple of weeks. In the question "Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada" I mentioned "No" as though my daughter has a UCI, she is non accompanying and never entered Canada. Do you think I did a mistake here and risk misrepresentation?

You did the right thing. If your child was non-accompanying, they never applied to enter Canada.

And with the UCI IRCC will know that they were a part of your PR application as a non-accompanying family member.

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022
LANDED..........
25-08-2022
You did the right thing. If your child was non-accompanying, they never applied to enter Canada.

And with the UCI IRCC will know that they were a part of your PR application as a non-accompanying family member.
Thanks Legal Falcon, last question I applied for visitor visa for my non accompanying daughter while my PR application is in progress, I mentioned in LOE that she is non accompanying in PR but will come visit me with her mother now and then . Hope it is not misrepresentation