+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Good secondary school neighbourhoods

aircanada

May 27, 2014
Thanks for the heads up!
Oh, and we have a cat, who will join us in July. So pet friendly is another requirement o_O
I wouldn't mention the cat. You can add the cat into the picture later in July and the landlord legally can't do anything about it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Safety is fine although it's definitely a more "up and coming" area. Transit is available but will likely add 1/2 hour to your travel time each way to downtown Toronto vs. being in High Park.
Wonder why there are no dimensions. Also not sure if study is a self contained room or a nook somewhere. Really difficult to rent a property from abroad. Especially a 3 bedroom unit in a decent location. Landlords will always prioritize meeting people. Also some condos have rules about pets.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Wonder why there are no dimensions. Also not sure if study is a self contained room or a nook somewhere. Really difficult to rent a property from abroad. Especially a 3 bedroom unit in a decent location. Landlords will always prioritize meeting people. Also some condos have rules about pets.
I'm with you. No dimensions is always very dodgy and makes me think there's something to hide.

rooster7

Dec 16, 2017
Thank you. I would be meeting landlords and agents, and looking at the properties when I'm there in April before renting. Which is better - contact landlords directly or go through a realtor?

@aircanada I'd rather say we have a cat than get into issues later with the landlord, though I understand this makes our apartment hunt harder. :) Do you think it's safe?

Could you kind folk recommend any other neighbourhood (besides High Park) where it might be easier to find a place with my requirements - Not too far from downtown, good transit and schools...

I'm looking at schools in and near high park - Ursula, Humberside and Bloor for my daughter. But I maybe putting my eggs in one basket.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Guessing the majority of private landlords are going to say no to pets. Think you will have more luck renting from a large property management company who rents older apartment buildings. Real estate agents usually show higher end properties so not sure it is worth working with an agent. Maybe in the suburbs it is different. I know in many countries where renting is the norm or more common real estate agents also do a lot of rentals. I would try to have a list of at least 3 schools you are willing to consider and that also seem realistic for your budget. 3 bedroom rental units are tough to find so there will be competition and not a ton of inventory.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wouldn't mention the cat. You can add the cat into the picture later in July and the landlord legally can't do anything about it.
Are you sure?

A friend of mine add a dog in the picture several months he moved in and had to pay a pet fee.

Reactions: scylla

aircanada

May 27, 2014
True can't do anything about a pet unless the condo has a rule about pet in the by-laws
Ah I wasn't thinking about condos. But in houses and rental apartments (everything that is not governed by a condo board) the Ontario tenant act applies and as such things like a pet fee isn't legal, neither can your landlord take action because you have a pet.

Reactions: canuck78 and scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ah I wasn't thinking about condos. But in houses and rental apartments (everything that is not governed by a condo board) the Ontario tenant act applies and as such things like a pet fee isn't legal, neither can your landlord take action because you have a pet.
That's right. Condos are very different and the pet would have to be declared in advance in a condo situation.

aircanada

May 27, 2014
@aircanada I'd rather say we have a cat than get into issues later with the landlord, though I understand this makes our apartment hunt harder. :) Do you think it's safe?
As discussed before, condos might ban or limit pets (they have the power to). That's mostly against large or multiple dogs though, a cat should be fine. For things that are not condos, unless you live in the same unit with the landlord you are fully allowed to bring in a pet without asking them.

Could you kind folk recommend any other neighbourhood (besides High Park) where it might be easier to find a place with my requirements - Not too far from downtown, good transit and schools...
All downtown area neighbourhoods are fine typically, except maybe St Jamestown, Parkdale, parts of Regent Park/Garden District/Cabbagetown. Outside of downtown, Yonge and St Clair (very expensive though) and Yonge and Eglinton areas can also be good choices. East York, Riverdale, Leslieville also OK. Danforth up to Woodbine.

rooster7

Dec 16, 2017
As discussed before, condos might ban or limit pets (they have the power to). That's mostly against large or multiple dogs though, a cat should be fine. For things that are not condos, unless you live in the same unit with the landlord you are fully allowed to bring in a pet without asking them.

All downtown area neighbourhoods are fine typically, except maybe St Jamestown, Parkdale, parts of Regent Park/Garden District/Cabbagetown. Outside of downtown, Yonge and St Clair (very expensive though) and Yonge and Eglinton areas can also be good choices. East York, Riverdale, Leslieville also OK. Danforth up to Woodbine.
Thanks all for your help.

@aircanada that's great info. Very helpful in picking the right neighbourhood.

rooster7

Dec 16, 2017
if you already found a home, then its great. I remember when we started our search. it was tough.
I have created a whatsApp group and will ask some realtors to join as well, so that people like us can get benefited, by finding a place to live.
https://chat.whatsapp.com/IO4VEn3uBmj0dzgoqDfBKh

Regards
Shiv
Hi Shiv, we haven't moved yet. Will only finalise our home once we're there. Thank you for the invite - will connect when in TO. Cheers.