+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Girlfriend into Common-law relationship sponsorship

Jean8mathieu

Mar 18, 2023
Hey,

I have a girlfriend in Brazil that we have been talking to each other daily for the past 6 years. I've visited her 2 times for 2 months each and I was wondering if it would be a pain to bring her to Canada so we can live together for 12 months so we can become a common-law partner? (I'm a Canadian Citizen)

I will be supporting her financially and I'm able to prove it as requested. My questions is, would it be an issue when we cross the border with the CBSA? I know we can request Visitor Record to demand an extension to stay longer.

I would be doing an inland application after once we reach the 12 months together.

What would you guest suggest in that case?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Getting a TRV may be the big problem. TRVs are typically dependent on the applicant’s ties to their home country, their own savings and whether they’ve travelled internationally before especially to countries like the US, UK, Australia, etc. If they can get a TRV and are able to enter Canada without issue getting and extension shouldn’t be an issue. You will need to show that you have the savings to support you partner without her needing to work.

Jean8mathieu

Mar 18, 2023
How about live in Brazil for a year and then apply outland?
That would be a plan B. But here is the issue, Brazil will require a VISA to enter and they limit 90 days per trip and up to 180 days per years. So be able to live there for 365 days you would need to apply for a Digital Nomad VISA allowing you to stay there for a year.

Also it's easier for her to come in Canada since she doesn't own a car or rent. She lives with her family.

For me I can't really leave my appartement since I won't have a place to store my appliances and I also have a car. Selling everything for a year would be a waste of money.

That's why I was looking at the route to bring her to Canada so we can cohabit for 12 months and than apply for inland common-law sponsorship.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Then she can just travel to Canada and see how much time she is allowed to stay from the CBSA.
After that, she can apply to extend her stay as a visitor.

Jean8mathieu

Mar 18, 2023
Then she can just travel to Canada and see how much time she is allowed to stay from the CBSA.
After that, she can apply to extend her stay as a visitor.
But the risk of refusal at the entry would be low? She'll be travelling with me and I don't want her to get refused entry for some odd reason.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
But the risk of refusal at the entry would be low? She'll be travelling with me and I don't want her to get refused entry for some odd reason.
Generally once they get the visa, the level of inspection is pretty modest unless something is very obviously not consistent with a visit. She should not show up with all of her worldly belongings. If asked, it's a visit.

You should also consider that marrying will allow you both to start this process much sooner incl your ostensible's possibility of working.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She already been approved for a TRV. My biggest worry is crossing the border...
Nobody can anticipate what will happen. Does she have any savings? What about work history? Age? Has she travelled before? Are there any red flags when it comes to your relationship? Large age difference, difference in religion, etc. The fact that she was granted a TRV was a good sign. What was the reason and length of stay specified in the TRV?

Jean8mathieu

Mar 18, 2023
Nobody can anticipate what will happen. Does she have any savings? What about work history? Age? Has she travelled before? Are there any red flags when it comes to your relationship? Large age difference, difference in religion, etc. The fact that she was granted a TRV was a good sign. What was the reason and length of stay specified in the TRV?
Intially was for her vacation. She'll come in July for a month vacation and I'll be going back with her for 2-3 months. But we are planning for her to comeback with me. The saving, in the TRV I've written that I'll be taking in charge for the entirity of the expenses. There's not really any red flags AFAIK.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Intially was for her vacation. She'll come in July for a month vacation and I'll be going back with her for 2-3 months. But we are planning for her to comeback with me. The saving, in the TRV I've written that I'll be taking in charge for the entirity of the expenses. There's not really any red flags AFAIK.
Will she be showing any of her own savings? IRCC generally want the applicant to show they have savings to make for a strong application.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She already been approved for a TRV. My biggest worry is crossing the border...
Ah. Sorry. Looks like the TRV is already approved. In that case I think you are fine as long as she has a return ticket

Reactions: armoured

Jean8mathieu

Mar 18, 2023
Will she be showing any of her own savings? IRCC generally want the applicant to show they have savings to make for a strong application.
Her application is already approved and she already have the VISA "stamped" in her password so that's not an issue. IRCC approved it in 2-3 months~

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
As other pointed out, there should really be no problem. Plan it as a visit. Have an idea of where and when you will go somewhere like sightseeing etc. so if asked you have clear understanding. I have travelled with my wife many times before she finally started to consider to immigrate (we lived abroad). We were hardly asked any questions at the border. But we were really just visiting for couple of weeks. On the other hand, life is unpredictable.... :) Just follow the law, don`t overstay etc.

Reactions: armoured