+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FEBRUARY 2019 *OUTLAND* SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
So I the application for my wife's sponsorship was received today at Sydney processing center and I just realized that I didn't use the latest forms. The forms had been sitting on my computer since like June 2018 and I prepared my package using them. What are the chances of this getting returned? Also, I didn't pay Biometric fee for my wife and son because they're US citizens so I hope I did the right thing there at least
If you prepared the entire application with forms that are pushing a year old there's certainly a chance of it being returned.

alaria

Apr 17, 2018
So I the application for my wife's sponsorship was received today at Sydney processing center and I just realized that I didn't use the latest forms. The forms had been sitting on my computer since like June 2018 and I prepared my package using them. What are the chances of this getting returned? Also, I didn't pay Biometric fee for my wife and son because they're US citizens so I hope I did the right thing there at least
Hi! I don't want to frustrate you, but if you didn't use the latest forms, there is a pretty big chance of a return.

It's ok for biometric, if you need them, IRCC will request a payment later and send you a letter so your wife can go and provide biometric.

Krissh2179

Nov 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
14-02-2019
Sorry to say but your application is bound to be returned back if you have not been using the latest (or last updated) forms. The only form that might have not been returned was the recently changed checklist form. All other forms have been changed considerably since Nov 2018. If for the United States it does not specify biometrics is compulsory then its all good. But the return is inevitable. If only you would have checked it once.

usamatk

Star Member
Aug 27, 2014
Sorry to say but your application is bound to be returned back if you have not been using the latest (or last updated) forms. The only form that might have not been returned was the recently changed checklist form. All other forms have been changed considerably since Nov 2018. If for the United States it does not specify biometrics is compulsory then its all good. But the return is inevitable. If only you would have checked it once.
I have a habit of double and triple checking everything but this was somehow hard to catch. I just had a look at my package and there's quite a few outdated ones. Prayers can work wonders so I'll still stay positive. I won't know until like mid of April in either case.

JoshC

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
21-11-2018
AOR Received.
29-01-2019
File Transfer...
27-02-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
25-02-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
30-05-2019
I have a habit of double and triple checking everything but this was somehow hard to catch. I just had a look at my package and there's quite a few outdated ones. Prayers can work wonders so I'll still stay positive. I won't know until like mid of April in either case.
With regards to Biometrics for US citizens:

As a U.S. citizen or national, you don’t need to give your biometrics.

Exception: If you apply for permanent residence in Canada, you need to give your biometrics.
So In this case you’d need to pay for biometrics.

Outdated forms are usually given a grace period. Although It’s safe to say that in this case that period is well and truly over. It may be worth contacting CIC to enquire if they could send it back and then redo the application with the latest forms, or you’re going to face a possible 3 month wait.

Last edited:

anton1990

Champion Member
Dec 22, 2015
North Battleford
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
14-04-2016
Nomination.....
21-04-2016
AOR Received.
11-07-2016
Med's Request
02-05-2017
Med's Done....
09-05-2017
Passport Req..
08-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2017
LANDED..........
14-01-2018
Good morning,

I am sponsoring my wife from Ukraine.

I am in North Battleford, SK

Documents received by CIC Feb 18, 2019

Krissh2179

Nov 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
14-02-2019
With regards to Biometrics for US citizens:

So In this case you’d need to pay for biometrics.

Outdated forms are usually given a grace period. Although It’s safe to say that in this case that period is well and truly over. It may be worth contacting CIC to enquire if they could send it back and then redo the application with the latest forms, or you’re going to face a possible 3 month wait.
Asking to gain info for someone who may need similar help in the future. Is it possible that the said person creates a fresh application package with all the updated forms and courier that while at the same time going through the process of withdrawing the application they just sent. That would save a lot of time if it is a viable option.

alaria

Apr 17, 2018
Asking to gain info for someone who may need similar help in the future. Is it possible that the said person creates a fresh application package with all the updated forms and courier that while at the same time going through the process of withdrawing the application they just sent. That would save a lot of time if it is a viable option.
There are so many documents in an application, like birthday certificates, marriage certificates, police certificate, etc, and all of them have to be translated and notarised, and it's money and time. Some of the documents even have to be original. So I'd say for some people it would be impossible to create a new application without getting an old one back.

But if you don't need to translate and notarize anything, and no original papers, then it might be an option. But there is a chance it will mess everything up, if you can't properly withdraw your first app before the second comes.

JoshC

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
21-11-2018
AOR Received.
29-01-2019
File Transfer...
27-02-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
25-02-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
30-05-2019
I’m not sure, that’s why I advised him to contact CIC. I’ve had a dig around the forums but can’t see much about it.

If CIC can accommodate the request then I’m sure most would prefer to get their applications back and redone, regardless of the the cost than have to wait 2-3 months for rejection, followed by another 2-3 months waiting for AOR.

@usamatk, if you do contact them could you let us know what they say?

Krissh2179

Nov 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
14-02-2019
I’m not sure, that’s why I advised him to contact CIC. I’ve had a dig around the forums but can’t see much about it.

If CIC can accommodate the request then I’m sure most would prefer to get their applications back and redone, regardless of the the cost than have to wait 2-3 months for rejection, followed by another 2-3 months waiting for AOR.

@usamatk, if you do contact them could you let us know what they say?
@usamatk yes do keep us updated on the situation. Also this makes so much sense than wasting close to 4-6 months. Fees are refunded if withdrawn right? So I dont think that would be an issue but yes as @alaria said bit of a hassle getting everything in order again but worth it I think.

alaria

Apr 17, 2018
@usamatk yes do keep us updated on the situation. Also this makes so much sense than wasting close to 4-6 months. Fees are refunded if withdrawn right? So I dont think that would be an issue but yes as @alaria said bit of a hassle getting everything in order again but worth it I think.
Hi @Krissh2179 , for the last couple of weeks I've seen here 2-3 people whose application was returned. IRCC will return it to you as soon as they get to it, the time is same as getting AOR (plus Canada Post delivery, add around 10 days here). So it's 2-2.5 months. If you know it's gonna be returned, you can prepare all the forms, and as soon as you get a returned app, just replace the forms and submit it with a courier the same day.

I'm not protecting this way of doing things, not at all :) I'm just saying the wasting time is around 2.5 months, not 4-6. Every application is different, depending if you have/don't have kids, if you have lived in one/many countries, if you were/weren't previously married. The more conditions you have, the more papers you need to gather for a new application. It even depends if you're, say, from US, you don't even need translations, just make copies and you're good to go.

To sum it up, yes, I agree with you, it's worth knowing the option to prepare and submit a new application before getting an old one. But for those it's a real hassle to gather all new docs, it's not the end of the world to wait 2.5 months. You can see an example on a previous page, where @bruceg lost less then 3 months in total, when their application was returned and filed again.

JoshC

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
21-11-2018
AOR Received.
29-01-2019
File Transfer...
27-02-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
25-02-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
30-05-2019
It’s not the end of the world to wait 2.5 months. You can see an example on a previous page, where @bruceg lost less then 3 months in total, when their application was returned and filed again.
When I referred to 4-6 months I was thinking more along the lines of rather than it taking 2-3 months to have AOR and the process begin to flow, you end up waiting 2-3 months only to be rejected and then back to square one in which you again need to wait 2-3 months to receive your AOR.

Whilst you say it’s not the end of the world it’s a 2-3 month setback that I’m sure nobody would wish for... a lot of us are away from our loved ones: partners, children, family and 2-3 extra months away from them is a killer as I’m sure you’ll agree.

Reactions: alaria

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
When I referred to 4-6 months I was thinking more along the lines of rather than it taking 2-3 months to have AOR and the process begin to flow, you end up waiting 2-3 months only to be rejected and then back to square one in which you again need to wait 2-3 months to receive your AOR.

Whilst you say it’s not the end of the world it’s a 2-3 month setback that I’m sure nobody would wish for... a lot of us are away from our loved ones: partners, children, family and 2-3 extra months away from them is a killer as I’m sure you’ll agree.
Agree 2-3 months is a huge setback but 99% of returns are due to applicant fault. Unfortunately just the way it is.

Reactions: JoshC

JoshC

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
21-11-2018
AOR Received.
29-01-2019
File Transfer...
27-02-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
25-02-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
30-05-2019
Agree 2-3 months is a huge setback but 99% of returns are due to applicant fault. Unfortunately just the way it is.
It’s a shame that a lot of people only discover this forum once they’ve sent their application in and begin the anxiety ridden journey for AOR1. :rolleyes: