+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Good secondary school neighbourhoods

aircanada

May 27, 2014
Neighbourhood is cute. It's fully gentrified. It's a bit far from subway for my liking but the strip on Dundas Street W is nice.

rooster7

Dec 16, 2017
Thank you. Saw that one as well - I think it's smaller than 1000sqft, perhaps that's why?

Is it OK to approach a realtor for condos/ townhomes, and landlords directly for apartments? As someone mentioned that realtors don't really deal in in apartments? Will that be unprofessional on a house hunter's part?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you. Saw that one as well - I think it's smaller than 1000sqft, perhaps that's why?

Is it OK to approach a realtor for condos/ townhomes, and landlords directly for apartments? As someone mentioned that realtors don't really deal in in apartments? Will that be unprofessional on a house hunter's part?
All depend on how the unit is advertised. I your price range it will likely be property management companies or individuals renting the units. Renting is pretty informal.

rooster7

Dec 16, 2017
All depend on how the unit is advertised. I your price range it will likely be property management companies or individuals renting the units. Renting is pretty informal.
What I meant was, is it OK to hire a realtor and approach landlords or apartment management companies at the same time? Just so I get to see more homes. Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes. You should be upfront with your realtor that you are also looking for properties on your own. In Canada the landlord usually pays the realtor if their property gets rented. Depending on how the house/apartment/condo is listed the landlord may not be willing to pay the commission. Because so little of the rental market is exclusively listed through a real estate agents in Canada I'm not sure whether you will find it easy to find a real estate agent willing to work with anyone at your budget point. High end rentals are often the ones listed with real estate agents on MLS. Obviously they will only want to work if there is a good chance that they will get a commission so I am genuine curious to see if you will find realtors wanting to work with you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's a good neighbourhood. I would still classify that one as a bit up-and-coming - especially based on where that condo is located. But it's good.

The condo is right beside a very busy street that is one of the main feeders for the large shopping complex that's just to the north. It's a heavy traffic area - but tons of stuff around and you'd be very close to shopping.

You definitely cannot walk to the subway from there (unless you wanted a bit of a hike and had tons of time to spare). You'll need to bus down to the subway to commute into downtown. That bus comes relatively frequently.

rooster7

Dec 16, 2017
Thanks all. Looks like I might go for a condo or a townhouse/ house. I hear a house can a little troublesome and expensive (snow removal, higher utilities, etc) and it's recommended to live in a condo in the first year of moving. What do you all suggest?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Given your budget you and your desire to live in a few specific areas you will likely have to live in an apartment or a condo if it is a bit further away from your preferred area. I think you really need to be in Toronto looking. The rental market is very fast paced and you may be surprised when you actually show up to see a unit. Some bedrooms are the size of a walk-in closet. My suggestion is if you find something you like get an application right away.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks all. Looks like I might go for a condo or a townhouse/ house. I hear a house can a little troublesome and expensive (snow removal, higher utilities, etc) and it's recommended to live in a condo in the first year of moving. What do you all suggest?
It's really up to you. There aren't a lot of three bedroom condos around - and sometimes one of the three bedrooms ends up being very very small. Recommend you don't rent anything without seeing it in person and wait until you are in Canada to look at units and sign a lease.

aircanada

May 27, 2014
I personally definitely prefer low rise neigbourhoods (e.g. houses). That's where the middle class lives. Condos mostly started in 90s and only became commonplace in 00s. Rents for the same amount of space is lower in houses (mainly because the price isn't inflated by not so useful amenities like in condominiums) and snow removal is typically taken care of by landlord. I'd say an average one bedroom condo rents for $2100 these days whereas an apartment in a house is likely going to be around $1700.

That said, it's only the year one. You'll find what you like along the way. Just don't move to Humber Bay or Sheppard Avenue or anywhere else weird.

Last edited: