+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FEBRUARY 2019 *OUTLAND* SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP

alaria

Apr 17, 2018
Advice for everyone who is going to apply soon.

Please check you are using the latest forms, especially the checklist. Here's the catch: a checklist form was updated in December 2018. But if you go here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp to check all the forms you need, you will see this picture:

So it looks like the checklist was last updated in June 2018. But that information is not correct. If you download the checklist and scroll to the end of any page, you will see this:

As you can see, the checklist form was updated in December 2018, but the page with the list of the forms does not reflect it.

The best way to make sure you're submitting the latest forms is go to the provided above link right before you are going to submit your application, download all the forms that are a part of your application, and check the actual dates on them. That's the only way you can be sure nothing updated in between you started working on your application and you submitted it.

alaria

Apr 17, 2018
A little clarification: the checklist I mentioned above (IMM5533) is for spousal sponsorship. It may not be applied for common law cases and others. But the approach I suggested, which is to check all the forms right before you submit an application would be valid for all cases, not just spouses.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxim88

jaygill

Star Member
Feb 3, 2016
Category........
App. Filed.......
14-02-2019
Advice for everyone who is going to apply soon.

Please check you are using the latest forms, especially the checklist. Here's the catch: a checklist form was updated in December 2018. But if you go here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp to check all the forms you need, you will see this picture:

So it looks like the checklist was last updated in June 2018. But that information is not correct. If you download the checklist and scroll to the end of any page, you will see this:

As you can see, the checklist form was updated in December 2018, but the page with the list of the forms does not reflect it.

The best way to make sure you're submitting the latest forms is go to the provided above link right before you are going to submit your application, download all the forms tha are a part of your application, and check the actual dates on them. That's the only way you can be sure nothing updated in between you started working on your application and you submitted it.

Hey!

I have just applied for my spouse sponsorship but I have used old checklist (06-2018). I have also checked and compared two checklist they are exactly similar. Any thoughts, would there be any problem?
Thanks in advance!

alaria

Apr 17, 2018
Hey!

I have just applied for my spouse sponsorship but I have used old checklist (06-2018). I have also checked and compared two checklist they are exactly similar. Any thoughts, would there be any problem?
Thanks in advance!
To be honest, we never know what IRCC will do. They can do opposite actions in two similar cases. I talked to a lawyer and they said there's a chance an application might be returned if the forms are not latest (I used the latest after they pointed it out to me). But in this case with the checklist I believe the chance of a return is miserably low. As you mentioned, the two checklist are almost identical (but not exactly similar). There is a very slight difference, the new one suggests to pay biometric upfront and submit the receipt with an application, whereas the old one does not say about biometric at all. But since even IRCC didn't bother to update dates on the website (those where it says June 2018 or December 2018), I'm thinking even they don't consider it to be a big issue. So let's just hope for the best. If you didn't pay biometric upfront, you will just get a request for it later, that's it.

You know, I have a feeling that IRCC should have some common sense (at least I really want to believe in it). To return an application for them is additional trouble for themselves. They need to mail it to you back, pay for post services, etc. I would like to think they can forgive us very minor issues. And another thing is, since they didn't update the dates on the website, there should be many people who would send an application with an old checklist. I'm sure you're not the only one. Will all of them be returned? :) I want to think "no" :)

jaygill

Star Member
Feb 3, 2016
Category........
App. Filed.......
14-02-2019
To be honest, we never know what IRCC will do. They can do opposite actions in two similar cases. I talked to a lawyer and they said there's a chance an application might be returned if the forms are not latest (I used the latest after they pointed it out to me). But in this case with the checklist I believe the chance of a return is miserably low. As you mentioned, the two checklist are almost identical (but not exactly similar). There is a very slight difference, the new one suggests to pay biometric upfront and submit the receipt with an application, whereas the old one does not say about biometric at all. But since even IRCC didn't bother to update dates on the website (those where it says June 2018 or December 2018), I'm thinking even they don't consider it to be a big issue. So let's just hope for the best. If you didn't pay biometric upfront, you will just get a request for it later, that's it.

You know, I have a feeling that IRCC should have some common sense (at least I really want to believe in it). To return an application for them is additional trouble for themselves. They need to mail it to you back, pay for post services, etc. I would like to think they can forgive us very minor issues. And another thing is, since they didn't update the dates on the website, there should be many people who would send an application with an old checklist. I'm sure you're not the only one. Will all of them be returned? :) I want to think "no" :)
Oh thank god! I paid the Biometric fee in advance along with RPRF!
I think it'd be really absurd to return an application just for this minor mistake!

Did you notice any else different in this checklist than the previous one?

Krissh2179

Nov 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
14-02-2019

I myself have not sent the latest december version. Although I have paid my biometrics upfront. I dont see it as a strong reason for returning the application specially for a checklist (unlike an important document). They may ask for me to send them an updated version through webform if needed but chances of that are quite low. It would really be nerve wracking if they return the package for this minor issue tbh.

alaria

Apr 17, 2018
I myself have not sent the latest december version. Although I have paid my biometrics upfront. I dont see it as a strong reason for returning the application specially for a checklist (unlike an important document). They may ask for me to send them an updated version through webform if needed but chances of that are quite low. It would really be nerve wracking if they return the package for this minor issue tbh.
I 100% agree with you.

Reactions: Krissh2179

Eddie1993

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
App. Filed.......
18-04-2019
AOR Received.
30-05-2019
I sent out my application on Feb 7th via Canada post and was received on Feb 10th. Now I have to sit back and wait for CIC to bother opening it lol.

Jeevan Kumar

Star Member
Mar 20, 2013
Thank you Jeewan, lets hope everything will go well.
Did you apply online or submitted paper application ?
and what was the reason for rejection ?
I applied two times online for the TRV. Within 3 days I got the rejection email. They gave the same reasons for both times.
Purpose of Visit
Family Ties in Canada and Country of Residence
Personal assets and Financial Status

bruceg

Dec 27, 2018
Hello! Wandered here from the November thread. Timing to date: delivery of package Nov 27, return of package due to a missing form Feb 4. New package delivered Feb 18. Will see where I end up in the queue :). US application

alaria

Apr 17, 2018
Hello! Wandered here from the November thread. Timing to date: delivery of package Nov 27, return of package due to a missing form Feb 4. New package delivered Feb 18. Will see where I end up in the queue :). US application
Good luck! :)

JoshC

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
21-11-2018
AOR Received.
29-01-2019
File Transfer...
27-02-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
25-02-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
30-05-2019
Good luck with the application. Here's hoping it goes swiftly for you!

usamatk

Star Member
Aug 27, 2014
So I the application for my wife's sponsorship was received today at Sydney processing center and I just realized that I didn't use the latest forms. The forms had been sitting on my computer since like June 2018 and I prepared my package using them. What are the chances of this getting returned? Also, I didn't pay Biometric fee for my wife and son because they're US citizens so I hope I did the right thing there at least