+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting/Importing Vehicle - US to Canada ONLY!

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Hi Guys....Can anyone help here in my situation?
I am already in Canada with car with US number plate.. I did not do any export from USA earlier as i came as visitor for few months.. Now i cannot go to USA as visa is no longer valid, but i am PR so i want to stay here for long now..
so how do i export car from usa now ?
or
how to import it in canada now without export from usa?
Or
Is it possible to go to USA export office at border without entering US?

Thanks in advance

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hi Guys....Can anyone help here in my situation?
I am already in Canada with car with US number plate.. I did not do any export from USA earlier as i came as visitor for few months.. Now i cannot go to USA as visa is no longer valid, but i am PR so i want to stay here for long now..
so how do i export car from usa now ?
or
how to import it in canada now without export from usa?
Or
Is it possible to go to USA export office at border without entering US?

Thanks in advance
All your questions are already answered in this or similar treads.

1. The vehicle export is US requirement. You can hire a person/company with Power of Attorney to do your vehicle Export.
3. It's not possible "to go to USA export office at border without entering US".
2. As RIV suggested - if the vehicle is already in Canada you can go directly to CBSA office from Canadian side and do import. You will get the Form 1 from CBSA and use that form for RIV processing. The Canadian side does not care about US rules.

You've mentioned that you are already PR coming to Canada earlier as visitor. So, probably, you do not have BSF186- Personal Effects Accounting document to document goods to import or goods which are to follow at a later date with your vehicle (conveyances - make, model, serial number of vehicle ) listed there. It means, I think, you will have to pay import duties on your vehicle ( calculated by CBSA).

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
All your questions are already answered in this or similar treads.

1. The vehicle export is US requirement. You can hire a person/company with Power of Attorney to do your vehicle Export.
3. It's not possible "to go to USA export office at border without entering US".
2. As RIV suggested - if the vehicle is already in Canada you can go directly to CBSA office from Canadian side and do import. You will get the Form 1 from CBSA and use that form for RIV processing. The Canadian side does not care about US rules.

You've mentioned that you are already PR coming to Canada earlier as visitor. So, probably, you do not have BSF186- Personal Effects Accounting document to document goods to import or goods which are to follow at a later date with your vehicle (conveyances - make, model, serial number of vehicle ) listed there. It means, I think, you will have to pay import duties on your vehicle ( calculated by CBSA).
Thanks for detailed answer...
1. Can you please elaborate on how to hire a person or company for exporting vehicle from USA when the vehicle is already in Canada?
2. Good to know Canadian side does not care about US rule and i read same at other posts but was not fully sure.. Do you know if we can go directly to CBSA office near us like in Mississuaga or it can be done only at any border?

The car was already declared on goods to follow form on soft landing last year... here the visitor trip was much after the soft landing... so i don't think any duties have to be paid and even the value of car is much less than $10000 already as its old..

santab

Sep 15, 2018
Hi, I own a nissan vehicle. I purchased it this year from a car dealership in US. I now plan to move to Canada as PR and want to import my car.
As per VIN, the car is manufactured in South Korea. Does it mean this is not a US/Mexico/ Canada manufactured car (nafta) and hence eligible for 6% additional import fees? Where can I find exactly how much taxes i need to pay (before submitting my application on riv site)?

vj12

Oct 26, 2018
Hello All,

I am finding contradictory info and help if someone can share their experience it would be helpful. After exporting car from USA, do we fill the form 1 inside CBSA Office or we need to prefill the form on RIV website,pay fees and take the printout?

Thank you

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hello All,

I am finding contradictory info and help if someone can share their experience it would be helpful. After exporting car from USA, do we fill the form 1 inside CBSA Office or we need to prefill the form on RIV website,pay fees and take the printout?

Thank you
The Form 1 gets filled out and stamped by CBSA Officer. There is a case number there. The RIV process logically is the next step. But, since RIV gives you just 45 days to get car ready for inspection I paid RIV fees the same day I got my Form 1 and sent them an email with a proof of payment and a copy of Form 1 in order to get their Inspection form.

santab

Sep 15, 2018
Hello All,

Thank you
I had answered similar question in a post here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/steps-to-export-the-vehicle-from-usa-to-canada.528187/page-13#post-9001393

Hope this helps

candachalo

Feb 10, 2018
Hi Mates ! I have a weird situation. Due to COVID I had been spending majority of my time in Canada and was crossing border quite frequently. Last month when I was entering Canada, Canadian officer said you have to import your car today since you are spending more time here. After a long discussion they decided that my car has to be imported and completed the paperwork for import process and I was told I have 45 days to get my car exported from the USA.

Now my confusion here is, since my car is already imported do I still need RIV document ?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
You probably have just customs Form 1 and you have 45 days to do RIV inspection to satisfy Transport Canada rules. Your paperwork is not done yet, I do not remember what happens with your car if you are not done with RIV inspection in 45 days, but definitelly forget about crossing the border after that time ( I mean you can do only one way).

Without RIV inspection and RIV sticker your car (others - correct me if I am wrong) cannot be legally in Canada ( after 45 days).

Without RIV inspection and Safety inspection and proof of insurance ( and Canadian DL) you cannot get your car registered in Canada.

Reactions: candachalo

candachalo

Feb 10, 2018
You probably have just customs Form 1 and you have 45 days to do RIV inspection to satisfy Transport Canada rules. Your paperwork is not done yet, I do not remember what happens with your car if you are not done with RIV inspection in 45 days, but definitelly forget about crossing the border after that time ( I mean you can do only one way).

Without RIV inspection and RIV sticker your car (others - correct me if I am wrong) cannot be legally in Canada ( after 45 days).

Without RIV inspection and Safety inspection and proof of insurance ( and Canadian DL) you cannot get your car registered in Canada.
Thanks for your reply Alex. I have read other threads and what you said is correct !

Reactions: Alex54321

pramodsoori

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
Hi All, I am working on H1 visa in USA and applied ITN with passport number , is that fine? or do we need EIN ( Employee Identification Number) for exporting the Car from US to Canada .

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
No, I was using simplifiedtradesolutions.com to get my wife's ITN number ( $35) and just provided her Passport number, "U.S. address where vehicle begins its journey to Canada ", "Address of destination in Canada " , vehicle infio and some other information.

Check their website , maybe start filling form and you will see what needed.

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
No, I was using simplifiedtradesolutions.com to get my wife's ITN number ( $35) and just provided her Passport number, "U.S. address where vehicle begins its journey to Canada ", "Address of destination in Canada " , vehicle infio and some other information.

Check their website , maybe start filling form and you will see what needed.
What do i provide US address where begins its journey when I am already in Canada with car and planning to cross border just to export from usa side... Canadian side i have already initiated import and recieved form1...

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
What do i provide US address where begins its journey when I am already in Canada with car and planning to cross border just to export from usa side... Canadian side i have already initiated import and recieved form1...
There is no choice - you report your last US address. Be ready to explain to US customs officer your particular situation. I mean Canada - US situatioon. They do no care about Canada, they care that you have/had legal status in US.

pramodsoori

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
Hi , are there pointers for reaching the CBP office at the Lewiston Bridge for the Car Export directly on the US side. In google maps it makes us cross US border and come back.