+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help! Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada? (Maybe?!)

CedricJ

Jan 20, 2016
Hi,
I've got two transfers coming up for Canada. One of them takes place before the new rules regarding ETA applies and the other one after, as such I figured I'd rather be safe then sorry. So I have two questions in regards to my ETA application.

One of the questions states:
"Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?
Select YES if, in the past, you submitted an application to come to Canada, such as a study permit, work permit or visitor visa."

Being Swedish national I do not need to apply for a visa to visit, as such I've been to Canada previously (approx 3mths, travelling & skiing) but I haven't applied for a visitors visa and as such can't give an UCI number. What should I answer?

The second question is much simpler and just me being a bit nervous, for an overnight layover in Toronto, do I need some sort of Visa or should it suffice to just show up, go through immigration and check in to a hotel and then onwards the day after? (Can't remember applying for a visa last time!)

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
CedricJ said:
Hi,
I've got two transfers coming up for Canada. One of them takes place before the new rules regarding ETA applies and the other one after, as such I figured I'd rather be safe then sorry. So I have two questions in regards to my ETA application.

One of the questions states:
"Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?
Select YES if, in the past, you submitted an application to come to Canada, such as a study permit, work permit or visitor visa."

Being Swedish national I do not need to apply for a visa to visit, as such I've been to Canada previously (approx 3mths, travelling & skiing) but I haven't applied for a visitors visa and as such can't give an UCI number. What should I answer?
You answered it yourself

CedricJ said:
The second question is much simpler and just me being a bit nervous, for an overnight layover in Toronto, do I need some sort of Visa or should it suffice to just show up, go through immigration and check in to a hotel and then onwards the day after? (Can't remember applying for a visa last time!)
This -> "Being Swedish national I do not need to apply for a visa to visit,"

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
sisternaima said:
hi. Does an application for an Express Entry also apply to this?
I'm sharing how the members in the Express Entry forum interpret it:
If you are still in the pool, it does not count.
It only counts if you get an ITA and submit an electronic PR application.

However, there's no harm in saying "yes" even if you are still in the pool, as it is still an intent to enter Canada.

Reactions: Albertoms

sisternaima

Star Member
May 12, 2016
Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bellaluna said:

However, there's no harm in saying "yes" even if you are still in the pool, as it is still an intent to enter Canada.
thanks. I have answered yes to this. hoping for a positive result.

sgsiri

Jul 24, 2016
bellaluna said:

Hi,
I had an express entry pool which is now expired. I never got ITA as my score is low.
Should I answer yes for the question?

Thanks in advance

M.Kumar

Oct 18, 2016
Hi Expert Friends

I had already applied 2 times as follows:

a) Had applied PR in 2010, which was refused.
b) I have applied for Certificate for Selection in Quebec (CSQ) in June 2016 which is under process.

What should be my answers (Yes/NO) for Visitor Visa application in the present situation.

1. Have you ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada or any other country?
2. Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
M.Kumar said:
Hi Expert Friends

I had already applied 2 times as follows:

a) Had applied PR in 2010, which was refused.
b) I have applied for Certificate for Selection in Quebec (CSQ) in June 2016 which is under process.

What should be my answers (Yes/NO) for Visitor Visa application in the present situation.

1. Have you ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada or any other country?
2. Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?
1. Yes with example A.
2. Yes with examples A and B.

M.Kumar

Oct 18, 2016
Thank you so much

Should I submit a Case specific inquiry and update the information as my visitor visa application is under procecss.

neba

May 24, 2017
pls pls answer a quick related question for me; the question is something like this: "Have you previously applied to enter into Canada". If someone knows my personal details (including passport copies etc) and applies on my behalf, is there any way that I can know??

Rn2713

May 10, 2017
pls pls answer a quick related question for me; the question is something like this: "Have you previously applied to enter into Canada". If someone knows my personal details (including passport copies etc) and applies on my behalf, is there any way that I can know??

I am not sure if there's a way you'll know about it. But, how would they know your details?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
How would you not know if you or someone else applied for a visa to Canada with your passport, unless it was stolen?

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Maybe an overzealous , hover-type parent.

neba

May 24, 2017
How would you not know if you or someone else applied for a visa to Canada with your passport, unless it was stolen?
six or seven years back, there was a "licensed" agent who came to our university saying their company can help smart students get accepted to top colleges in Canada. following that, selected students gave our essays, school transcripts, and copies of passports (with the passport, and the passport was returned to us after 2weeks). We have not heard from the company ever since... and this has me worried!! Could they really have applied????