+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Good secondary school neighbourhoods

rooster7

Dec 16, 2017
Hello all,

I'm moving to TO in April with wife and 2 teen kids. I have a lot of questions so let me start with the important ones here. Appreciate your help.

Our budget for a 3 bed 2 bath condo or apartment is $2500. A little high but I'm looking at areas close to downtown (max 30 min commute on bus or train). What's important for us is also proximity to great secondary schools, High Park (or any park with trails and such) and the waterfront. We love the outdoors, cycling etc.

Which neighbourhoods would you recommend? Do we pick the school first?

I'm realising that apartments might be a good fit for us - bigger space, lower floor (we prefer low rise than high, gives you the house feel), cheaper. But not sure if apartments have security and a pool? We don't mind an older building as long as it's not infested with roaches and rats.

Sorry for asking too many questions. Kind of overwhelmed at the moment.

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Given your budget, requirements, and the state of the rental market in Toronto - I think you'll need to have several different neighbourhoods in mind when you are searching for a place to live. Keep in mind that your address will determine which district you are in and which public schools your children are allowed to attend. If you've been looking at the High Park area, then Humberside is one school you'll want to research.

Here are a couple of sites you can use to assess schools:

http://ontario.compareschoolrankings.org/secondary/SchoolsByRankLocationName.aspx?schooltype=secondary

http://www.scholarhood.ca/best-high-schools-in-toronto

amin23

Jan 16, 2018
Given your budget, requirements, and the state of the rental market in Toronto - I think you'll need to have several different neighbourhoods in mind when you are searching for a place to live. Keep in mind that your address will determine which district you are in and which public schools your children are allowed to attend. If you've been looking at the High Park area, then Humberside is one school you'll want to research.

http://ontario.compareschoolrankings.org/secondary/SchoolsByRankLocationName.aspx?schooltype=secondary

I was looking for some infos for a friend of mine thank you for the links!

rooster7

Dec 16, 2017

Thank you very much for advice and links. Looks like you're based in TO or have lived there. Could you please recommend other neighbourhoods? From what I have researched, currently I have these in mind: High Park North, Swansea, Windermere, Rosedale, Trinity Bellwoods and Ronceswalles. I do understand that some of these would be expensive to live in. But we're gunning for an unfurnished condo/ apartment and don't really mind older properties. Thank you again.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you very much for advice and links. Looks like you're based in TO or have lived there. Could you please recommend other neighbourhoods? From what I have researched, currently I have these in mind: High Park North, Swansea, Windermere, Rosedale, Trinity Bellwoods and Ronceswalles. I do understand that some of these would be expensive to live in. But we're gunning for an unfurnished condo/ apartment and don't really mind older properties. Thank you again.
I'm very familiar with all of those areas and think they're all great (grew up and spent my entire childhood in one of them) - but can't help you further than I already have. I own (rather than rent) and have never really been in the rental market. Although I would say your budget is definitely on the lower end and can tell you that the rental market in Toronto is extremely competitive right now. I also don't have kids and have no idea how districts are mapped for schools (but I know your address will impact which school your kids are able to attend).

Reactions: rooster7

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your budget will definitely not get you into a 3 bed condo in any of those areas. Maybe in the suburbs but still might be too low given 3 bedroom are rare in condos. In some of those areas you would be looking at a 1 nice one bedroom or one bedroom plus den for your budget. 3 bedroom rental properties will be tough to find. Many of the older 3 bedrooms will probably have one bath. Think you may have to go further outside the city to find what you are looking for. Also lower your expectations about a concierge or pool.

Reactions: rooster7 and scylla

rooster7

Dec 16, 2017
Thank you, scylla and canuck78 for the help. Appreciate it. Looks like I will have to broaden my search, as you suggest. Thanks again.

rooster7

Dec 16, 2017
Thank you, aircanada. These are very good options. What did you search for - 3 bedroom homes in all of Toronto?

aircanada

May 27, 2014
You can also look at Kijiji and Craigslist listings. Kijiji and Craigslist tends to be more individuals renting their units out whereas viewit is more corporate landlords renting out apartments in buildings, although there's definitely crossover.

I'd say be open to 2-bedrooms at least for the first year since Toronto has a family sized unit shortage your pickings will be slimmer.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can also look at Kijiji and Craigslist listings. Kijiji and Craigslist tends to be more individuals renting their units out whereas viewit is more corporate landlords renting out apartments in buildings, although there's definitely crossover.

I'd say be open to 2-bedrooms at least for the first year since Toronto has a family sized unit shortage your pickings will be slimmer.
Agreed with this. Also - be careful with scams on Kijiji and Craigslist.

Reactions: rooster7

rooster7

Dec 16, 2017
Thank you both. I have two teen kids, a boy and a girl, who are territorial with each other :). Putting them in the same room would mean no peace for us parents. Looks like a 2 plus a den might be better for us. Though the thought of having no windows in a room makes me claustrophobic.

A question about real estate agents: I hear one has to work with just one agent? Not entirely sure how it works in TO. If I have engaged an agent, can I still contact landlords directly through the listings on the websites? I wonder what's the point in looking at websites if I can only go through one agent? Thanks again.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Careful with the dens. Make sure you check out the room dimensions. Sometimes what people call a den is no more than a shallow indent in a wall that isn't even an enclosed room. Other times the room is enclosed but only large enough to barely fit a crib (not an actual bed) - more like a large closet. They are called dens for a reason (den = generally won't work as a bedroom).