+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Good secondary school neighbourhoods

rooster7

Dec 16, 2017
Careful with the dens. Make sure you check out the room dimensions. Sometimes what people call a den is no more than a shallow indent in a wall that isn't even an enclosed room. Other times the room is enclosed but only large enough to barely fit a crib (not an actual bed) - more like a large closet. They are called dens for a reason (den = generally won't work as a bedroom).
Ah, good advice. So that's out as well. The more I dig, the more I think we'll have to stretch the budget close to 3K. What you recommend based on these points:

My workplace (when I have one) would be in downtown core.
My son's college (Humber or Ryerson) is closer to / in downtown.

Do we live in the suburbs, save on rent but spend more time commuting? (Don't plan to buy a car for 6-12 months)
Or live near downtown, pay more rent, save time?

I'm leaning towards living in and near Bloor/ High Park, as mentioned earlier. And looking at Ursula Franklin Academy and Humberside Collegiate schools for the daughter.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The downtown vs. suburbs decision is really only one that you can your family can make. Some people prefer one - others prefer the other. Being right in the city puts you close to a lot but your money generally gets you a lot less. It's really about personal preference.

I'm a downtowner. I work in the financial district and like living in the city. We don't even own a car (no point - rent or zipcar when we need one). Some people can't imagine living without a car. Again, personal preference.

I can't really advise you on the rental market other than to say it's competitive and expensive (at least that's what I hear from others).

rooster7

Dec 16, 2017
The downtown vs. suburbs decision is really only one that you can your family can make. Some people prefer one - others prefer the other. Being right in the city puts you close to a lot but your money generally gets you a lot less. It's really about personal preference.

I'm a downtowner. I work in the financial district and like living in the city. We don't even own a car (no point - rent or zipcar when we need one). Some people can't imagine living without a car. Again, personal preference.

I can't really advise you on the rental market other than to say it's competitive and expensive (at least that's what I hear from others).
Thanks again, scylla. I have been to Toronto once, a few years ago. Didn't quite like the suburbs myself - preferred the city neighbourhoods as they seemed to be more matured and green. Or at least what I saw in a week.

aircanada

May 27, 2014
Ah, good advice. So that's out as well. The more I dig, the more I think we'll have to stretch the budget close to 3K. What you recommend based on these points:

My workplace (when I have one) would be in downtown core.
My son's college (Humber or Ryerson) is closer to / in downtown.

Do we live in the suburbs, save on rent but spend more time commuting? (Don't plan to buy a car for 6-12 months)
Or live near downtown, pay more rent, save time?

I'm leaning towards living in and near Bloor/ High Park, as mentioned earlier. And looking at Ursula Franklin Academy and Humberside Collegiate schools for the daughter.
Ryerson IS downtown but Humber College isn't really close to downtown. You might find it beneficial to splurge on an apartment downtown walking distance to your work and Ryerson, then you're saving nearly $300 a month (your son and yourself) in public transit costs.

Bloor/High Park - the tall 60s apartment buildings can be a good choices but houses will be very expensive as it's a fancy middle class area.

First year is always an adjustment period anyway. You may find you have to pay closer to $3000 or the location might not be ideal, but the second year you figure it out more.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you will be likely locked in for a year and then can always move. I would give your budget lots of wiggle room. Not sure where you have been living but you may find that the cost of many things are higher in Canada. Once you have lived in Toronto for a year you will have a better idea whether you can stretch your budget.

rooster7

Dec 16, 2017
Thank you all. Much appreciate your help and thank you for taking time out to write. Sorry, I've been been busy scrambling to sell off our household things. So many things to do, so little time... before we fly across continents.

@aircanada: would you know or remember the names of the tall 60s apartment buildings? Just so I can tell the agents.

Talking about agents. What do you recommend I do when it comes to viewing property: do I get in touch through the online listings, or speak to an agent when I am in TO? Also, what are the utility costs like for a family of 4?

Thanks again.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you all. Much appreciate your help and thank you for taking time out to write. Sorry, I've been been busy scrambling to sell off our household things. So many things to do, so little time... before we fly across continents.

@aircanada: would you know or remember the names of the tall 60s apartment buildings? Just so I can tell the agents.

Talking about agents. What do you recommend I do when it comes to viewing property: do I get in touch through the online listings, or speak to an agent when I am in TO? Also, what are the utility costs like for a family of 4?

Thanks again.
Here's a 3 bedroom currently for rent in one of those buildings.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/18940149/1412--100-QUEBEC-AVE-Toronto-Ontario-M6P4B8-High-Park-North

Note that 3 bedrooms will be hard to come by. The vast majority are 1-2 bedrooms.

aircanada

May 27, 2014
That's wildly overpriced though. I'd never pay $3500 for a 3-bedroom apartment in high park north buildings.

Thanks again.
Agents will know what those apartments are when you tall to them, I am not sure if they go by one single name and I think different buildings are owned by different companies. Here's another one
https://www.minto.com/gta/Toronto-apartment-rentals/High-Park-Village/main.html

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That's wildly overpriced though. I'd never pay $3500 for a 3-bedroom apartment in high park north buildings.

Agents will know what those apartments are when you tall to them, I am not sure if they go by one single name and I think different buildings are owned by different companies. Here's another one
https://www.minto.com/gta/Toronto-apartment-rentals/High-Park-Village/main.html
Yeah - I agree about the price of the three bedroom. Because they are so rare - I think people try to get crazy amounts for them.

FYI - I have a friend who lives in that Minto building and I don't think they have any three bedrooms - or what they call a three bedroom is one of those two bedrooms plus an open den.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's certainly worth checking out!

There are scams on kijiji - so make sure you're not sending money to anyone until / unless you've confirmed this is real. Sometimes people also don't remove posts off kijiji once stuff is sold/rented.

rooster7

Dec 16, 2017
It's certainly worth checking out!

There are scams on kijiji - so make sure you're not sending money to anyone until / unless you've confirmed this is real. Sometimes people also don't remove posts off kijiji once stuff is sold/rented.
Thanks for the heads up!
We're only moving to TO in April, so by that time it will be gone. Oh, and we have a cat, who will join us in July. So pet friendly is another requirement o_O